Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Wikiposts

Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

[QUOTE=MrsMangle]
Originally Posted by Grayling
Well I, personally, would not travel halfway round the world to struggle on that sort of wage. :scared:

Maybe you forget, some of us didn't earn this much money in the UK either!
Well I do.

And I would not travel halfway round the world to be worse off. Most people would not either. Not knowingly.

I was also giving a personal perspective. What others do is their choice.

G
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I maintain, that the average wage in Melbourne, for two fulltime workers, in any sphere, will come in at around 80,000 through to 150,000
...and that's very different from your previous comment where you "maintained" that household income for a couple should be in the region of $130k.

BTW, the word 'skilled' for many people going through this migration process simply means that you have an 'occupation'. A 'skilled' visa covers all types of occupations from accupuncturist to zoologist, and is not solely for tradesmen. Seems now that your original post was directed at the latter?
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Right, so what I understand, you're mainly quoting what business owners in those area's earn.

A lot of migrants aren't business owners, or it takes a while before they can, because they have to get contacts, network etc etc.

I've bumped up an old thread for you....

100 pct correct Simone, thats exactly what I'm talking about, Basically self employed tradesmen, that work from home, that have ABN nos. It takes a while to get established like you say because of contacts network etc. It can take forever if one has attitude that rubs the other surroundng tradesmen the wrong way.

As for the IT guys, that have posted. Yes I do concede fully that skilled white collar workers will earn a lot more In England than here.

This was also the case 20 plus years ago, When I arrived fresh from 7 years in the City of london's "square Mile" Fenchurch St actually. I was employed as one of 10 Telex operator's in those days, In Englands largest privately owned Shipbroking company, Galbraith Wrightson. I also used to finalise the deals for the brokers, Amending Charter party pro formas etc, and post fixture problems. Was paid exceptionaly well. It meant stuff all over here though. Except having a weird talent for a bloke, of being able to type at 70 wpm. There are probably only 1 in 200,000 Aussies that know what a shipbroker does.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:49 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

There are probably only 1 in 200,000 Aussies that know what a shipbroker does.
Sending ships broke bloke?

SeaWise Guys
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
...and that's very different from your previous comment where you "maintained" that household income for a couple should be in the region of $130k.

BTW, the word 'skilled' for many people going through this migration process simply means that you have an 'occupation'. A 'skilled' visa covers all types of occupations from accupuncturist to zoologist, and is not solely for tradesmen. Seems now that your original post was directed at the latter?

I'm talking about people that I know of personaly, The average of between 80,000 through to 150,000 is around 130,000 is it not ?
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Sending ships broke bloke?

SeaWise Guys

Lol, do you know these guys ?

If you do, I will PM, you with same names that I'm sure will be still in the game to say hi to on my behalf, as a blast from the past
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:58 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Lol, do you know these guys ?

If you do, I will PM, you with same names that I'm sure will be still in the game to say hi to on my behalf, as a blast from the past
Nup, but they do look a bit over fed. Ask 'em their average income?
Old Mar 1st 2005, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I'm talking about people that I know of personaly, The average of between 80,000 through to 150,000 is around 130,000 is it not ?
No. 130 is a random number somewhere betwen 80 and 150! Saying you can earn beween 80-150k is not the same as saying the average is 130k.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just to Illistrate further, what Trades people can expect to earn here, Is the following News article taken from the following URL

https://secure.liveinaustralia.com/h...asp#article_44

Trades earn top dollar
17 November, 2004

Tradespeople hoping to find work in Australia will be pleased at a recent report that says due to a severe skills shortage, trades such as electricians, welders, boilermakers, plumbers and other skilled tradespeople are being paid AUS$100,000 (approx. £40,350) and more as Australia’s skills shortage impacts on the economy. With companies keen to attract skilled workers, wages have rocketed to the welcome surprise of potential trades-qualified emigrants to Australia.

