Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What The Hell Is Wrong With Oz !!??!!

What The Hell Is Wrong With Oz !!??!!

Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:52 pm
Badge

Default Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With Oz !!??!!

I'm with Bix because I do a job that takes 100pc concentration and you often need a bit of a break which is fun and intellectually stimulating but not hard work - a chat to a work colleague helps but a forum is a way a lot of people take time out in a work environment where the office is quiet.

I don't really watch TV - I have never taken it seriously - i would rather be in a rugby forum, researching something or reading - BE is reading but you can just delve in to it. with a wireless laptop it is too easy.

Also there is always something new and geuninely interesting to learn from the likes of MrsD, ABC, Megs and the posters who have a good attitude. This is probably the only place where anyone can really find out the true costs - even an aussie would be interested to find what his compatriots are earning etc.

I would go on a UK site - from an aussie perspective - would be funny to hear what they say.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Jun 19th 2005 at 9:54 pm.

Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:03 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Strange to claim to want a balanced view but only from people who love it here???????
I agree that some posts can be tedious and whingey, but some returnees have valuable stuff to pass on. Before I arrived Dotty was my favourite poster though I know she wasnt universally popular, also had loads of help from Mrs D, ABC, Polly, Hevs and the positive peeps, bit of balance and diversity is surely good, after all, no-ones going to not come because of a comment on a forum, and we can all make our own minds up when we get here?
I think its being jumped on and critisized for expressing unpopular opinions that puts a lot of people off posting when they get here.
Michaela
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:26 am
Badge

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Strange to claim to want a balanced view but only from people who love it here???????
I agree that some posts can be tedious and whingey, but some returnees have valuable stuff to pass on. Before I arrived Dotty was my favourite poster though I know she wasnt universally popular, also had loads of help from Mrs D, ABC, Polly, Hevs and the positive peeps, bit of balance and diversity is surely good, after all, no-ones going to not come because of a comment on a forum, and we can all make our own minds up when we get here?
I think its being jumped on and critisized for expressing unpopular opinions that puts a lot of people off posting when they get here.
Michaela
No one minds balance and realism whereever they are, it's the sensationalists ie. "Oh my god, Australia is *27* years behind", the 'tale-tales' and troublemakers that are a bore.

Badge

Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:26 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
No one minds balance and realism whereever they are, it's the sensationalists ie. "Oh my god, Australia is *27* years behind", the 'tale-tales' and troublemakers that are a bore.

Badge
Absolutely.

I still think that the person who you really have to consider is the one who has made the decision, sold up or whatever, taken the risk, is still waiting for the flight but is hugely aware of the responsibility they are carrying.

Then you read a post which is sensationalist in a negative way. The poster gets off on the fact that they've offloaded their hang ups. Meanwhile the would be migrant has a sleepless night worrying about something unnecessarily!

It's not a case of just hearing "balance from those who love it here". I want to know the pitfalls and how to avoid them - from anyone. It's just good to get the positives also - and some posters just don't seem to be able to give any positives.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:29 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by NKSK
Absolutely.

I still think that the person who you really have to consider is the one who has made the decision, sold up or whatever, taken the risk, is still waiting for the flight but is hugely aware of the responsibility they are carrying.

Then you read a post which is sensationalist in a negative way. The poster gets off on the fact that they've offloaded their hang ups. Meanwhile the would be migrant has a sleepless night worrying about something unnecessarily!

It's not a case of just hearing "balance from those who love it here". I want to know the pitfalls and how to avoid them - from anyone. It's just good to get the positives also - and some posters just don't seem to be able to give any positives.
Spot on. Deserves karma

Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:32 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
and some posters just don't seem to be able to give any positives.
A pair of small marks used to indicated that the word, phrase, or figure given above is to be repeated = ditto.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bix
A pair of small marks used to indicated that the word, phrase, or figure given above is to be repeated = ditto.
"

In normal font size they were almost invisible

Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boomie
to be honest - we have been here 8 months now and the fact that we dont have relatives over here for help - I use this site like its an extension to our family...... there are alot of peeps who have been tho the same experiences and are more than willing to support us and offer advice.

boomie
and I love the site I may very well never get to Oz (well stay anyway!) .... :scared: but it's never gonna be a DEF for me. I've winged and winged on here, had some good feedback from the winge too! had a real lot of fun as well

I see loads of ppl on here who are 'out there' and still post. Ok, many do dissapear, but not all!

A fellow 'wannabe' expat aint gonna be a lot of help are they! ..... someone IS answering these Oz queries!

thank gawd!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:49 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've been over here more than 2 years, like it and still post from time to time.

The forum is pretty dull though with the same threads time and time again. I've been "lurking" in other forums (fora?) recently like the middle east one and the lounge and getting entertained by some good threads and discovering new links like the Expat Telegraph
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here but am too busy to post much now. In the UK I was stuck indoors with a wee bubba, he is now old enough to take out each day. I have also got hooked on cr&ppy TV programmes!
I do come on when I see mates or amusing/interesting threads but there was a lot of bad feeling recently and I think the forum doesn't feel quite the same anymore I won't go on but people in Perth will know

There just isn't the motivation to come on sooo much after you have settled as you're not doing all the research you did in the UK, you start making friends elsewhere but it would be a shame to totally cut off and not help people. Also, some things you just need to chat to other Expats about.I like coming on here and seeing familiar names who I've kind of got to know.
Hmmm I had a Caramel Koala the other day and it was yum, so all is well!