Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is it with Aussie and dogs??

What is it with Aussie and dogs??

Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default What is it with Aussie and dogs??

What is with these people....found a dog roaming the streets...all fit and well but he followed me...in the end took him to a rescue place...not intrested at all the guy told me to take him back to where i found him and let him go!!!!!..phoned the RSPCA...explained what happened...same thing we have no room...what you do with the dog is upto you!!!!!

do Aussie not give a F^%K about dog

anyway i now have a dog that i dont know what to do with...great
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:05 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it with Aussie and dogs??

They know you're a soft Pom who loves dogs

Take him home and love him.

Go on. You know you want to
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

You could try taking him to the local vet to see if he has a microchip, I presume he has no collar?
Unfortunately, the pounds do get full try calling the council they have to take them.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2438
What is with these people....found a dog roaming the streets...all fit and well but he followed me...in the end took him to a rescue place...not intrested at all the guy told me to take him back to where i found him and let him go!!!!!..phoned the RSPCA...explained what happened...same thing we have no room...what you do with the dog is upto you!!!!!

phone your local rangers office.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I often pick up dogs running in the street. They are dangerous - they can cause accidents, they can get themselves killed and others killed - imagine swerving to avoid a dog and hitting a child or other person instead. Doesn't bear thinking about.

I take them to my local vet. They charge $50 for the owner to collect them. Hopefully this charge will teach owners to take better care of their dogs in the future. :curse:

I am shocked to hear that your local rescue centres would say that to you. Very irresponsible.

Good luck with the dog - he's the innocent one poor little tyke.

Rudi
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Here in Queensland, stray dogs are the responsibility of the local Council. Our Animal Refuge only accepts dogs from their owners who have to pay a surrender charge.

Angela
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

this sort of happened to a friend of mine about 18 months ago she found a young husky late at night she took the dog home called RSPCA etc next day - told that as she had taken the dog home she was now responsable for it !

for 2 weeks she put up posters etc no one ever came to claim dog - so she now has a very spoilt husky who she loves -
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

hawkshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Do Aussies care about their dogs? Many in my neighbourhood (not the best but it's all I can afford) don't appear to.

In three cases I am most familiar with, the owners keep their dogs outside in all weathers (and it can get cold here in Ballarat). They never take their dogs for walks, in fact they never seem to interact with them at all, not even to give them a pat or friendly word. As a result, the dogs are bored, fretful, and neurotic. Are the RSPCA interested? No mate, she'll be right!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Aww poor thing! far too many dogs in OZ to start with. It's as if you have to have one to fit in with the 'life-style'.
I hope you find somewhere for the mutt, such a shame it's been abandoned.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Aww poor thing! far too many dogs in OZ to start with. It's as if you have to have one to fit in with the 'life-style'.
I hope you find somewhere for the mutt, such a shame it's been abandoned.
yeah it amazes me that people can go and buy a puppy from a pet shop while out buying their shopping
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:37 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
yeah it amazes me that people can go and buy a puppy from a pet shop while out buying their shopping
This is something that totally shocked me when we first got here but I'm slowly getting used to it - I don't like it at all though. As a dog lover, I strongly believe that a responsible owner should go to a proper breeder as opposed to buying a puppy off of the shelf - I don't know why but this way makes me feel like they're some sort of disposible toy. Doesn't stop me from stopping and looking though, even if I do always leave feeling a little sad.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:21 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

We got followed home by a Great Dane/Mastiff cross last year , we put him in our garden and phoned the ranger who came out and picked him up (Ranger later called me to say he`d been claimed by owner - there`d been a bad storm the night before and he`d got out).
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:28 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkshaw
Do Aussies care about their dogs? Many in my neighbourhood (not the best but it's all I can afford) don't appear to.

In three cases I am most familiar with, the owners keep their dogs outside in all weathers (and it can get cold here in Ballarat). They never take their dogs for walks, in fact they never seem to interact with them at all, not even to give them a pat or friendly word. As a result, the dogs are bored, fretful, and neurotic. Are the RSPCA interested? No mate, she'll be right!
Is it cruel to keep a dog outside? (seriously, I don't know the answer as I don't have any animals as pets).

It's definitely cruel to keep children outside....but dogs, cats, horses, sheep etc? These are all animals that have lived outdoors for 1,000's of years aren't they?

I would have thought that as long as the dog has adequate shelter, the owner isn't being cruel. But I could be wrong I guess.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

We were talking about this with some friends the other night. You cannot walk though an estate here in the hills without all these dogs barking, snarling and flinging themselves at gates and fences because they are just left outside alone all day. I believe, and this is just IMO, dogs are pets and more than that for most they are part of the family, they are different from livestock that you just punt into a field and let them get on with it. Dogs are generally very sociable creatures who love to interact with humans and other dogs and for every kind and loving gesture you bestow on a dog you will usually get this back tenfold in love, devotion and loyalty.

Our next door neighbours go out for a walk every singe morning.......and leave their dog at home???? WTF?????? Is that not weird or is that just me????? They are also really guilty of punting the mutt outside and letting it sit and bark its head off for no apparent reason....does my nut in!!!!!!!! Sometimes they are home when it's doing this and do they ever say a word or tell it to shut up.......eeehhhh NO!!!!!! Strange!!!!!!!

Sorry, just read back my first paragraph and I got carried away a bit.....but I love my dog, can you tell
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:09 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Cut it up and put it in a curry...mmmmmmm tastey and it would have gone to a 'good home'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.