Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Car aarghhh! The $40,000 Question

What Car aarghhh! The $40,000 Question

Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie Dreams will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What Car aarghhh! The $40,000 Question

Looks like we will be heading to look at the nissan dealers this weekend again ! and Subaru,,,,,,,,
Think the Toyota guy has me listed as a tyre kicker!

Thanks for the info, anyone know about the re-rego issues?

Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:57 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Never really liked 4x4s in the UK. Australia is a different country. 20 years ago the interstate roads were little more than dirt tracks.........

A 4x4 offers more possibilities for seeing the country.

Bought 2nd hand Mitsibushi Pajero. Absolutely brilliant. Originally wanted Toyota Prado, but you tend to pay a premium for Toyotas. $40,000 will get you a very nice 2nd hand Prado. The same money will get you an even better and newer 2nd hand Pajero. The Pajero was voted Australia's best 4x4; and has won the Dakar rally for the past 7 consecutive years.
I agree. The Pajero is better on the bitumen than the Prado and comes with all the fancy traction control stuff on the bog standard model upwards (they call it MATT- Mitsubishi All Terrain Technology). You don't get this on the Prado 'till you hit the VX specification ($$$$).

If money were no object I'd get the VX Prado (the Grande has air suspension which can sometimes go "pop" - you won't want this to happen as you cross the Simpson Desert). First thing I'd do is upgrade the suspension and put some decent tyres on it to fix the poor on road handling.

As you're spending $40 go for a 2004 or 2005 Pajero Diesel, you might get a GLS for that, otherwise get the slightly lower spec GLX (but make sure it has the twin airbag option if it is a 2004).
Old Jun 15th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Aussie Dreams
Hi about 9 weeks from the big leap over to QLD. We are really chompin at the bit waiting around now.

The latest waste of time we have stumbled across is looking at cars in the UK that we would like to own in QLD. I know there will be differences in specs and have looked them up on the AU manufacturers websites, but what to buy?

We have a budget of about $40,000

We have a short list

Toyota RAV4 (nearly new)
Nissan X-Trail (nearly new)
Mitsubishi Outlander (from dec 06)
Toyota Landcruiser Prada (about 3-4 years old)
Hyundia Santa Fe (nearly new)

We dont like the twin cab 4x4 as the rear passenger area is to small.

We are looking for a comfortable car with room for surfboards (on roof)
dog in boot (Rotty) 5 seat.

Do we really need a big 4x4? or would a subaru legacy/ ford estate etc suffice on the roads around maroochyshire we are looking forward to some exploration (i think i've answered my own question there!)

Also we are staying in Sydney 2-3 weeks (to walk the dog in quarantine) before going to QLD. We have to drive to QLD as the wife won't put the dog on another plane. Are there better deals to be had in NSW due to the population?
I could not believe the cars in Adelaide for sale, loads and a good price compared to QLD.

Any advice gratefully received as we rather waste our weekends overhere and buy within a few days overthere.

Oh and how much does it cost to re-rego your car in QLD if we do the NSW route?

Hi, We have been here 14 weeks now and the look for cars, was like a mine field, especially when hubby wonted that holden mirrano beast.
Any way if this is any help. In the uk hubby had the mitsubishi Hilux 2yrs ago. (nothing but problems). Then we bought the nissan navara aventura. Fantastic car in side and out, but was embarrassing when in feb last yr, a farmer had to tow us out of a field in his old landrover as we were stuck. ( 4x4 not very good ). this time we went, after a lot of consideration the Kia Sorennto ltd ed 3.8 , Fantastic. We took it up the flinders on 4x4 tracks, went up every hill (or mountain) we pointed it at. Loads of room in side good roof bars. good boot space. also great round town. Very quite engine. Not to bad on petrol. Its worth a test drive.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 2:34 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milly123
Hi, We have been here 14 weeks now and the look for cars, was like a mine field, ............ after a lot of consideration the Kia Sorennto ltd ed 3.8 , Fantastic. We took it up the flinders on 4x4 tracks, went up every hill (or mountain) we pointed it at. Loads of room in side good roof bars. good boot space. also great round town. Very quite engine. Not to bad on petrol. Its worth a test drive.
100% agree! Surprisingly great car that's not expensive to buy! There is a really great example in the BE Classifieds in Brisbane http://britishexpats.com/classifieds...duct=939&cat=5

Andrew