Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Simone, knowing all of what you have just said, Why on earth would most people from England go to perth ?

I keep using the word assimilate !

It's pretty hard to assimilate into mainstream australian culture, in a city full of poms !

(i'm turning into superior now lol)

But xalmighty, go where the work is !!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:03 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

[QUOTE=MrsMangle]
Originally Posted by Grayling
Well I, personally, would not travel halfway round the world to struggle on that sort of wage. :scared:

Maybe you forget, some of us didn't earn this much money in the UK either!
Have to say I agree with you Mrs M, as a civil servant my wages now are not too bad (not brilliant either though) - however with the possibility of redundancy looming it`s head I`ve been looking around. What I`ve found is that for most clerical work the wages can be pretty poor. Personally I`m prepared to be adaptable if we ever get to Oz, because at least earning some money is better than no money at all. I`ve always worked and whether it`s been as a school cleaner or stuffing boneless chickens for M&S, the way I`ve looked at is I will do whatever it takes to provide for my family.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

matt n ann marie is an unknown quantity at this point

We're hoping to get our skilled visa in the not too distant future, and have been a bit frightened a few times when looking at expected wages. It has made us question our decision to move but we generally end up thinking, if the Aussies can live on the wages, then surely we can???

I know of a few people with relatives out there who can't afford to move back because they'd never get the same for their money over here, but that doesn't mean they're struggling in Oz.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Tradespeople earning $150,000 are most likely subcontractors and paying other people wages out of that. Plus overheads like vehicles, fuel, administration costs, and insurances for a start.

The award wage for most trades is about $22 an hour. Due to recent high housing growth in many areas, wages have been way above this $30-35 was possible in the 'boom'.

Like simone said many of these jobs that offer incredible wages are outback, an incentive to go there has to be paid, money. Also 12 hour shifts, three weeks on one off, extreme climate, living accomodations not exactly a beach either.

I would say two years ago we could not get carpenters or bricklayers at times, carpenters being the hardest to get, things have resumed a more normal pace now and I can pick up blokes at 2/3 days notice if my regualar workers cant cope with my workload. Theres work but I dont think the big labour shortages that went on in 2002/3 are relevant now, things are busy but steady.

I dont think a tradesman is going to walk into australia and earn $130,000 a year, it takes years to build up a supply of builders who will find your work perfect enough to give you steady employment. Same with building up a business, reputations take time to build, and who you know is everything.
Australian methods and laws are very different from UK, aussie experience will be a major factor here.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, just realised that I missed Sackospuds reference to his wife as a teacher, apologies.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Whoops, just realised that I missed Sackospuds reference to his wife as a teacher, apologies.

ozzieeagle,

Please don't feel you have to apologize for everything you say - this is a great effort on your behalf and I for one appreciate the idea behind it. Just back everything up with hard facts and ignore the posters who are just giving you a hard time - they are just sore 'cause they didn't think of this super thread.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It Did get my Gander up I've got to admit, I mean people coming over and saying the wages are so much lower than the UK. Well to dispel all the myths, and clear the muddied waters. Read the two latest newsreports pertaining to the subject of average weekly wages from both countries.

Australia, is just a small foreign exchange adjustment behind on the respective currencies of in fact having a higher average weekly wage than the UK.

It all depends of what piece of the pie you get and how ones positions one self and most importantly how one assimilates. (I love that word assimilate lol)

Just shows what Statisticts can produce.

Source http://www.sbpost.ie/breakingnews/br...8&n=8782500&x=

24/02/2005 - 4:16:59 PM

North workers happy with lower-than-average wages: survey

Workers in the North are the most satisfied with their salaries in the UK, despite having the lowest average earnings, a report today claimed.

The average wage in Northern Ireland is £17,366 (€25,000) a year, which is 77.5% of the UK national average of £22,411 (€32,400), according to PayFinder.com, which compares salaries and jobs. Yet a survey of 2,700 people by the website found that 40% of Northern Irish respondents were satisfied with their earnings.

While a majority of 60% were dissatisfied with their wages in the North, this compared to 91% of workers being dissatisfied in Wales – the highest rate in the UK – where the average wage is £20,391 (€29,400).

