Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is it with Aussie and dogs??

What is it with Aussie and dogs??

Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it with Aussie and dogs??

I have to say that in our part of WA the norm is definitely:

1. Big / nasty looking dog
2. Let it bark constantly and never tell it to be quiet
3. Leave it to run around outside all the time, especially when out at work for 8 hours a day
4. Never, ever take the poor thing for a walk

Pitbulls seem to be very popular in our neck of the woods.... having seen a bloke who had his face bitten off by two many moons ago I find it quite scary they are roaming around with no muzzles and very often just one of those electric collar things between them and the outside world.

I dont get this ute thing either, fair enough if it's one with sides but once I saw a dog chained on the back of a flat bed truck - poor thing was slipping about all over the place and definitely wasnt enjoying itself! Also a lot fall off and get badly injured and a lot of the time the owners dont even realise 'til they get home and the dog isnt there (happened to a friend of mine, she was gutted, her dog very badly hurt).

Our greyhound is pretty much an indoor dog, at night she's indoors (and quite happy to sleep quietly by our bedroom door!), most of the day if I'm here she's out and if I'm popping out for a couple of hours I might leave her out, although I dont like to in case she becomes a barking nuisance (how do you know if you're not there?!) and she gets at least one half hour walk a day.

As for our cat, we have built a run for him and he is now happily running about in the fresh air but unable to venture off... still havent found our English moggy...

Forgot to add... it's 72 hours here from a dog being found to it being put to sleep if unclaimed (unless it can be rehomed)
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Being a cat lover myself I was quite surprised at the attitude towards cats here (seen as a bit of a nuisance, terror to wildlife etc - some here may agree ). I couldn't bear to keep our cats indoors all day it seems almost cruel to deprive them of the outdoors (altho obviously we bring them in at night).
my cat has 2 bells on her collar a metal tag which bounces off her bells( you can hear her from 2 houses away ) and STILL she is terror to the wildlife population - her personal preferences is lizards and sometimes a little bird.

she was born outside and spent her first 7 months of her life outside - and she does love being outside so i could not keep her in all day - she comes in at night but no matter what i have added to her collar she still hunts
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
my cat has 2 bells on her collar a metal tag which bounces off her bells( you can hear her from 2 houses away ) and STILL she is terror to the wildlife population - her personal preferences is lizards and sometimes a little bird.

she was born outside and spent her first 7 months of her life outside - and she does love being outside so i could not keep her in all day - she comes in at night but no matter what i have added to her collar she still hunts
Exactly, it's in their nature.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but they used to put kids up chimneys back then too
Is that wrong Damn, back to the drawing board for first born.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Is that wrong Damn, back to the drawing board for first born.
i share your sentiments!

Last edited by rabsody; Oct 24th 2008 at 8:30 am.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Oooh you have a greyhound-Good on you ! Is it a rescue ? Now there's a dog that has a crap deal in life.....and of course, they have to be indoor dogs

Originally Posted by bridie
I have to say that in our part of WA the norm is definitely:

1. Big / nasty looking dog
2. Let it bark constantly and never tell it to be quiet
3. Leave it to run around outside all the time, especially when out at work for 8 hours a day
4. Never, ever take the poor thing for a walk

Pitbulls seem to be very popular in our neck of the woods.... having seen a bloke who had his face bitten off by two many moons ago I find it quite scary they are roaming around with no muzzles and very often just one of those electric collar things between them and the outside world.

I dont get this ute thing either, fair enough if it's one with sides but once I saw a dog chained on the back of a flat bed truck - poor thing was slipping about all over the place and definitely wasnt enjoying itself! Also a lot fall off and get badly injured and a lot of the time the owners dont even realise 'til they get home and the dog isnt there (happened to a friend of mine, she was gutted, her dog very badly hurt).

Our greyhound is pretty much an indoor dog, at night she's indoors (and quite happy to sleep quietly by our bedroom door!), most of the day if I'm here she's out and if I'm popping out for a couple of hours I might leave her out, although I dont like to in case she becomes a barking nuisance (how do you know if you're not there?!) and she gets at least one half hour walk a day.

As for our cat, we have built a run for him and he is now happily running about in the fresh air but unable to venture off... still havent found our English moggy...

Forgot to add... it's 72 hours here from a dog being found to it being put to sleep if unclaimed (unless it can be rehomed)
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Do I get a prize for most no of quotes in a reply? Here goes...

Originally Posted by Evelin
It is part of the Australian culture to own a dog
True to a point, especially semi-rural/rural - seems to me some people are just into dogs.

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Dogs are tougher than you think. With shelter and water they are quite happy outside, and usually safer than inside where they might chew through wires or be trapped in a house fire etc.
Think dogs are definitely seen as security outside here to deter intruders.

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Dogs historically were kept outside, were generally working dogs of one type or another. Just don't want their houses turned into kennels.
I'd keep a dog outside, too.

Originally Posted by Kim67
Another Aussie bashing generalisation - this time we mistreat our dogs. Pets, Kids, the elderly, they're all vulnerable and susceptible to abuse, but just because one person abuses them, don't blame the whole nation!!!!!!!!!
I think most people know most dog lovers are OK.

