Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Wikiposts

Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Old Mar 6th 2005, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Originally Posted by G'Day
Wanted to give this some serious karma but it won't let me Great post Badge and very true.
That post of Badges just about says it all. Thats exactly the kind of result one should be aiming for and should be achievable, once one settles here.

If would have to be easier to obtain that here, than England surely ?

Personally, I think my wife and I are classic examples, with my wife, being the higher wage earner, and myself, managing to maintain very close to the "average wage" once I found my Niche. I've found that Niche twice by the way, Once at the Gas and Fuel, and now at the post office, Two totally different organisations, and both totally different fields of work.

One of my Daughters is (my 2nd one) Is Planning to chase the big dollars and further her career in europe, and hopefully beyond. She says she will certainly come back here. So spot on Badge.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Default Re: Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Have to say I agree with you Mrs M, as a civil servant my wages now are not too bad (not brilliant either though) - however with the possibility of redundancy looming it`s head I`ve been looking around. What I`ve found is that for most clerical work the wages can be pretty poor. Personally I`m prepared to be adaptable if we ever get to Oz, because at least earning some money is better than no money at all. I`ve always worked and whether it`s been as a school cleaner or stuffing boneless chickens for M&S, the way I`ve looked at is I will do whatever it takes to provide for my family.
That's the spirit! Now come over here and don't settle for just the regular, you'll make it no problem!
Old Mar 6th 2005, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JTL,

A friend of mine who is a Oracle DA came over a few months ago and got a job within three weeks of landing in Melbourne.
I knew that was coming,everytime someone mentions a delay in getting job up pops the 'I got offered a job on the way off the plane' brigade. Well Mrs JTL got the first job she went for too, but she doesn't go on about it.

Queensland is not known for it's IT market so if you want to stay there then you'll probably have to consider a career change.
Go to seek.com, do a search on brisbane and IT jobs. 829 jobs currently, just in the Brisbane area.

You have to go where the jobs are if you want to work, the jobs are not going to come to you just 'cause you like the sunshine coast. Sorry, but that's reality.
Wow, really? Thanks for pointing out reality to me. Now can you explain to me what patronising means?

There are plenty of jobs here. I worked in Melbourne for 6 months over the last few years, I know what the job market is like there too. I know its bigger, so is Sydneys, and possibly even Canberra, but it doesn't mean we HAVE to go live there. As I said, Mrs JTL has already got a well paying job, so we are half way there, and we dont need two incomes, though it would be nice.

You could look at the other side of the coin. Because there is loads of sheep out there who think "Must go to Melbourne or Sydney for an IT job", then Brisbane Perth etc are screaming out for experienced IT people. Or do you think all the big organizations up here like Suncorp, Bank of Queensland, QLD government etc all use abacus's,abacii?

As for getting no answers on your CV, try getting a consultant to redo it for you.
I applied for one job via a consultant, she was really excited about it, said I was perfect for the job, I fitted all the criteria. She re-did my CV to exactly the way the company would like it. Then I heard nothing back for a week, so I rang her. They were still shortlisting. Waited another week, rang her, the company had found a candidate who was 'known to them'. Jobs for the boys.

Oh and she showed me the re-vamped CV, its just moving paragraphs about, its still all the same text.

Anyway, I was just relating our current situation, certainly not whinging, but don't really need to be patronised either,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 6th 2005, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JTL,

Having applied for a fair amount of jobs before getting my CV to the point where I get a response from people almost every time I can vouch for what I am saying.
Alot of the jobs require applicants to do responses to Selection Criteria, usually a couple of paragraphs for each criteria, and a few examples if the Selection Criteria begins with the word 'Demonstrated'. They stress the application will not be considered unless every selection criteria is answered. Alot of the jobs even have as an after-thought, 'you may include a copy of your work resume', but its certainly not the be all and end all for selection.

And the Selection Criteria are different for every job.

Did you never do them?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Alot of the jobs require applicants to do responses to Selection Criteria, usually a couple of paragraphs for each criteria, and a few examples if the Selection Criteria begins with the word 'Demonstrated'. They stress the application will not be considered unless every selection criteria is answered. Alot of the jobs even have as an after-thought, 'you may include a copy of your work resume', but its certainly not the be all and end all for selection.

And the Selection Criteria are different for every job.

Did you never do them?