Tradespeople in some areas across Australia earn more than some traditionally high-earners such as doctors, dentists, architects and teachers. It is estimated that Australia needs 21,000 extra tradespeople to solve the national crisis, business groups have announced.

Moreover, a Housing Industry Association report found that the shortage of tradespeople has affected household budgets, The cost of trade contractors has risen 12.5 per cent in just 12 months.

And the crisis could have implications for interest rates. Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive Peter Hendy said the lack of qualified workers was the biggest hurdle for business for the first time in 14 years.

“It’s not showing in the official numbers like the Australian Bureau of Statistics yet but the Reserve Bank and Treasury are watching for the impact these increased wages will have on inflation and interest rates,� said Hendy. “But I can say that, anecdotally, we are hearing stories about higher wages because of the shortage of skills.�

Last month, metropolitan newspapers carried job vacancies advertising AUS$100,000-a-year packages for air-conditioning electricians and AUS$70,000 annual salaries for kitchen cabinet installers.

-Australian News

So any Plumbers etc, thinking about coming over, shouldn't have to think too hard about not earning enough money

My whole point is, Combine a Trade, with one of the Unskilled well paid jobs that I started the thread with, and the Low wages Myth gets totally trashed.

I will accept that one may have to completly change their concept of what they expect to do in this country, and take opportunities as they arise.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 3rd 2005 at 10:35 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

My whole point is, Combine a Trade, with one of the Unskilled well paid jobs that I started the thread with, and the Low wages Myth gets totally trashed.

I will accept that one may have to completly change their concept of what they expect to do in this country, and take opportunities as they arise.
So let me get this straight.

You admit the average male full time salary in Oz is about $50k.

You also admit white collar jobs tend to pay far less in Oz (close to the average wage in fact).

However, these facts are irrelevant because, er, you're only considering people on well above average wages.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sackofspuds

You also admit white collar jobs tend to pay far less in Oz (close to the average wage in fact).

However, these facts are irrelevant because, er, you're only considering people on well above average wages.
First of all, I'm aiming this thread at migrating workers, I would love to know the breakdown of skills accepted, because that would clear up a lot of what I assume would be the main people accepted. Bearing In mind I assume that the majority of most people accepted would be Tradesmen (maybe incorrectly, however that is my personal expeirence).

The second point being, Wages are no where near as low, as the 13.50 and 16.50 PH that was quoted, in the thread that started me off on this tack. Wages comparative to the cost of living are definitly not low, that could be a figure perculiar to perth, If it happens in this city, it probably happens almost exclusivly to new migrants, or people that dont know their way around..

I do accept that, in the non skilled workforce, that two people working full time could start to come in at 40,000 each. I'm talking about couples, thats where that figure of 80,000 Aud as the bottom average comes in. whereas it can go to 150,000 Aud and more as skills become more of a factor the other way.

I strongly feel, that the average varies on the skills one has, bearing in mind my wife, who works night shift exclusivly as a nurse, earns as much in 3 nights circa 50,000 on a full 7 day shift availablity, as i do as a night shift postal worker working 5 nights a week. My wife can vary her income enourmously by working extra, and there is plenty of work.

I'm sorry that white collar workers dont earn as much here, I've said before that was a problem for myself when I arrived, a right kick in the arse to be truthful, but thems the facts as I see it. Have the right skills and you get rewarded.

You tell me what you expect the typical migrating couple to be capable of workwise ?

because one can get lost in averages eh
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Or trying to help you out here, Assuming your home county Berkshire address, which makes me assume you could be white collar. Your wage would/could probably drop by 30 pct, however assuming your wife works (if you have one etc) and she is versatile, etc., could go up by 30 pct. It depends on the makeup of the migrant/household.

