Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

are books expensive in Oz?

are books expensive in Oz?

Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:31 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default are books expensive in Oz?

I was told that books are expensive in Oz, I was prepared to throw out some old favourites that had got tatty thinking I could easily replace them in Oz, but have been told that books are expensive in Oz. Is this true?

Kim
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:50 pm
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: are books expensive in Oz?

Yes, especially if they are British books. Normally, we found, that if a book costs, say £9.99 here, multiply that by about 2.5 plus a bit more, and that is what you pay in Oz.

We are taking all our books. Can't afford to replace them.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:03 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, ridiculously so. I find it cheaper to order from Amazon in the UK and have them shipped here by air, rather than buy them in Aus.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:09 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

so is it worth the shipping costs to bring them all out?

I have loads and loads

Kim
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:11 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
so is it worth the shipping costs to bring them all out?

I have loads and loads

Kim
We brought all ours. I feel it was worth it. Depends on you though.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:16 pm

I love my books I have bookshelves in every room and a huge specially made bookcase.

I do not want to part with them but we are a bit over for a 20foot container!!
so OH suggested ditch some books and replace in Oz. I don't want to do this but haven't got a strong enough argument yet

Kim
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:34 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that books are expensive in Oz, I was prepared to throw out some old favourites that had got tatty thinking I could easily replace them in Oz, but have been told that books are expensive in Oz. Is this true?

Kim

Yes, books are expensive here. Most of the people I work with order them from Amazon in the US. I don't think there is a day that goes by when a book delivery doesn't show up at work...

S
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:36 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Morning, you.

The only reason I buy books from the UK is that we maintain UK bank accounts. That way, I can buy and not have to think about conversion rates or being charged for not paying with the right currency. Also comes in handy when buying presents for people still in Blighty.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

mick and beck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Asher,
If you could take your books with you you would prob be saving money in the long run, as like everyone else has said books in Oz do tend to be on the steep side.
Check out some aussie bookstores/prices
www.angusrobertson.com.au
www.dymocks.com.au
Hopefully you'll manage to squeeze them into the container
Good Luck, Rebecca
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:47 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Morning, you.

The only reason I buy books from the UK is that we maintain UK bank accounts. That way, I can buy and not have to think about conversion rates or being charged for not paying with the right currency. Also comes in handy when buying presents for people still in Blighty.
Yup, I do the same thing. Amazon is great for all manner of stuff, but often the US site is marginally cheaper than the uk one, so there are other savings to be made.

Which is the CD-wow site that you use? I can't find CD-wow.biz anymore - it just has a specific Australia button now. Do you have a link? I really need the second series of Mile High!

S
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:51 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yup, I do the same thing. Amazon is great for all manner of stuff, but often the US site is marginally cheaper than the uk one, so there are other savings to be made.

Which is the CD-wow site that you use? I can't find CD-wow.biz anymore - it just has a specific Australia button now. Do you have a link? I really need the second series of Mile High!

S
This is who I use:

http://www13.cd-wow.com/

Again, I pay in Sterling. They're a pretty good company (based in HK) - post to Aus for free.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:52 pm

does anyone use play.com

kim
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:55 pm
has lost The Game

does anyone use play.com

kim
They won't do deliveries outside of Europe

S
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:56 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Geordie George
This is who I use:

http://www13.cd-wow.com/

Again, I pay in Sterling. They're a pretty good company (based in HK) - post to Aus for free.
That's the chap. Rubbish uk tv here I come. Do you top your accounts up from here, or leave a huge bung of wedge there when you left?

S
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
They won't do deliveries outside of Europe

S
OH SOD IT they are nice and cheap was hoping I could buy from them.
apart from Amazon are there any others online?

what are the local bookshops like.
do supermarkets sell books?

I buy a lot very cheap from Asda

Kim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.