Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats a good wage in Aus?

Whats a good wage in Aus?

Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Far Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Whats a good wage in Aus?

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Sheeesh....he has been offered nearly twice the average income here in Australia and has only 2 kids and its like ohhhhh not sure if you will be fine or not. Teenagers will only spend all ya money if you let them.

Mate, you will have plenty, have a good lifestyle if you choose to.
Thank you very much for the encouragement.
I am not up to speed on the Aus cost of living and this job offer sorta came out of the blue! Its a big decision concerning the move and the last thing we would need was money problems starting off a fresh.
Thanks Siren & Brian, very much appreciated.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Far Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura about

A Big thanks to everyone who replied to my original post.

I don't work in IT as some have asked.

If you do not know what it costs to live in an area, it is nice to get some honest opinions from people on the ground there.

Some of the threads on here were scaring me to death as some were indicating prices on par with the UK and quite often more expensive?

So thanks to all for the plain simple living advice.

To the people who say over $120K is required I would be genuinely interested in what type of lifestyle you actually lead, because I guess it would be a little more exciting than what I would class as my NORMAL one.

To everyone many thanks indeed.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by diddy
Newsflash - Kerry Packer "The Richest Bloke in Australia" died last week. Alot of ******n good his money is now to him. Too many middle class, middle England t*ss*rs on this site who are obsessed with earning loads and putting down those that they think they earn more than. The best place for that attitude is England.

Paul.
Here Here

Well Said. I was hoping to get away from arseholes like this when we moved to Aus but it seems they are following us over
Old Jan 21st 2006, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The S's
Here Here

Well Said. I was hoping to get away from arseholes like this when we moved to Aus but it seems they are following us over
If your reply is aimed at me, I'd say that it is you who is the Arsehole and I would not be following you anywhere.

Arsehole's are always at the rear, so I reckon that's where you will be. Certainly not someone to be followed.

There will be one happy place back in England? That will be the place you left?

Any chance of you going back? If no, let me know where it was and I'll go there instead of Aus.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The 'Middle England tossers' reference made me laugh. There are loads of 'Lower England' tossers too who are also obsessed with money, in fact its probably worse as its the only thing they have. Look at Becks and Posh and most footballers. Look at every loadsamoney character down the pub. Not a single Middle Englander in sight.

Most of the people I know who are obsessed with money, ie shear materialism for materialism sake are not 'Middle Englanders'.

Why do so many people buy a 4x2, and have a boat/spa/lcd plasma on their wishlist. Are these all middle Englanders?

oops stirred it up now.

PS For those of you with 4x2 and boats. Noone wrong with it. But I think you know where I am coming from. Nobody minds a lifestyle reward for hard work, its just excess.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Jan 22nd 2006 at 12:24 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Far Fae Hame
Looking for some guidance here.

I have been offered a job (transfer) to Australia and the money they are offering is circa $8000 a month before taxes.

Is this a good wage for Australia, I have a family of 2 adults and two teenagers, will this give us a good standard of living?

Any pointers would be great as they are looking for an answer from me quite quickly.

Many Thanks in advance.

I can only dream of getting that sort of money!..
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:38 am
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

think IT man is also dreaming

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
I can only dream of getting that sort of money!..
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

If your reply is aimed at me, I'd say that it is you who is the Arsehole and I would not be following you anywhere.

Arsehole's are always at the rear, so I reckon that's where you will be. Certainly not someone to be followed.

There will be one happy place back in England? That will be the place you left?

Any chance of you going back? If no, let me know where it was and I'll go there instead of Aus.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Pick your dummy back up. In response it is not aimed at you, it is not aimed at anybody particular. I am sorry if I have offended you, that was not my intention, but you will be pleased to know you have offended me big time.

But as you will have noticed I am not ranting and raving, life's to short.

Till next time Goodbye....
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

To the people who say over $120K is required I would be genuinely interested in what type of lifestyle you actually lead, because I guess it would be a little more exciting than what I would class as my NORMAL one.
I wanted to respond to this post as it seems to be of the opinion that people who earn a good income are flashing it about driving porshes and wearing Rolexs - believe me you need to earn way more than this thread is on about to even begin to get into those realms (if you should desire to). I class mine and my husbands life plus our friends lives as normal and we all need earn above $120 nearer to $200K to enjoy our lives and be financially secure in our older years. We think we live a nice but normal life.

A normal life to us is:
Living in a good area (attractive house, proximity to CBD, beaches or national forest, good schools within walking distance or short car journey, a few grocery shops, the odd restaurant or bar within walking distance).
Persuing hobbies (husband belongs to local golf club - nothing fancy, I have a horse - ex racehorse again nothing fancy, and we both scuba dive)
Buying good quality wine and fresh food from butchers, fruit and Veg shops - without over zealously analysing prices or collecting coupons.
Having a daily paper delivered
Having a cleaner clean house and do ironing once a week
Having one overseas vacation trip a year (Pacific Islands, US, Thailand) plus a couple of weekend camping trips in Oz
Going back to the UK every 3 years
Owning and paying running costs for one reasonable car (Landrover)
Eating out once a week (nice steak or seafood restaurant), going out for drinks once a week, going to the movies once or twice a month.
Buying clothes from quality shops (David Jones, Myer, Diesel)
Monthly payments into pension and saving accounts

This life is not flash and we both work to pay for it but in our eyes it is normal and if you are hoping to replicate this in Sydney you need to earn $150k plus between you.

