Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd brought along?

What do you wish you'd brought along?

Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:18 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you wish you'd brought along?

Over the next two weeks I have four shipping quote surveys lined up. While my Oz resident sister in laws were here recently they saw us preparing to give away things like plant pots and they urged us to put them in our container and take them along because good plant pots in Oz are hard to find. This has started me thinking... What other things are there which we should include in our container? What do you wish that you'd included?

Thanks.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What do you wish you'd brought along?

• Parents, family & friends
  • Some culture
  • Some history
  • Some worthwhile architecture
  • Green rolling hills
  • Country pubs
  • Decent TV

Heheh as you can tell I'm a touch homesick at the moment.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Might sound daft but wall paper.The one Im looking is $149 dollars a roll.Thankfully I only need three.Its 30 pound a roll in uk.
We also gave away a garden trough and my husband still misses it.If there is room bring it.You can give it away at the last minute if it doesnt fit.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:45 am
Just Joined

wannabwarma is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
Over the next two weeks I have four shipping quote surveys lined up. While my Oz resident sister in laws were here recently they saw us preparing to give away things like plant pots and they urged us to put them in our container and take them along because good plant pots in Oz are hard to find. This has started me thinking... What other things are there which we should include in our container? What do you wish that you'd included?

Thanks.
I really wish we'd bought all of our bedding (quilt cover sets etc)...Although Australian beds are larger, it's really expensive to replace all the lovely stuff we had back in the Uk.....

Good Luck with the move, packing etc.....It's stressful deciding what to bring/what to leave......We didn't have a container, just came over with a dozen 'tea chests'.....so ended up leaving A LOT of stuff in UK....good excuse to go shopping over here tho
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough

• all my tools
  • my motorbike gear
  • my motorbike

Bloody pain having to buy them all again
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Don't chuck out your old paperbacks/books you can sell/exchange them over here.

If you have any over the counter medicines you rely on, check if they sell them in Oz and if not, pack a box in the container full of them! It may take a while to find a substitute medicine if your 'normal' one isn't available and being ill in a new country is difficult enough without trawling around various pharmacies looking for the right thing.

For example, for kids, they don't sell Calpol tablets over here, or even anything similar. We also brought some of our preferred travel sickness pills, antiseptic cream etc. We had no problems importing them - we did make sure we declared them though.

Women should bring a few months supply of make up/ toiletries /sanitary stuff for the same reasons. You have so much to do that trawling the shops trying new brands is something which you can delay for a while.

Lots of UK trailing sockets. When you get here, just change the plug to an aussie one and you have a multi-adaptor!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trainee_pilot
  • all my tools
  • my motorbike gear
  • my motorbike

Bloody pain having to buy them all again
Mine are going to be the first things to go into that container

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Might sound daft but wall paper.The one Im looking is $149 dollars a roll.Thankfully I only need three.Its 30 pound a roll in uk.
We also gave away a garden trough and my husband still misses it.If there is room bring it.You can give it away at the last minute if it doesnt fit.
That makes perfect sense, thanks

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Don't chuck out your old paperbacks/books you can sell/exchange them over here.

If you have any over the counter medicines you rely on, check if they sell them in Oz and if not, pack a box in the container full of them! It may take a while to find a substitute medicine if your 'normal' one isn't available and being ill in a new country is difficult enough without trawling around various pharmacies looking for the right thing.

For example, for kids, they don't sell Calpol tablets over here, or even anything similar. We also brought some of our preferred travel sickness pills, antiseptic cream etc. We had no problems importing them - we did make sure we declared them though.

Women should bring a few months supply of make up/ toiletries /sanitary stuff for the same reasons. You have so much to do that trawling the shops trying new brands is something which you can delay for a while.

Lots of UK trailing sockets. When you get here, just change the plug to an aussie one and you have a multi-adaptor!
Over the years my wife has bought loads of BOGOF toiletries. So many in fact that the laundry bin is now used to hold them and it's full. We'll pack them too. The UK trailing sockets sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks

--------

We're planning to bring our current (but few years old) TV, I know that the analogue signal will be switched off in the next year or so but thought it would be good for now and can be used as a second TV or even for the kids to play their playstation on etc, later on. Did anyone find that new TVs in Australia are any more expensive than the UK?

Last edited by paulry; Jul 31st 2009 at 7:12 am.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Three things spring to mind:

All my beloved books - they're horrendously expensive here and even here in Sydney there's not a great choice
Clothes Hangers - has anyone ever found a decent trousers/skirts hanger that doesn't limply release your clothes as soon as you hang them up?
Warm winter clothes - ended up spending a fortune this winter buying up poor replacements for the lovely cardis/jumpers/coats I left at home.

Pretty happy to be here all the same!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:37 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Three things spring to mind:

All my beloved books - they're horrendously expensive here and even here in Sydney there's not a great choice
Clothes Hangers - has anyone ever found a decent trousers/skirts hanger that doesn't limply release your clothes as soon as you hang them up?
Warm winter clothes - ended up spending a fortune this winter buying up poor replacements for the lovely cardis/jumpers/coats I left at home.

Pretty happy to be here all the same!
I would agree with all of these!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Yes

Wish we'd bought our concrete mixer over. Had to buy one and could have fitted it in as well. Could have fitted in best mate as well but the selfish cow wouldn't leave her family.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by busterboy
I would agree with all of these!

Agree as well. Just to clarfiy, Australian beds are pretty mcu the same size as UK beds - they are just called different things but the dimensions are virtually the same. But if you compare aqueen with a queen they wiull be different. Then work out a queen in Aus is a king in UK and you'll be fine...
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yes

Wish we'd bought our concrete mixer over. Had to buy one and could have fitted it in as well. Could have fitted in best mate as well but the selfish cow wouldn't leave her family.
I must remember to pack it.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I must remember to pack it.
You can laugh, but it's the strangest things you think you don't need and then have to get
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:36 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Wish we'd bought our concrete mixer over.

That has GOT to be the strangest thing I have ever heard people wish they had brought.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:38 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
My almost brand new Hotpoint double fridge.... it cost a b'stard fortune to get a similar one here in Oz.... and central heating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.