Bottom line is you have to suit aussie conditions not the other way around.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

I do accept that, in the non skilled workforce, that two people working full time could start to come in at 40,000 each
My stepfather's one of those tradesmen you keep mentioning - a qualified electrician. He earns $45k. He tells me he spent a lot of time networking at barbecues to get his job. It's a good one because he works indoors doing maintenance work (beats crawling around lofts in 40 degrees).

I work in IT, have done for 14 years, and expect to earn late £30s - early £40s. Wages in my job have gone down over the last few years. Even so, $50k is all I could expect in Adelaide and that's assuming I could even get an IT job, which is highly unlikely.

My wife teaches and within a couple of years, if full time, would earn close to £30k. She'd also be on $50k in Adelaide, but initial enquiries revealed no vacancies whereas here they are falling over each other to employ her.

My point, made by plenty of others, is that nobody seeking to emigrate to Oz should underestimate just how hard it is to find a job there, unless you work in an industry with big labour shortages (like nursing or mining).

So too, potential migrants should consider the employment prospects their kids will have.

The hard fact is that you can't change from from an office job to a skilled tradesperson overnight; it takes years. So, you're left with unskilled work and thanks for the listing of unskilled jobs.

Personally, if I had to choose between UK in an office job and Adelaide as a postman on a third of the money then I'd choose the UK.

I still consider moving there and that's because:

1. We have family support there and not here.
2. I wouldn't waste time looking for a $50k job but would start my own business there.
3. The schools there look very good.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My stepfather's one of those tradesmen you keep mentioning - a qualified electrician. He earns $45k. He tells me he spent a lot of time networking at barbecues to get his job. It's a good one because he works indoors doing maintenance work (beats crawling around lofts in 40 degrees).

My point, made by plenty of others, is that nobody seeking to emigrate to Oz should underestimate just how hard it is to find a job there, unless you work in an industry with big labour shortages (like nursing or mining).

So too, potential migrants should consider the employment prospects their kids will have.

The hard fact is that you can't change from from an office job to a skilled tradesperson overnight; it takes years. So, you're left with unskilled work and thanks for the listing of unskilled jobs.

Personally, if I had to choose between UK in an office job and Adelaide as a postman on a third of the money then I'd choose the UK.

I still consider moving there and that's because:

1. We have family support there and not here.
2. I wouldn't waste time looking for a $50k job but would start my own business there.
3. The schools there look very good.

Very good points Sackofspuds, The point I'm making is because all that you have listed, and all I've listed, It's pretty hard to come up with a easy migration between the two countries, one has to adapt to the local conditions. In fact I've strongly advised my duel passport holding white collar orientated daughter to ger her butt over to england, whilst she is still young enough at age 20 to take advantage of the local commerce and business to find a well paid job, in her chosen field of the fashion industry.

God knows where I would have been today, had I of stayed in the shipbroking area of employment I found myself in my teens and very early 20's, in the famous square mile.

I chose here, for reasons of lifestyle rather than money, having been fortunate enough to have had enough money, from a white collar background to have saved enough to come here for a holiday before I migrated here, and that was way back in the 70's, that life changing holiday.

My whole point is not aimed at the likes of yourself, but the people the continue to harp on about low paid wages, especially the ones that have returned to england having not assimilated into the local culture.

I do not see low wages in the people that surrond me.

BTW point well and truly taken about crawling around in hot buildings
Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:27 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

You have to remember that most people on this forum are going to Brisbane and Perth (that was the outcome of a few polls over the years).

The majority don't seem to be tradespeople, but I'm not sure about that one.(on this forum anyway)

Now, that article quoting 100.000 a year, those jobs may be there, but are not normal, especially not in Perth, and maybe only in the outback and mines.
Yes, trades people can do quite well, but it's not normal to do that well.
Also, you're generalising on tradespeople. there are too many to bunch up all together.

Now, another thing. Nurses seem to be wanted, and everyone keeps saying so. But I've seen quite a few threads/posts on here that say that the nurses aren't getting the jobs they were promised, and there isn't much work afterall.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.