So in answer to Far Fae Hame this is what we constitute a normal but nice life. Everyone is different and I hope the breakdown may help others who view a 'normal' life as being similiar to our view with their salary bench lines and stop people posting about people earning upward of $120k being money obsessed and like posh and Becs - get real.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Red face Re: Whats a good wage in Aus?

Originally Posted by hubbard
I wanted to respond to this post as it seems to be of the opinion that people who earn a good income are flashing it about driving porshes and wearing Rolexs - believe me you need to earn way more than this thread is on about to even begin to get into those realms (if you should desire to). I class mine and my husbands life plus our friends lives as normal and we all need earn above $120 nearer to $200K to enjoy our lives and be financially secure in our older years. We think we live a nice but normal life.

A normal life to us is:
Living in a good area (attractive house, proximity to CBD, beaches or national forest, good schools within walking distance or short car journey, a few grocery shops, the odd restaurant or bar within walking distance).
Persuing hobbies (husband belongs to local golf club - nothing fancy, I have a horse - ex racehorse again nothing fancy, and we both scuba dive)
Buying good quality wine and fresh food from butchers, fruit and Veg shops - without over zealously analysing prices or collecting coupons.
Having a daily paper delivered
Having a cleaner clean house and do ironing once a week
Having one overseas vacation trip a year (Pacific Islands, US, Thailand) plus a couple of weekend camping trips in Oz
Going back to the UK every 3 years
Owning and paying running costs for one reasonable car (Landrover)
Eating out once a week (nice steak or seafood restaurant), going out for drinks once a week, going to the movies once or twice a month.
Buying clothes from quality shops (David Jones, Myer, Diesel)
Monthly payments into pension and saving accounts

This life is not flash and we both work to pay for it but in our eyes it is normal and if you are hoping to replicate this in Sydney you need to earn $150k plus between you.

So in answer to Far Fae Hame this is what we constitute a normal but nice life. Everyone is different and I hope the breakdown may help others who view a 'normal' life as being similiar to our view with their salary bench lines and stop people posting about people earning upward of $120k being money obsessed and like posh and Becs - get real.

Hi there
can't help but to reply to this......
Did you say you believe this is normal?
owning a horse, member of a golf club, eating out in nice restaurants every week, buying designer clothes, having a cleaner, driving a landrover??????

I don't think so!!!!
eating at KFC, doing your own housework like most women, driving an average family hatch and buying clothes from 'Matalan', 'Tesco's' etc...is what most people I know do. As for wages of $120k that's £51K!...alot of people in the uk don't own anywhere near that.

You've obviously worked very hard for what you have, but please don't bury your head and presume that's 'normal'!! it's far from it i'm afraid.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:56 pm
ABCDiamond

it seems to be of the opinion that people who earn a good income are flashing it about <<..>> I class mine and my husbands life plus our friends lives as normal and we all need earn above $120 nearer to $200K to enjoy our lives and be financially secure in our older years. We think we live a nice but normal life.
You do realise that $200k is almost FOUR times the average wage dont you ? We live our normal life on a LOT less than that, and still get to have holidays.

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You do realise that $200k is almost FOUR times the average wage dont you ? We live our normal life on a LOT less than that, and still get to have holidays.
exactly!!!! that was my point too....
I don't know what planet they're on but it's not the same as me and 100's of others i'm sure!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:11 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Agreed. Different planet mate.

Readers of this should realise that skilled immigrants are funnily enough skilled. There's plenty of Aussie families that get by on $40k to $50k per year working in Supermarkets, labouring, doing clerical work ect.

Alot of us forget that there's plenty of people alot worse of than most of us in Oz simply because we work in skilled area's whereas they don't. If you earn say 25,000 pounds in the UK, whether you think that's alot or not is up to you, there's plenty in the UK that would love to earn that sort of money. Australia is no different.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I class mine and my husbands life plus our friends lives as normal and we all need earn above $120 nearer to $200K to enjoy our lives and be financially secure in our older years. We think we live a nice but normal life.
:scared: :scared: I DREAM of earning that!
Then I wake up and realise my husband and I have a combined income of about $60K...........and enjoying ourselves, and on hols in the U.K. with a generally "nice" life.

Wish we were "normal" though.........
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
:scared: :scared: I DREAM of earning that!
Then I wake up and realise my husband and I have a combined income of about $60K...........and enjoying ourselves, and on hols in the U.K. with a generally "nice" life.

Wish we were "normal" though.........

Me too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.