Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Enough said ...

*sobs* ... *sniffs* ... *wipes tear* ...

Originally Posted by tonynhayley
Hey all,

Still over in UK at present, currently doing TRA so a long way to go but its great finding out about Oz on this forum, reading about peoples experiences.

Started this thread cos I am interested in finding out what the UK has that Oz doesn't......yet.

Keen to find out what products, food, businesses, shops etc people miss out in Oz, be interesting to find out. So far people have said that they miss the cheap clothing and british telly (minority though, LOL), anything else?
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I must admit that in the UK the post office was one organisation that I had nothing but contempt for. There always seemed to be so little continuity between any one - From opening hours, to services offered to prices charged etc.

It really did irk me at times that I had an alleged post office 2 minutes walk from my house, but had to go into the city to tax my car because they didn't offer that service there.

And the fact that in Loughborough - a reasonably sized country town - the main post office was closed all weekend. What the hell use is that to anybody?

Grrrr. Rant over.

S

S
My experience of Australia is the way some the basics get done and addressed - Centerlink, ATO, VicRoads (can get a number plate and photo license on the spot there - could you do that at the 'Postoffice'?)- and the range of services at the Post Office is actually - to be fair quite impressive - I can't really knock it. I was even able to lodge a passport app there without having to traipse somewhere else.

I'm off to take my parrellel universe medication. Lol.

Edit I realise that some people might be able to point me to examples of where the UK has better online services, but often these are not that well documentated, used, and often you do want to lodge in person and speak to someone. Having said that I lodged my tax return OK online here, and lodged applications for marriage certificates online, choosing to pick them up manually. All good.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 19th 2007 at 12:26 am.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My experience of Australia is the way some the basics get done and addressed - Centerlink, ATO, VicRoads (can get a number plate and photo license on the spot there - could you do that at the 'Postoffice'?)- and the range of services at the Post Office is actually - to be fair quite impressive - I can't really knock it. I was even able to lodge a passport app there without having to traipse somewhere else.
I agree they do have a more efficient way of dealing with the 'day to day' life running needs of actually living - like going and sorting out a driving licence. Couldn't be easier. Not having to go to the post office to collect the forms, then fill in the forms, finding a Dr or a JP to sign the photos, then mail them back to DVLA, wait for several weeks, phone to enquire, find they never received the forms, repeat ad nauseum...

I've been very impressed by the efficiency of things here since I arrived. It's certainly not perfect, but I find many of the basic services are much less stressful, and more easily accessible.

S
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I agree they do have a more efficient way of dealing with the 'day to day' life running needs of actually living - like going and sorting out a driving licence. Couldn't be easier. Not having to go to the post office to collect the forms, then fill in the forms, finding a Dr or a JP to sign the photos, then mail them back to DVLA, wait for several weeks, phone to enquire, find they never received the forms, repeat ad nauseum...

I've been very impressed by the efficiency of things here since I arrived. It's certainly not perfect, but I find many of the basic services are much less stressful, and more easily accessible.

S
Indeed : dare I add a bit of cheek? Put that in your pipe and smoke it(!)

OK back on topic - the UK has more, more, [thinks for a while] older buildings - ones over 200 years old like churches. Loads of things that if you seek them out, can give some people a warm feeling.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:40 am

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough

The women are certainly "hotter" in Oz !!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
The women are certainly "hotter" in Oz !!
I find that a ready smile and a certain look that Aussie girls have more than makes up for perhaps other 'defects' lol. Apart from that there are real stunners.

The most beautiful English girl can be spoilt with an otherwise sour face or a kind of stressed look. It's sometimes noticeble when you go back.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:20 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
Completely 100 per cent disagree with you. The more I am in England the more I realise just how well everything is done in Australia, from the political system to the health system to the food to the transport system.

If anything people in England don't complain, that old "musn't grumble" adage... they might in the private sector but I cannot believe people accept having their rubbish lying around on the streets, lining up for close to an hour in a post office to get a stamp, having their transport network come crashing to a halt at the first dusting of snow etc etc

The term whinging POM refers to a section of english peope who go looking for fault wherever they can find it and then like rubbing it in the noses of arrogant Australians.
Of course we're all different, have different experiences etc. To some extent it depends where you live, too - for example, in NSW, the amount of litter lying around the roads is staggering, the way the transport "system" (government run) fails is legendary and the post office queues are the same as in the UK. To compare your own examples.