Cheers,
JTL
In fact each and every resume I send out is tailored to meet the selection criteria of the respective job. What I was refering to before is the "moving of paragraphs" as you so elloquently put it - and also off course, the wording, which is very important to Australians in HR

Fact is, you were whinging and, if there are so many jobs in Brissie, then why can't you get one - or are they all nepotists who just won't give a new boy a chance? Good excuse! Don't be sore at others just because they got a job straight off the plane, I'm glad your wife did, I didn't, but my husband did, so what now? Does that make you feel any better?

Now I find it absolutely stupid for you to go on whinging about being unable to find a job, admitting there's more work elsewhere, but refusing to move to where the work is. I guess the fact that I have 3 children to help support gives me a different perspective on life, maybe somewhat more realistic?

Anyway, live where you like, but live with the consequences of it and don't whinge. This thread is for people who actually want a job.

Last edited by G'Day; Mar 6th 2005 at 10:07 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

In fact each and every resume I send out is tailored to meet the selection criteria of the respective job. What I was refering to before is the "moving of paragraphs" as you so elloquently put it - and also off course, the wording, which is very important to Australians in HR

Fact is, you were whinging and, if there are so many jobs in Brissie, then why can't you get one - or are they all nepotists who just won't give a new boy a chance? Good excuse! Don't be sore at others just because they got a job straight off the plane, I'm glad your wife did, I didn't, but my husband did, so what now? Does that make you feel any better?

Now I find it absolutely stupid for you to go on whinging about being unable to find a job, admitting there's more work elsewhere, but refusing to move to where the work is. I guess the fact that I have 3 children to help support gives me a different perspective on life, maybe somewhat more realistic?

Anyway, live where you like, but live with the consequences of it and don't whinge. This thread is for people who actually want a job.
You really are patronising aren't you?

G
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
You really are patronising aren't you?

G
Would you like to hear my personal opinion of you and your snide comments on this rather nice thread?
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Would you like to hear my personal opinion of you and your snide comments on this rather nice thread?
Yes

Go on patronise me as well.

G
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
Yes

Go on patronise me as well.

G
Naw, I've decided it will distract people from this thread and its original intension. I like ozzieeagle too much to do that to him. But if you post something obviously rediculous and whingy... don't say you weren't warned
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Mother G'Day for your advice. I apologize if my husband appeared to be whinging. I can reassure you he wasn't. He was simply explaining his experience, showing the other side of the coin.

As for refusing to move to where the work is, that's none of your damn business. We've both worked in Australia previously, we know the job markets, we chose NOT to move to Melbourne for various reasons. Its quite irresponsible of you to tell people they need to up sticks and move to Melbourne or whereever to get an IT job, or indeed they need to change career if they refuse to move.

Unless you know us and our circumstances, you can't assume we aren't realistic. We've spent at least two years preparing for this move - that includes research, going through finances, and planning long term for the future. We have a schedule, and we are way ahead if schedule, that's why I know JTL wasn't whinging.

And what consequences are you referring to? Huge mortgage to pay for with only 1 job, or bored to death sitting by the pool? You don't know if we have a mortgage or even our family situation.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

To return to the Selection Criteria issue, briefly. Many jobs will not accept that you have tailored your CV to meet their requirements. They actually want a separate document, answering all the criteria in turn. Simply moving the paragraphs around in your CV is usually not enough.

Oh, and I'd like to add my 6 eggs on the "whinging" issue..... I freely admit that I can whinge with the best of them, but JTL? no way, balanced and informative posts, very rarely a whinge in sight, and I certainly don't believe he is whinging in this thread.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
To return to the Selection Criteria issue, briefly. Many jobs will not accept that you have tailored your CV to meet their requirements. They actually want a separate document, answering all the criteria in turn. Simply moving the paragraphs around in your CV is usually not enough.

Oh, and I'd like to add my 6 eggs on the "whinging" issue..... I freely admit that I can whinge with the best of them, but JTL? no way, balanced and informative posts, very rarely a whinge in sight, and I certainly don't believe he is whinging in this thread.
Well Hello!

I did mention "in the wording" did I not? It's not just a matter of shuffling around paragraphs (although that's also part of it as they want it in the order they request it in) but also of using the wording they use and taking it to explain how YOUR experience is relevant to their requirements. Am I clear enough for everybody now?