It may not come as a surprise to learn that 81% of UK employees, a proportion equivalent to 23 million people, are unhappy with their current salary, but nearly half of those questioned in the survey, 46%, said they hadn’t taken part in a salary review in the last 12 months.

Workers were found to be reluctant to ask for a raise, even though they were unhappy with their pay.

The survey found that 92% of all respondents thought they are worth more money, but only 52% would consider asking for it.

CJ Brough, a spokeswoman for PayFinder.com, said: “It says rather a lot about the Northern Irish way of life that despite earning the lowest salaries, their workers are the most content.

“People in different regions have different attitudes to work, and there’s a difference between those who treat it just as a nine-to-five job that provides them with enough money to live on, and those whose jobs are social symbols or who have a greater desire to earn more and more. Maybe the Northern Irish just do not complain much about their jobs.�

Liz Thornelow, a spokeswoman for the GMB general trade union, said: “As a trade union representing thousands of workers in Northern Ireland, these results are not what we would expect and do not fit in with feedback we have received from our members.

“These figures are based on an online survey so we would query how representative they are of the country as a whole. But salaries in both public and private sectors are usually unnecessarily low. We are only too aware of this and are always trying to negotiate higher wages on behalf of our members.

“Parts of Northern Ireland continue to suffer badly from the decline in the manufacturing industry. With hundreds of jobs in the clothing and textile industries, for instance, disappearing in the last few months, it may be in areas where unemployment is hard and workers are concerned their jobs are under threat that they are less likely to express disappointment with wages.�

Compared to the following source, Please make note of the Last Paragraph.

http://www.outboundpublishing.com/cg...howitem=000160

Average wage now AUS$50,000

The official benchmark of average Australian earnings has risen above AUS$50,000 for the first time.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said average weekly ordinary-time earnings for full-time workers climbed to AUS$961.80 late last year – an annual salary of AUS$50,013.

It took eight years for the average wage to climb from AUS$30,000 to AUS$40,000 in February 2000, but only half that time to move from AUS$40,000 to AUS$50,000. The average wage has doubled since 1988.

An analysis by CommSec economist Craig James shows wages growth has been easily outstripping inflation recently. Since mid 2000, when the GST was introduced, wages have risen by 21 per cent while prices have gone up by an average of only seven per cent, he said. “Australian wage earners have enjoyed substantial real wage gains in the past few years,� said James.

However, the latest earnings figures highlight the big income disparity between male and female workers. The ABS’s measure of total average earnings – which includes part-timers and full-timers – shows men earn AUS$310.10 more a week than women. In 1996 the gap was AUS$229.10.

Average ordinary-time earnings for full-time male workers was AUS$1016.30 a week last quarter – AUS$152.30 more than women.

The earnings figures showed workers in the ACT have the highest average ordinary-time weekly earnings at AUS$1081.30 and Tasmania the lowest with AUS$878.50. The figure in NSW was AUS$995.40, or AUS$51,761 a year.

When overtime and bonuses are added the national average weekly wage is AUS$1,009.60 for an annual salary of AUS$52,500

See the February edition of Australian News to get the full story.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Hi Ozzieeagle

Great thread and a few interesting replies, what i've got from it is, you need a certain amount of determination and luck to go along with where you have chosen to live to get the job that pays the money you think you will be happy and comfortable with, that gives you the dream, 'we' I'm sure, are all hoping to live

My wife and I are both professional workers, my wife earns double what I do and will be looking to downsize her job in Oz, as is the plan, with yours truly hoping to get something close to what I have just now, but, who knows whats ahead of us, we are heading for Brissie so heres hoping there is the jobs for us, no rose tinted here, but again who knows til you get there and start the trawl???

We are moving for the lifestyle change and if we have to adapt jobwise then so be it, you only get one chance of this life, so like Robert the Bruce who watched the spider, 'if at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again'!

Bill :scared:
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

When overtime and bonuses are added the national average weekly wage is AUS$1,009.60 for an annual salary of AUS$52,500

I will stick to my original point.

From a personal perspective I don't see that as much of an incentive to move halfway across the world.

I will maintain that, despite what a lot of people say, most migrants do not expect to be worse off.

For every post that states people 'will do anything to survive' or 'not worried about earnings....it's the lifestyle'. There will be several that talk about big houses, 4x4 cars,utes, boats, pools etc....etc...