Might be different in SA or QLD - but, reading other posts I somehow doubt it.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol
Of course we're all different, have different experiences etc. To some extent it depends where you live, too - for example, in NSW, the amount of litter lying around the roads is staggering, the way the transport "system" (government run) fails is legendary and the post office queues are the same as in the UK. To compare your own examples.

Might be different in SA or QLD - but, reading other posts I somehow doubt it.
Where about in NSW is the litter staggering? Can't say I've noticed any part of it as being as bad as the UK *in parts*.

I think the real problem is that people compare political problems with day to day problems etc. Strategic with tactical. Melbourne's transport is 'crap' supposedly but day-to-day it has not let me down in 15 months. Yet I know other lines are breaking left right and centre - apparently. Yet other people (Europeans) write in to the free Melbourne rag and say, you think that's bad etc its not.

Public service sucks too much money etc etc you need a license to fart, can't get the staff yadda yadda yet old Swervo and I get around quite happily in what must be a beuracrats' wet dream and find our tradies (bloke next door son) checking every 90 degree angle like his life depends on it.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

A long, proud history.

As an Australian I often wonder just how different my country and her people would be if we'd been around a lot longer than 200 odd years. I wonder what it would feel like to have that sense of history behind you (same as I wonder how the Aboriginies must feel to have at least 40,000 years of history).

Last edited by Womat; Feb 19th 2007 at 5:41 am. Reason: Added to.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Womat
A long, proud history.

As an Australian I often wonder just how different my country and her people would be if we'd been around a lot longer than 200 odd years. I wonder what it would feel like to have that sense of history behind you (same as I wonder how the Aboriginies must feel to have at least 40,000 years of history).
Aus has a long proud history too, well a few hundred years.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh i forgot to add that OZ doesn't have Prawn Cocktail flavoured crisps
Why o Why????
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Where about in NSW is the litter staggering? Can't say I've noticed any part of it as being as bad as the UK *in parts*.<<

I used to think the UK was bad - but just drive for example from Goulburn to Campbelltown on the Hume Highway. It's like a council tip each side. Then there are the lay-byes....
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:24 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>Where about in NSW is the litter staggering? Can't say I've noticed any part of it as being as bad as the UK *in parts*.<<

I used to think the UK was bad - but just drive for example from Goulburn to Campbelltown on the Hume Highway. It's like a council tip each side. Then there are the lay-byes....
Actually I did a bit of that drive with the O/H Christmas last year we were amazed at just how much litter there was at the side of the road. The wife just thought a lot of poms must have moved into the area. There was far more litter than I've become used to seeing up here. Is there an open tip it's blowing from?.....other than Campbelltown
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Oh i forgot to add that OZ doesn't have Prawn Cocktail flavoured crisps
Why o Why????
Wow I've completely forgotten about those. I loved them back in the UK too but when I went back recently I only ate Walkers Salt and Vinegar as I didn't think to buy prawn cocktail. It's funny what a few years away does to you.

Over here I really like the Kettle brand especially the sour cream and chive ones. Yum!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 2:16 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by themerlin
Or just a pub within walking distance. Not an theme pub, just a pub ......
I know that feeling, our RSL is probably 40 minutes walk and the next pub after that (errrr, actually the only pub for some considerable distance...) is another 30 minutes. But having a young daughter means that I tend to be more of a home-boy anyway.

Back in the UK I did have pubs within walking distance but most of them you wouldn't want to visit ... you might walk there but you'd be going home in a ******* ambulance ... they are the sort of places where the bouncers give you weapons as you go in for your own protection

Chatham, Kent ... So good they named it once. (I make that 4 times I've used that joke on these here boards, I should retire it now). There isn't a day that goes by when not happy to be well off out of that place ...

I shall make do here with some Hobgoblin from my local-ish 1st Choice Liquor Superstore (shameless plug, they do a fine selection).

Cheers,
Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.