Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd brought along?

What do you wish you'd brought along?

Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you wish you'd brought along?

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Might sound daft but wall paper.The one Im looking is $149 dollars a roll.Thankfully I only need three.Its 30 pound a roll in uk.
We also gave away a garden trough and my husband still misses it.If there is room bring it.You can give it away at the last minute if it doesnt fit.
However British wallpaper doesn't fit Australian walls...
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Kids Clothes I find them more expensive compared to Tesco/Primark/Sainsbury's.

In Tesco you can get 5 body suits for £7, in Target one vest is can be $10 Same with sleepsuits and t-shirts/shorts/trousers and things.

I have a 1yr old and I'm expecting another baby and my mum is stocking up in England with baby and toddler clothes for me to bring when she comes over.

Apart from that multi plug adaptors, wish we would have brought more.

Winter clothes, seriously underestimated how cold it can get in a house with no central heating, we've had to buy a gas fire.

Bring your analogue TV we've brought ours and it works fine with Foxtel or a digital set top box so you'll still be able to use after the digital switch over.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
However British wallpaper doesn't fit Australian walls...
True,I forgot that.Nearly as stupid bringing uk curtains to fit Australian windows.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:06 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
True,I forgot that.Nearly as stupid bringing uk curtains to fit Australian windows.
We're planning to bring the curtains!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
Thank god for the man that invented venetian blinds, it would have been curtains for all of us
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:47 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Kids Clothes I find them more expensive compared to Tesco/Primark/Sainsbury's.

In Tesco you can get 5 body suits for £7, in Target one vest is can be $10 Same with sleepsuits and t-shirts/shorts/trousers and things.

I have a 1yr old and I'm expecting another baby and my mum is stocking up in England with baby and toddler clothes for me to bring when she comes over.

Apart from that multi plug adaptors, wish we would have brought more.

Winter clothes, seriously underestimated how cold it can get in a house with no central heating, we've had to buy a gas fire.

Bring your analogue TV we've brought ours and it works fine with Foxtel or a digital set top box so you'll still be able to use after the digital switch over.
Kids clothes: That's what my SILs said. Sports kit as well apparently.

The one SIL couldn't stop cooing about "the pretty little things here in the UK".

In some ways the SILs helped give us a reality check in terms of what we'll be giving up. My OH and I both have good jobs, the kids are in good schools, the house is nearly paid off and is in an excellent location so there are times where we think: " what are we doing?". Ah well, we only live once, so we might as well throw in a few additional challenges.

The TV: I've also been thinking that in the worst case scenario at least we know that all our video related equipment will work with it. Will buy a new upper mid range TV when we get there. Been putting that off for years.

Taking loads of winter clothes ...We're headed to Canberra .

Multi-plug adapters: Gonna bring them all

A fridge is a difficult thing to plan ahead with because we really don't know if a big one (which is what we ideally want) would fit into our future kitchen.

A trampoline is something that I've been promising the kids. The prices for them seem to not be too bad over this side, not sure what they're like there?

Thanks everyone for your valuable opinions
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Sports kit as well apparently.
Australia leaves the UK for dead when it comes to sports kit. When in the UK I used to get my sports gear sent out from Aus.

The TV: I've also been thinking that in the worst case scenario at least we know that all our video related equipment will work with it. Will buy a new upper mid range TV when we get there. Been putting that off for years.
Yeah, best to ditch the TV unless it's a top end plasma...

A fridge is a difficult thing to plan ahead with because we really don't know if a big one (which is what we ideally want) would fit into our future kitchen.
Ditch the fridge. Fridges in Australia on average are bigger than the UK average and homes are designed to house a big fridge.

A trampoline is something that I've been promising the kids. The prices for them seem to not be too bad over this side, not sure what they're like there?
Loads of homes have trampolines for kids in Australia. Relatively cheap as well.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Actually we did.three year later they are still in the cupboard.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:25 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Kids clothes: That's what my SILs said. Sports kit as well apparently.
Champion, Lonsdale and Everlast were cheapo stuff when we left the UK... mega expensive here by comparison. Considered top end of the market out here.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:27 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Australia leaves the UK for dead when it comes to sports kit. When in the UK I used to get my sports gear sent out from Aus.
Some UK sports kit is better than Australian sports kit.

Yeah, best to ditch the TV unless it's a top end plasma...
All TVs can be pressed into service, no need to ditch any of them.

Ditch the fridge. Fridges in Australia on average are bigger than the UK average and homes are designed to house a big fridge.
Bring the fridge, British fridges are preferable in most ways to Australian ones.

Loads of homes have trampolines for kids in Australia. Relatively cheap as well.
Buy a trampoline before you come. There are relatively cheap trampolines to be purchased in the UK.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Champion, Lonsdale and Everlast were cheapo stuff when we left the UK... mega expensive here by comparison. Considered top end of the market out here.
Have to agree with this however I haven't seen Champion in the UK. I have to admit though the Lonsdale and Everlast in Australia is not the same as in the UK. Must have a different manufacturer for Aust.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
Some UK sports kit is better than Australian sports kit.

All TVs can be pressed into service, no need to ditch any of them.

Bring the fridge, British fridges are preferable in most ways to Australian ones.

Buy a trampoline before you come. There are relatively cheap trampolines to be purchased in the UK.
And you talk about me being predictable...
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

And you talk about me being predictable...
Did it make a whistling noise as it flew overhead?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:46 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Did it make a whistling noise as it flew overhead?
I think it was more of a whoooosh...