Originally Posted by emelems
Well said!

Have to say tho, was rather alarmed to see dogs chained to the back of a Ut and the driver going about 100km/hr down the freeway! When I mentioned it to a local, she said to me yes, it was about time that they chained them up as it was cruel to leave them in the back of the Ut without any restraint!
A law came in around 2001 which mandated this so that a dog could not jump out. My money is on they love it!

Being a cat lover myself I was quite surprised at the attitude towards cats here (seen as a bit of a nuisance, terror to wildlife etc - some here may agree ). I couldn't bear to keep our cats indoors all day it seems almost cruel to deprive them of the outdoors (altho obviously we bring them in at night).
Love cats myself. Cleverer in some ways, not as useful.

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Aww poor thing! far too many dogs in OZ to start with. It's as if you have to have one to fit in with the 'life-style'.
lol.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 11:03 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Do I get a prize for most no of quotes in a reply? Here goes...

True to a point, especially semi-rural/rural - seems to me some people are just into dogs.

Think dogs are definitely seen as security outside here to deter intruders.

I'd keep a dog outside, too.

I think most people know most dog lovers are OK.

A law came in around 2001 which mandated this so that a dog could not jump out. My money is on they love it!

Love cats myself. Cleverer in some ways, not as useful.

lol.
I am quite knackered just reading it all... *goes for a lie down*
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:23 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

Anyone know a good cheap vet in north perth .My 2 dogs r due there yearly injections but the vet we took them 2 when we got them was making us spent about £450 each dog just for ishe wanted to inject them from worms we always gave them tabs 4 that . so don`t know what they need in ireland it was against parvo etc HELP
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by irishfamily
Anyone know a good cheap vet in north perth .My 2 dogs r due there yearly injections but the vet we took them 2 when we got them was making us spent about £450 each dog just for ishe wanted to inject them from worms we always gave them tabs 4 that . so don`t know what they need in ireland it was against parvo etc HELP
I use Kinross vets. They also have a branch in Innaloo.
I don't think they are expensive, just reasonable.
I don't have a dog, but 2 cats. When i worm them i get a liquid from the vets that i use on back of their necks.
They have offered me tablets or a paste, but i knew about the liquid and they offered me that. Just ask them and they may have the alternative saving you money.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
Oooh you have a greyhound-Good on you ! Is it a rescue ? Now there's a dog that has a crap deal in life.....and of course, they have to be indoor dogs
Yes, she's a retired one.... lovely dog, so loving and great with DD

And yes, she has to be indoors at night, esp in winter as they have very short coats and no protection against the cold.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

My dogs have only had puppy injections that were not to bad,Daisy is going to Connolly vets in Joondalup this afternoon for her 12 week one.Roxy goes to Padbury vets which I prefer and once Daisy has had her last injection we will go there.

I have just read a letter from Connolly vets and they say that the injection that prevents heartworm for 12 months in most cases is cheaper than monthly tablets.I don't know if it includes parvo aswell because the worming and flea tablets we use cost about $70 every 6 months.I am a bit confused now!Sue.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:32 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

We use worming tabs from the pet store and buy frontline 4 fleas .What injections do dogs need every year i can`t remember what they gave r dogs.I was going to try that vets in edgewater someone told me they were very good
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:09 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markallwood
Is it cruel to keep a dog outside? (seriously, I don't know the answer as I don't have any animals as pets).

It's definitely cruel to keep children outside....but dogs, cats, horses, sheep etc? These are all animals that have lived outdoors for 1,000's of years aren't they?

I would have thought that as long as the dog has adequate shelter, the owner isn't being cruel. But I could be wrong I guess.

Exactly.

In Europe it is quite common to keep animals in the house (where people often have no outside space anyway).

In Australia and the US we find it very strange - and quite unhygienic - to have an animal indoors. And in Canberra people walk their dogs all the time. We have walking trails all through the city, and there are always dogs running around everywhere.

I can't speak for the whole country, but I have not known people here to treat their animals badly. The only problem I have ever seen with pet dogs is with the people over the back of our house. Their dogs are big enough to jump the fence and get into neighbouring gardens.

I do think that in Britain dogs are more 'contained' - kept out of sight more.
But I don't think it's right to generalise about pet owners in any country.

About the pet shop thing. I've not noticed pet shops in Britain, but where I was in Spain we had a pet shop just down the road - exactly the same as in Australia. It's not such an unusual concept; I've seen pet shops all over the world.

I've never owned a dog and have no desire to, but I do think it is very much part of the 'Australian lifestyle' - along with a four wheel drive, computer in every room, and all the other nonsense!!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

We use worming tabs from the pet store and buy frontline 4 fleas .What injections do dogs need every year i can`t remember what they gave r dogs.I was going to try that vets in edgewater someone told me they were very good
Just come back from the vets $188.00 poorer!12 week injection and six month wormer/flea tablets,will buy them from the pet shop next time!

They just need the parvo injection every year.The wormer should include heartworm.Sue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.