As for you thinking he wasn't whinging, hell Pollyanna lets agree to disagree on this one, okay? Generally I like the guys' posts but this time, sorry I think he was whinging. Think what you like.

As for you whinging with the best of them....no comment

It's good to have you back!
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Mother G'Day for your advice. I apologize if my husband appeared to be whinging. I can reassure you he wasn't. He was simply explaining his experience, showing the other side of the coin.

As for refusing to move to where the work is, that's none of your damn business. We've both worked in Australia previously, we know the job markets, we chose NOT to move to Melbourne for various reasons. Its quite irresponsible of you to tell people they need to up sticks and move to Melbourne or whereever to get an IT job, or indeed they need to change career if they refuse to move.

Unless you know us and our circumstances, you can't assume we aren't realistic. We've spent at least two years preparing for this move - that includes research, going through finances, and planning long term for the future. We have a schedule, and we are way ahead if schedule, that's why I know JTL wasn't whinging.

And what consequences are you referring to? Huge mortgage to pay for with only 1 job, or bored to death sitting by the pool? You don't know if we have a mortgage or even our family situation.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
You know I actually don't care about that as I reckon JTL would have made it clear if it was part of the issue. Now lets not get sidetracked and all emotional missy. Like I said to Polly above, it is my opinion that he was whinging about not being able to find a decently paying job in Brisbane whilst refusing to move to somewhere that will offer him that which he seems to want. The issue is not your personal opinion about Melbourne or me on this thread but whether or not an unskilled person can actually earn a living wage in Australia. JTL offered the opinion that he could not, despite his obvious skills and qualifications, find a paying job that will support a family. I begged to differ saying that if you want to live in paradise where there are no jobs to be had then live with the consequences of your decision, do NOT say that there are no decently paying jobs for unskilled(or skilled) people if you choose to live where there is no need for your skills. This seems to be basic common sense and pretty self-explainatory to me, but didn't seem to be the same with JTL so I thought I'd just point it out to him....You can't go around insisting the work comes to you just 'cause you want to live where you want to live, the world doesn't work that way! As for your personal "schedule" -whoopy I'm glad you're on track and doing great. I understand you got a job right off the plane and I'm really glad you did or you'd be up shite creek now without a paddle, or maybe getting a reality check and moving to where there's work?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

I was just relating our current situation, certainly not whinging, but don't really need to be patronised either
Apologies, JTL, if I'd known what response you were going to get I wouldn't have asked you about how you were finding the IT market.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The issue is not your personal opinion about Melbourne or me on this thread but whether or not an unskilled person can actually earn a living wage in Australia. JTL offered the opinion that he could not
I gave an account of my experiences to date. I did not say I couldn't find a job, I just haven't been able to secure the right job... to date.

I begged to differ saying that if you want to live in paradise where there are no jobs to be had then live with the consequences of your decision, do NOT say that there are no decently paying jobs for unskilled(or skilled) people if you choose to live where there is no need for your skills
I didn't say that. There are plenty of jobs here. 829 Brisbane based IT jobs on seek.com to be precise. Add in the government and other websites, I guess totally over 1,200.

You can't go around insisting the work comes to you just 'cause you want to live where you want to live, the world doesn't work that way!
Thanks for explaining that again. How dumb are we. I must either move to Melbourne or Sydney or change career. Oh and I must leave Mrs JTL here, cos somehow she found a good IT job in a place with no IT jobs.

As for your personal "schedule" -whoopy I'm glad you're on track and doing great. I understand you got a job right off the plane and I'm really glad you did or you'd be up shite creek now without a paddle, or maybe getting a reality check
Or maybe we saved, planned, and wouldn't be up shite creek even if neither of us were working for a long time yet. And no she didn't get a job right off the plane, far from that.

and moving to where there's work?
I think you mean 'more' work. There is plenty of IT jobs here (See my response above).

As for you alternative suggestion of staying in *paradise* where there is *no* work, and taking any menial job that comes along... We like it here in Brisbane but we don't call it paradise. And, yeah it would look great too on my CV when I go for an IT management job, and I say I sweep streets or collect trolleys for a living. (No offence to street sweepers or trolley collectors - I respect your jobs.)

Ideally, I would like to have a job now, but your 'solutions' are ludicrous and mis-represent the employment oppotunities here. I'm just recounting my experiences to date, and correcting your extreme advice.

Cheers,
JTL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.