Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Old Mar 7th 2005, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Apologies, JTL, if I'd known what response you were going to get I wouldn't have asked you about how you were finding the IT market.
Yeah, I know See the trouble you started !!

In Summary:
Be patient, and if you can, be prepared for the odd disappointment. But don't give up and uproot your family and take a menial job if you get a few setbacks. Oh and don't mention any of those setbacks on here, you'll only get accused of whinging

Jeez, glad thats over

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 7th 2005, 12:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yeah, I know See the trouble you started !!

In Summary:
Be patient, and if you can, be prepared for the odd disappointment. But don't give up and uproot your family and take a menial job if you get a few setbacks. Oh and don't mention any of those setbacks on here, you'll only get accused of whinging

Jeez, glad thats over

Cheers,
JTL
trouble is some people can't see the difference between "whinging" and "being realistic and honest"
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
trouble is some people can't see the difference between "whinging" and "being realistic and honest"
Just like some people can't see the difference between "rose tinted specs" and being realistic and honest?
Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:06 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Grayling
I will stick to my original point.

From a personal perspective I don't see that as much of an incentive to move halfway across the world.

I will maintain that, despite what a lot of people say, most migrants do not expect to be worse off.

For every post that states people 'will do anything to survive' or 'not worried about earnings....it's the lifestyle'. There will be several that talk about big houses, 4x4 cars,utes, boats, pools etc....etc...

Well hello!... 'lifestyle' that includes the above is only possible if you have money.

You can't eat sunshine or trade with it at the shops

G
Whilst agreeing to what you say, the 'lifestyle' that you talk about is not just boats and utes. Some people want to enjoy that what is free or cheaper, and many allude to the simpler things they can do for free; many for example then talk about ''wide open spaces'', (I see these in London too of course!)

I find eating out cheaper, and as my principle health activity is running I get to this in beautiful surroundings.

Badge

Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:19 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Grayling
You really are patronising aren't you?

G
Is he??!! I don't think so. It's just another view. I think Jack the Lad is a tad, and I mean a tad defensive, and like Pollyanna says, I have a lot of time for his posts. I especially love it when he talks about the Melbourne weather.

Forget the old honest and whiniing vs rose tinted compartmentalisation - it's getting boring!! You can't say anything without someone saying you are one of them..(!)

My story : It took me 6 weeks to find the ''right'' job - right relating to my immediate prior experience. I can't say it was the perfect job either, and it still isn't. To be honest, I have never waited for perfect jobs as we all have to make a crust somehow : soon I will be a father and earning an income is the most important.

I was very close to taking on several other jobs that are techically 'wrong' for my current line of work but as I am a migrant I decided that I would have to take whatever would earn money and then move on afterwards. This is guaranteed brownie points.

For example, I was going to start night security work, which would alllow me a few hours a day to chase up job applications.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Mar 8th 2005 at 6:29 am.