Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What year at school will my child go into????????

What year at school will my child go into????????

Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What year at school will my child go into????????

Originally Posted by emelems
Strange really - as my son is a Sept birthday, he has always been the oldest (or one of) in his school year, yet now he will be with the younger.. and my daughter (a May birthday) will now be one of the older, whereas in the UK she was one of the younger students!

Ah well.. nothing important in that.. was just pondering really !

Em x
Em, it may not be important to us, but I think my son has always been secretly proud of being the oldest in his year and was openly disappointed when he realised that he would not be any more

But then, if that's the worst they have to put up with then life could be a lot worse ... we could be staying in the UK !!!!!!!!!!
No way !
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:15 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

the kids go into a year with the kids the same age as them.

My 12 year old daughter was in 2nd year at high school, although she was one of the youngest in her year. Here she goes into year 7, and in now one of the oldest in her year.

They will keep kids the same age together.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:01 am
Just Joined

kathkim is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What year at school will my child go into????????

yes we start high school at 12 here and in the uk it used to be age 11.nice to see lots of poms (like myself) moving here to Brisbane .we are in the Springwood area what parts are you coming too?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:51 am

dazem has a spectacular aura aboutdazem has a spectacular aura aboutdazem has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Katehn
Hi ,
I'm glad you asked this question two of my children are in the same year as yours, i havent been able to get my head round it. we are heading to Brissy to, looking to settle on the sunshine coast.
Thank you Datamile for the info
Hi Katehn

We are heading to the Redcliffe area of Brisbane as soon as well sell house etc etc. Its taken me ages to get my head around the schooling age thing too, but i think i have got the hang of it now!!

Thanks to everyone who replied

Emma x
Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont think about "repeating a year" or "accelerating" just go with the nomenclature of the chronological peer group - it is much easier that way! Even moving from state to state, kids from Queensland think they have to repeat if they come to ACT for example - it is mainly to do with the way that we label the years. Some states start with Year 1 but others start with Kindergarten or similar. My guess is that coming to Aus, kids from UK will, in fact, have done much of the stuff being done by kids the same age here anyway (anecdotal evidence only!).