Reload this Page >

Anyone Gone it alone?

Anyone Gone it alone?

Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

ParkerJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone Gone it alone?

Hey Guys,

Im 21 and Live in the UK I was receantly made unemployed and im really not getting anywhere on the job front and to be quiet frank fed up of it. My Mate who lives in Sydney has offered to put me up for a few month if I get a job and Immergrate etc.

Im seriously considering taking him up on the offer. I have had a brief look around and I score 60 Points on the job skills needed list but I want to beef up my qualifications before I apply to come over to OZ. Would anyone be kind enough to give me some advice on coming out there alone? What experiences they had any advice on what type of money I should have saved up before coming out?

Also if anyone that has moved out to Sydney and works in IT I would love to get an idea of what the pay scales are over there as I cant seem to find any

Thank you in advance

Jonathan
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:43 pm
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone Gone it alone?

There is a thread somewhere else on here for single people who've moved down. I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.
Are you aware of the working holiday visa scheme, when you can work for up to 2 years in Oz if you're under 31? That might be a better bet for you than paying for qualifications just to ensure you'd have enough points to emigrate.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

I came out here 4 years ago for a working holiday, now i'm engaged and settling down here, it's all about what you make of it. Go for it!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:37 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ParkerJ
Hey Guys,

Im 21 and Live in the UK I was receantly made unemployed and im really not getting anywhere on the job front and to be quiet frank fed up of it. My Mate who lives in Sydney has offered to put me up for a few month if I get a job and Immergrate etc.

Im seriously considering taking him up on the offer. I have had a brief look around and I score 60 Points on the job skills needed list but I want to beef up my qualifications before I apply to come over to OZ. Would anyone be kind enough to give me some advice on coming out there alone? What experiences they had any advice on what type of money I should have saved up before coming out?

Also if anyone that has moved out to Sydney and works in IT I would love to get an idea of what the pay scales are over there as I cant seem to find any

Thank you in advance

Jonathan

Just caught the buzzword out of it - the IT professions score 60 points indeed, but you need to show a 4 years of full-time work experience on top of an IT-major degree as a minimum, going upward 8 years if you have no formal qualifications. Given your age, I'd say this seems an unlikely combination. Perhaps some other route would be available - engage a registered migration agent for a initial assessment, it is done for a small fee or sometimes free of charge. Good luck.

NJ
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

ParkerJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the Feedback so far guys,

At the moment I have the experience but not enough Qualifications. 2 Years in the NHS as a Apprentice Techi, 1 Year in the Gaming Industry Providing Tech support and another Year working on a IS Service desk for a Housing charity. Ill just skim the 4 years give or take a few days or so.

Im wanting to retrain in programming or webdesign or maybe get back into networking - In all Honesty I just want a bit of freedom and a job lol Maybe I would be best looking at the 2 year working Visa?

Anyways off the the pub for a nice lunch thanks for the advice and enjoy the sun - Its raining here

JP