Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats a good wage in Aus?

Wikiposts

Whats a good wage in Aus?

Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats a good wage in Aus?

I reckon $150k family income is good. This would enable you to:
Buy in a really nice house in a nice area, maybe buy a holiday home too,
Run 2 good cars, say a 4x4 & a nice runabout,
3 holidays a year, 1 longhaul, 1 in Asia, 1 in Australia,
Eat & drink what you like, eat out as often as you like,
Decent entertainment, buy some gadgets/toys,
Private schooling for your kids,
Decent medical insurance,
Invest & save & most importantly,
Save for your retirement.

For me this is a good amount to aim for.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:42 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
where in a material world unfortunately bred by the 60's, 70's generation
Watchoo talkin' bout Willis?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Without doing all the math I reckon you'd need more than $150k to live the live you are describing here. For example a trip back to the UK form me and family is about $10 - $12 grand (5 of us) - this means about 18-20 before tax.

The private schools and other holidays would quickly add up. Sure $150k would buy a great lifestyle but youre describing a "millionaire" lifestyle.

it's this bit "Buy in a really nice house in a nice area, maybe buy a holiday home too" that would use up all the money

Last edited by renth; Jan 10th 2006 at 4:49 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Or life doesn't get good, until you hit 80,000 K and above.
Very similar to my post in: What salary is good salary? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=50
So $80k would give us a $300k mortage, private school for 1 child, an overseas holiday per year, 2 decent cars (both 2001), and a reasonable living. But nothing flash

Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

at last someone who agrees, and I couldnt put it better.

Usually find those who say that amount is not on!!

have ferrel like tendencies, are sitting pretty or just cant be arsed going earning that type of dosh as basically they just dont want to...

heres to making loads of money and having expensive toys and pissing it all over,

like george best said "I spent loads of money on booze and girls and Squandered the rest!!!"
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

where in a material world unfortunately bred by the 60's, 70's generation

There's a place called Nimbin you know

http://www.nrg.com.au/~nimbin/

When I get home from work, same goes for the wife. It's nice to have a wine or a scotch, whack on the big tv, and not worry about the cost too much. Or in our case, have a holiday next week, not have any plans, but be able to go within reason and stay with our kids where ever we like. I'm happy enough working for that. Problem comes if one were to put the same amount of effort in the UK, could one be better off, choice and relaxation wise. That depends on what you like and need.

I bet if the Majority of the people at their peak in the 1950's and 60's could be suddenly transported to life today. they would prefer today.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:51 pm
(It's not my real name)

I was chatting to a member of staff here at the Uni today. His 34 year old son is working as a cleaner on a mine site, he's just started and is on a 2 week on 1 week off fly in fly out roster and is pulling in $100k.

There's serious cash to be earned here in WA.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

We would have to work at least 55 hours each per week to get near to that....

Hmmm might try it out on the wife first lol
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Without doing all the math I reckon you'd need more than $150k to live the live you are describing here. For example a trip back to the UK form me and family is about $10 - $12 grand (5 of us) - this means about 18-20 before tax.

The private schools and other holidays would quickly add up. Sure $150k would buy a great lifestyle but youre describing a "millionaire" lifestyle.

it's this bit "Buy in a really nice house in a nice area, maybe buy a holiday home too" that would use up all the money
Sure, I probably got a bit carried away there! But the general drift of my post was that I did not come all this way to struggle. I wasn't struggling in the UK & I want a better standard of living than I had there. I want to earn roundabout that amount. If I can't then we'll be moving to another country.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

I was chatting to a member of staff here at the Uni today. His 34 year old son is working as a cleaner on a mine site, he's just started and is on a 2 week on 1 week off fly in fly out roster and is pulling in $100k.

guy I worked with , left his shite $50k job in Brisbane went to Karratha and earns $120k, plus benefits, housing allowance

dont forget tax deductables, and tax allowance for being in a remote area,

You can work 5 years and have 5 years off then gt one of those shite jobs in a city for $50k as you woill have made your money if you plan it right
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Exactly. This is what i said earlier on in this thread. There are people out there in WA making major moolah. Labourers in the Pilbara are making $100k plus, train drivers even more. I worked with a guy who worked as an electrical inspector out there on $5k/week. I think a lot of people on the east coast can't grasp the scale of what's going on in WA & how the economy here is so totally different from the rest of Australia or how WA 'carries' the east coast.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:22 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I know Amazulu went on to post later that he possibly got a bit carried away....I was very glad about that cause I was just deciding I must be crap with my budget cause I cannot come near the things stated here and I have a really decent income.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:33 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

guy I worked with , left his shite $50k job in Brisbane went to Karratha and earns $120k, plus benefits, housing allowance

You can work 5 years and have 5 years off then gt one of those shite jobs in a city for $50k as you woill have made your money if you plan it right
Go on TM, you can do that, 5 years hard work in country WA & you'll have made enough money to be able to buy an investment property since that seems to be your all consuming passion & you wont ever succumb to the greeneyed monster (or have to change your name) again
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:34 pm
(It's not my real name)

The mining company my mate works for recuits "greenies" a couple of times a year and trains them up to drive dump trucks etc...

I'm seriously considering it, doubling my salary is very tempting and also once you're established and have gained different skills and do stuff like work underground you can earn even more.

Plus the accommodation is supposed to be great, rooms with ensuite bathrooms/gyms/bars although I suspect you'd be too knackered after a 10 or 12 hour shift to then go and do a work out.

Plus on a 2week on 1 week off roster you could time your 4 weeks annual leave to have two month long breaks.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:15 pm
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by davebwithane
I was in Sydney for 5 years on a salary of $85K gross. Net was $4,800 a month. Rent was $1600 a month. 2 very young kids to support and a wife and no we are not spendthrifts. Amount of money saved after 5 years = 0. I have been back in the the UK for the last 6 months, amount of money saved 6K pounds

On average how much will be for taxes and other deductions? You have said 85K (7083 p/m) gross and you get 4800 p/m net. Which means around 32% your employer has deducted as taxes or for something else. 32% per month is a big amount. Appreciate if anyone can explain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.