Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Car aarghhh! The $40,000 Question

What Car aarghhh! The $40,000 Question

Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie Dreams will become famous soon enough
Default What Car aarghhh! The $40,000 Question

Hi about 9 weeks from the big leap over to QLD. We are really chompin at the bit waiting around now.

The latest waste of time we have stumbled across is looking at cars in the UK that we would like to own in QLD. I know there will be differences in specs and have looked them up on the AU manufacturers websites, but what to buy?

We have a budget of about $40,000

We have a short list

Toyota RAV4 (nearly new)
Nissan X-Trail (nearly new)
Mitsubishi Outlander (from dec 06)
Toyota Landcruiser Prada (about 3-4 years old)
Hyundia Santa Fe (nearly new)

We dont like the twin cab 4x4 as the rear passenger area is to small.

We are looking for a comfortable car with room for surfboards (on roof)
dog in boot (Rotty) 5 seat.

Do we really need a big 4x4? or would a subaru legacy/ ford estate etc suffice on the roads around maroochyshire we are looking forward to some exploration (i think i've answered my own question there!)

Also we are staying in Sydney 2-3 weeks (to walk the dog in quarantine) before going to QLD. We have to drive to QLD as the wife won't put the dog on another plane. Are there better deals to be had in NSW due to the population?
I could not believe the cars in Adelaide for sale, loads and a good price compared to QLD.

Any advice gratefully received as we rather waste our weekends overhere and buy within a few days overthere.

Oh and how much does it cost to re-rego your car in QLD if we do the NSW route?

Last edited by Aussie Dreams; Jun 13th 2007 at 6:37 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:41 pm
done and dusted

maverik1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Car aarghhh! The $40,000 Question

Originally Posted by Aussie Dreams
Hi about 9 weeks from the big leap over to QLD. We are really chompin at the bit waiting around now.

The latest waste of time we have stumbled across is looking at cars in the UK that we would like to own in QLD. I know there will be differences in specs and have looked them up on the AU manufacturers websites, but what to buy?

We have a short list

Toyota RAV4 (nearly new)

Do we really need a big 4x4? or would a subaru legacy/ ford estate etc suffice on the roads around maroochyshire we are looking forward to some exploration (i think i've answered my own question there!)

Also we are staying in Sydney 2-3 weeks (to walk the dog in quarantine) before going to QLD. We have to drive to QLD as the wife won't put the dog on another plane. Are there better deals to be had in NSW due to the population?
I could not believe the cars in Adelaide for sale, loads and a good price compared to QLD.

Any advice gratefully received as we rather waste our weekends overhere and buy within a few days overthere.

you can get a brand fire new x-trail for $36000AU
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by maverik1979
you can get a brand fire new x-trail for $36000AU
New RAV4 would be about the same price.

I bought one last year and must admit I am quite impressed with the performance.
Samll 2L engine so good fuel economy but still sufficient to take me fishing in some rather obscure locations.
Good for beach driving as well.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie Dreams will become famous soon enough

Thanks people, although Mitsubishi are seen as good in the UK and we really liked the 380 we hired my cousin (SA) says that they are struggling in AU!

Any one own a Outlander V6 or the Landcruiser?

You summed up the beach driving bit too looking forward to that.

Do you own the auto or manual box, and whats the rpm at cruise, say 110k's, theres lots of km's to cover!

Last edited by Aussie Dreams; Jun 13th 2007 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:45 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota Landcruider Prado. We use ours on the beach, heaps of room for the dog (doberman) and can always chuck the extra seats in for large person hauls (7 people). True off road capability, well the trails we hit, and excellent reliability.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We have a short list

Toyota RAV4 (nearly new)

Out of your list I would go for the Prado. It's a true 4x4. You could drive on the beach or in the bush and it has loads of room.
I have a Navara ST-X twin cab ute and it has loads of rear room, almost as much as any saloon car. The new Mitsubishi Triton has even more rear space (although it has a smaller tray).
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Thanks people, although Mitsubishi are seen as good in the UK and we really liked the 380 we hired my cousin (SA) says that they are struggling in AU!

Any one own a Outlander V6 or the Landcruiser?

You summed up the beach driving bit too looking forward to that.

Do you own the auto or manual box, and whats the rpm at cruise, say 110k's, theres lots of km's to cover!
The RAV4 I have is auto, can't tell what are the rpms, works very well on cruise, goes up and down the hills nicely.

It is not a real 4 wheel drive but a good enough pretender, rather an allround car good in the city and good outside.
I avaerage about 11-12 L/100k so not so bad on the wallet either.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Check out the Toyota Kluger- we've had ours for about 2yrs now and haven't been happier. Drives like a car, not a 4WD, yet handles sand and rough tracks very impressively. Very comfy, affordable and Toyota have great after sales service.

Good luck with your quest
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

We have a short list

Toyota RAV4 (nearly new)

Kia Sorrento, lovely can't be it for value for money
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

I have just bought a new Honda CR-v Extra and im well pleased with it. Cost me $32,000 by far much bigger boot than the Rav 4 ( as we have a dog too)and a better build quality too. Also excellent resale value.

Angela
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:04 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Another reason to avoid a double cab is safety, ute's are considered commercial vehicles and so are not subject to the same safety standards as cars (article). Something to keep in mind, especially as you have kids. With regards the cars suggested. I'm a bit of a bunny hugger so I say go for whichever has the best fuel efficiency, probably be the RAV4......

Martyn
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Nobody mention the Patrol, masive propper 4x4 and that bit cheaper than the Toyota.

Also nobody has answered the question about reregistering in a different state.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:37 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Never really liked 4x4s in the UK. Australia is a different country. 20 years ago the interstate roads were little more than dirt tracks.........

A 4x4 offers more possibilities for seeing the country.

Bought 2nd hand Mitsibushi Pajero. Absolutely brilliant. Originally wanted Toyota Prado, but you tend to pay a premium for Toyotas. $40,000 will get you a very nice 2nd hand Prado. The same money will get you an even better and newer 2nd hand Pajero. The Pajero was voted Australia's best 4x4; and has won the Dakar rally for the past 7 consecutive years.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

I've been looking for when I get to Melbourne, and am thinking of a Subaru Legacy Estate, or maybe a Subaru Outback (a jacked-up Legacy Estate).

The 3 litre is quick, solid, but poor on fuel economy.

Z
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:26 pm
done and dusted

maverik1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

forrester x anybody?, voted oz most safe car, 4wd and turbo engine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.