Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats your must do's in oz

Whats your must do's in oz

Old Aug 14th 2005, 12:35 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats your must do's in oz

Chill out with a cold beer at the Beach Hotel in Byron Bay before reality strikes!

Cheers
Old Aug 14th 2005, 12:46 pm
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hi Mike, seems your 'to do list' is almost our 'have done list'!!!

1) Bridge climb - V.good. We did the twilight climb - it's light as you climb, sunsets at the top, night time and Sydney all lit up as you decend - very pretty and well worth having a go.

2) Not been to Whitehaven Beach yet!

3) Great ocean road - a great drive - lots of beautiful stops on the way - very scenic - felt a bit 'Thelma and Louise!!!'

4) Barrier reef scuba - make sure you go to the 'outer reef' as it's all pretty much but gone now, inner wise. Too many tourists standing on the coral. The further north and east in the reef you can go, the better. Cod hole is supposed to be spectacular (so ste tells me) if you can stomach the huge potato cod swimming besides you!!!

5) The coastal drive from Cairns to Port Douglas - well, we live here and have done the drive many, many times - never fails to make me smile. After Palm Cove, it's lots of secluded beaches, some of them rocky but all literally right along the roadside and very beautiful. Ellis beach is the next one up - V. nice. The further north you go, the better it gets and you should really go to Cape Tribulation - Noah Beach in particular is stunning, you can feel like a real 'castaway' for the day!

Am off to investigate Whitehaven Beach on the net now!!!
Good on ya!!

Its my top five as its the top things that I have done in Oz.

Make sure you go to Whitehaven beach, its stunning!! Most of the 5 were part of our 6500km drive from Adealide to Cairns when we arrived in Oz.

All the best!!

PS Reckon Cairns to Port is better than the Ocean Road even!!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molloymj
Good on ya!!

Its my top five as its the top things that I have done in Oz.

Make sure you go to Whitehaven beach, its stunning!! Most of the 5 were part of our 6500km drive from Adealide to Cairns when we arrived in Oz.

All the best!!

PS Reckon Cairns to Port is better than the Ocean Road even!!
Oh good for you! I read it as being your 'things to do when you get to oz' list, not things you have already done!!!

Yes, the scenery up here is quite spectacular at times but when you live here you do tend to take it for granted sometimes and the mention of other places gets your mind going and also the itchy feet!!!

Generally though, exceptionally glad we are here, it does make me smile ( the scenery and also the idea others have of the area). So many visit here but never think of settling - too hot, too humid, not enough stuff going on, not enough employment opportunities etc They will never know just how much they are missing!!!

The Adelaide to Cairns trip is quite a journey, how long did it take you?
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:33 pm

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Oh good for you! I read it as being your 'things to do when you get to oz' list, not things you have already done!!!

Yes, the scenery up here is quite spectacular at times but when you live here you do tend to take it for granted sometimes and the mention of other places gets your mind going and also the itchy feet!!!

Generally though, exceptionally glad we are here, it does make me smile ( the scenery and also the idea others have of the area). So many visit here but never think of settling - too hot, too humid, not enough stuff going on, not enough employment opportunities etc They will never know just how much they are missing!!!

The Adelaide to Cairns trip is quite a journey, how long did it take you?
2 months - but a few of the places we skipped through like Sydney as we are settling here, so didn't really need to do it on the trip.

Cost less than 200gbp in petrol for a 1.8 litre car - we were amazed! And the Aussies moan about their petrol prices!!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molloymj
2 months - but a few of the places we skipped through like Sydney as we are settling here, so didn't really need to do it on the trip.

Cost less than 200gbp in petrol for a 1.8 litre car - we were amazed! And the Aussies moan about their petrol prices!!
I'm not exactly sure how many thousands of K's it is between Ade and Crns but one things for sure, you'd have never been able to do that kind of distance in the UK for 200 GBP'S!!!!

How are you settling and how's SYD for you? Great city.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:46 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
Just wondering what are your top five things that you are going to do when you get to OZ.[list=1]
1. buy at hat!
2. swim with whale sharks (too scared last time)
3. visit that place that has the homes in the caves
4. buy a house with a pool
5. get a tan

Not very exciting!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:43 pm

I'm not exactly sure how many thousands of K's it is between Ade and Crns but one things for sure, you'd have never been able to do that kind of distance in the UK for 200 GBP'S!!!!

How are you settling and how's SYD for you? Great city.
Hi - it was about 6500kms with a few diversions.

sydney is great thanks, just looking for jobs at the moment. We have rented an apartment overlooking the harbour for the same we were paying in Manchester for our mortgage.....

Hows it going for you?