Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What year at school will my child go into????????

What year at school will my child go into????????

Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:03 am

dazem has a spectacular aura aboutdazem has a spectacular aura aboutdazem has a spectacular aura about
Default What year at school will my child go into????????

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if anyone can help please?? I have done forum searches but can't find what i'm looking for.

We are planning to hopefully (depends on house sale and visa) be in Brisbane before christmas this year. My son has just started Year 3 and my daughter Year 2 this september. What year would they go into in their new school??? Would they finish Year 2 and 1 respectively, then start Year 3 and Year 2 in January when the new year starts????

Any help would be geartly received,

Thanks

Emma x
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:20 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What year at school will my child go into????????

Originally Posted by dazem
Hi everyone

I'm wondering if anyone can help please?? I have done forum searches but can't find what i'm looking for.

We are planning to hopefully (depends on house sale and visa) be in Brisbane before christmas this year. My son has just started Year 3 and my daughter Year 2 this september. What year would they go into in their new school??? Would they finish Year 2 and 1 respectively, then start Year 3 and Year 2 in January when the new year starts????

Thanks

Emma x
I can't help, but I am VERY interested in the answer too! I have 2 children who are currently Year 5 and Year 6 as from this September UK year.. and we hope to be in Australia by February so what year would they go into??

Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:39 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

This is right for Queensland for the current year

DOB
01/01/01 - 31/12/01 Year 1
01/01/00 - 31/12/00 Year 2
01/01/99 - 31/12/99 Year 3
01/01/98 - 31/12/98 Year 4
01/01/97 - 31/12/97 Year 5
01/01/96 - 31/12/96 Year 6
01/01/95 - 31/12/95 Year 7
01/01/94 - 31/12/94 Year 8

Last edited by datamile; Sep 8th 2007 at 10:41 am.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:36 am

dazem has a spectacular aura aboutdazem has a spectacular aura aboutdazem has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by datamile
This is right for Queensland

DOB
Thank you so much for that it is really helpful. Does that mean what they would be in currently or from January?? Hope that meakes sense,

Cheers Emma x
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:40 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

This is the year that they would be in currently
Old Sep 10th 2007, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Thanks ! Thats very handy to know..

Em x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dazem
Hi everyone

Thanks

Emma x
Hi ,
I'm glad you asked this question two of my children are in the same year as yours, i havent been able to get my head round it. we are heading to Brissy to, looking to settle on the sunshine coast.
Thank you Datamile for the info
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:06 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

So it looks like if you arrive in Australia between Sept and January your kids will go back into the year they had just completed in the Uk.

If you arrive between Jan and August they will remain in the same year they were in.

Think that's right
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kapri
So it looks like if you arrive in Australia between Sept and January your kids will go back into the year they had just completed in the Uk.

If you arrive between Jan and August they will remain in the same year they were in.

Think that's right
That sounds right. They would only be repeating a little bit anyway. The way i see it you would be at an advantage because if you need to keep them out of school for a little bit whilst you find a place to settle it won't matter so much. Thats what i'm telling myself anyway as we don't know exactly where we are going to settle.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough

This is right for Queensland for the current year

DOB
Originally Posted by Kapri

Think that's right
Ok, so now I'm confused all over again - just when I thought I understood the system !

Maybe my son is just plain awkward ?? He will be 13 this week and has just returned to UK school in year 8.

According to datamile, in Oz, after January he would go up into year 9 ?
But according to Kapri he will remain in year 8 and actually repeat part of the year he has already started ?

I guess we will find out for sure once we actually arrive ... but it would be nice to know ( something !! ) in advance !
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:58 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katehn
That sounds right. They would only be repeating a little bit anyway. The way i see it you would be at an advantage because if you need to keep them out of school for a little bit whilst you find a place to settle it won't matter so much. Thats what i'm telling myself anyway as we don't know exactly where we are going to settle.
Yes - it's the same for us
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:11 pm
DownUnder

Originally Posted by SunnyMD
Ok, so now I'm confused all over again - just when I thought I understood the system !

Maybe my son is just plain awkward ?? He will be 13 this week and has just returned to UK school in year 8.

According to datamile, in Oz, after January he would go up into year 9 ?
But according to Kapri he will remain in year 8 and actually repeat part of the year he has already started ?

I guess we will find out for sure once we actually arrive ... but it would be nice to know ( something !! ) in advance !
I think Kapri was just quoting the case for hers - its your child's birthday that decides (not when you get here) - we know as we got it wrong when we arrived - partly because from BE we thought it was usual to have to repeat part of a year when in fact our daughter will end up only doing 1/2 of year 4. So if we were arriving now she would have just started year 4 in the UK but would still start Year 5 here in Jan. Our dates/years are correct for Queensland.

It can be confusing, especially since it differs between states!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough

I think Kapri was just quoting the case for hers - its your child's birthday that decides (not when you get here) - we know as we got it wrong when we arrived - partly because from BE we thought it was usual to have to repeat part of a year when in fact our daughter will end up only doing 1/2 of year 4. So if we were arriving now she would have just started year 4 in the UK but would still start Year 5 here in Jan. Our dates/years are correct for Queensland.

It can be confusing, especially since it differs between states!
Excellent
Thank you so much ... we had hoped that it would work that way as he is "old" for his age and mixes with boys a year or 2 above his own year at school - the weird goth type luckily, who appreciate his sense of humour !
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

It's very confusing! Scotland differs from England, right now my daughters are in Primary 5 and Primary 3, but in OZ they'd go back a whole year to be in year 4 and year 2
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

Strange really - as my son is a Sept birthday, he has always been the oldest (or one of) in his school year, yet now he will be with the younger.. and my daughter (a May birthday) will now be one of the older, whereas in the UK she was one of the younger students!

Ah well.. nothing important in that.. was just pondering really !

Em x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.