Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats a good wage in Aus?

Wikiposts

Whats a good wage in Aus?

Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Far Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura about
Default Whats a good wage in Aus?

Looking for some guidance here.

I have been offered a job (transfer) to Australia and the money they are offering is circa $8000 a month before taxes.

Is this a good wage for Australia, I have a family of 2 adults and two teenagers, will this give us a good standard of living?

Any pointers would be great as they are looking for an answer from me quite quickly.

Many Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:45 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats a good wage in Aus?

Originally Posted by Far Fae Hame
... the money they are offering is circa $8000 a month before taxes.
$96000 a year would generally be considered more than reasonable. Whether it will be enough for you to live on depends what standard of living you are used to and where you would be living.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's not bad, I dont know many people earning 96,000, outside of the Medical profession, and tradesmen running their own business. For a Paye earner it's right up there.

Standard of living with 2 Teenagers, hmmm, bottomless pit innit

Lets put it this way, if it were just you and your partner, it would be a fantastic income.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:24 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I have been offered a job (transfer) to Australia and the money they are offering is circa $8000 a month before taxes.

Is this a good wage for Australia, I have a family of 2 adults and two teenagers, will this give us a good standard of living?

Any pointers would be great as they are looking for an answer from me quite quickly.

Many Thanks in advance.
Is it a perm transfer or 457 (possibly LAFHA) and where are you planning on living. What type of accommodation will you be looking for? Some of these factors would influence whether you are living it up on that or not. For some areas in Sydney this is an average income for a family of four with house rentals at around $2000 a month After normal tax you will be left with 5487. Approx 1260 a week basic groceries etc less rent then all your lifes must haves. The two teenagers will proprably not be attending private school on that Salary.

Does this 8000 per month include your super (pension) or would super reduce this amount further. What about health cover that can be as much as 400 a month for decent cover for an older family.

Possible being a doom and gloom merchant and you are coming for the 'lifestyle'

Last edited by Sandra; Jan 9th 2006 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Many Thanks in advance.
Hi

Whereabouts in Oz??

Kim
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Many Thanks in advance.
Are you on a 457 Visa coming to Brisbane ?

I know people on less than that up here, and they are OK, also some people on more than that, and they are better than OK

Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Far Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura aboutFar Fae Hame has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the info so far.
I am looking at staying around Brisbane.

It will be originally on a 457 visa. The company says it will give me $2k towards private medical if I need it?

I would hopefully buy a 3-4 bed house, nothing that fantastic, just enough room for us and the occasional visitor!

I know we all live a different life, but we don't go out partying all the time, we are pretty much normal, no delusions of grandeur or anything like that!

I was just checking because when they offer you a job, they always go on about the cost of living in Aus being far cheaper than the UK? Never having been in Aus I don't know?

Thanks for all the info, it helps me make a more educated decision on wether to jump in with both feet and go for it or just to hang fire and freeze here at home?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:16 pm
ABCDiamond

Thanks for all the info, it helps me make a more educated decision on wether to jump in with both feet and go for it or just to hang fire and freeze here at home?
Can you afford to take a few years out of your UK life, try something new, and go back if it doesn't suit ?
If the answer is Yes, then jump in with both feet

Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info so far.
I am looking at staying around Brisbane.

It will be originally on a 457 visa. The company says it will give me $2k towards private medical if I need it?

I would hopefully buy a 3-4 bed house, nothing that fantastic, just enough room for us and the occasional visitor!

I know we all live a different life, but we don't go out partying all the time, we are pretty much normal, no delusions of grandeur or anything like that!

I was just checking because when they offer you a job, they always go on about the cost of living in Aus being far cheaper than the UK? Never having been in Aus I don't know?

I wouldn't like to have anything over a 150,000 mortgage with that kind of income combined with Teenagers. So factor that in.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:09 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Sheeesh....he has been offered nearly twice the average income here in Australia and has only 2 kids and its like ohhhhh not sure if you will be fine or not. Teenagers will only spend all ya money if you let them.

Mate, you will have plenty, have a good lifestyle if you choose to.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

If you dont want the job, then i will have it!!!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:18 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Approx 1260 a week basic groceries etc
I hope that was a typo and you meant per month???
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Sheeesh....he has been offered nearly twice the average income here in Australia and has only 2 kids and its like ohhhhh not sure if you will be fine or not. Teenagers will only spend all ya money if you let them.

Mate, you will have plenty, have a good lifestyle if you choose to.
so true. It never ceases to amaze me how much money people manage to spend. With a small mortgage, 80plus is quite adequate in Melbourne anyhow. If you bought prior to 1999, it is probably OK in Sydney too.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:26 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

If he doesn't want the 80K job i'll have it as haven't heard anyone else I know around here on that sort of money. Would say it's def more than the normal persons average wage more like top job wage.

Most Doctors I work with aren't even on that much.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:42 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks in advance.
Definitely is a very good wage! Go for it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.