Well hello!... 'lifestyle' that includes the above is only possible if you have money.

You can't eat sunshine or trade with it at the shops

G
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mr mover
yeah like 90 k a year drivin 85 tonne dump trucks in WA. Only set back, 3weeks on 1week off,easy job, but........................ mm
Hi there,could you give a bit more info on your job ang what is the job market like in wa for truck drivers as I hope to be out there in the next 9 months thanks
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From a personal perspective I don't see that as much of an incentive to move halfway across the world.

I will maintain that, despite what a lot of people say, most migrants do not expect to be worse off.

For every post that states people 'will do anything to survive' or 'not worried about earnings....it's the lifestyle'. There will be several that talk about big houses, 4x4 cars,utes, boats, pools etc....etc...

Well hello!... 'lifestyle' that includes the above is only possible if you have money.

G
I agree with your post grayling. On my average wages, I Dont have a pool, nor a 4x4, or a boat, opps save for a "tinny" with an outboard. I know some people on average wages that have a combination of these, I can go for a swim anytime I like, well within reason.

Nope my little luxury, bought and maintained on average income is a caravan and annexe up at Nagambie, right on the goulburn river. This is the view from the back of my annexe.

Priceless in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)-ggggg.jpg  
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your post grayling. On my average wages, I Dont have a pool, nor a 4x4, or a boat, opps save for a "tinny" with an outboard. I know some people on average wages that have a combination of these, I can go for a swim anytime I like, well within reason.

Nope my little luxury, bought and maintained on average income is a caravan and annexe up at Nagambie, right on the goulburn river. This is the view from the back of my annexe.

Priceless in my opinion.
Ozzie

I am not suggesting that people can not live on that income or indeed have a reasonable 'lifestyle'. However from reading about people's expectations on this forum, many are not going to achieve their 'dream' on the average wage.

As it is an average many are going to earn far less than that as many will earn more.
For example my son is on $130K+ (in Adelaide) so many families will be on a lot less than average simply to make it an average.

My point was that I see no reason to give up a good lifestyle here to move to a poorer one there.

Fortunately, for me, it will not apply anyway as we already have pensions and investments which total more than the 'average' anyway.

If I needed to work to survive I would not go unless I had a 'cast-iron' guarantee of a well paid job.

The attraction, for many migrants, seems to be that they can buy a house and some trappings outright with the proceeds of a house sale in the UK.

For many that simply is not possible. Hence it is a bit pointless talking in general terms about wages and lifestyle as many on this forum will be able to have a lifestyle that will simply not be affordable for many others regardless what they are earning.

Average wages may be OK for someone with no mortgage and some savings but others will struggle to survive on that amount.

G
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agree again Grayling.

There wouldn't be too many "white collar" type workers earning what your son earns in Adelaide thats for sure. Assuming he is a White collar worker.

I'm also summising that most people come over as couples, and are dual income families.

Which takes us back to the mire, as to what is average lol.

My own personal circumstances were boosted greatly, when after 10 plus years of working for the Gas and Fuel, that they, the GandF went the way of so many government utilities into privatisation. The payout ended my mortgage worry's forever. However it did take me almost 6 months to find a semi reasonable job again, in the post office, and that was via typically aussie nepotistic means.

One things is for sure, I'm never putting myself in debt, with a mortgage again, no matter how tempted I am by a luxury type house. Nope at age 45 plus, It's time to enjoy the fruits of my wife and I past labour.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Agree again Grayling.

There wouldn't be too many "white collar" type workers earning what your son earns in Adelaide thats for sure. Assuming he is a White collar worker.
I agree

He is a design engineer and his salary was a means for his company to persuade him to move to Adelaide.

However, there is a lesson here.

Such wages are hard to come by outside of Sydney or Melbourne and the fact that one person can earn this much does not mean that very well paid jobs are common.

There are many who post here who earn high wages but does that make them typical.

It is all very well for posters to cite high wages in mining in WA for example but how many are actually going to be able (or willing) to do such work?

Generalisations can not be made from individual circumstances which is why we have so many different experiences described on here from the 'everything is wonderful' to 'life is a real struggle'. This despite people living in the same place, doing similar work etc.

Circumstances will always vary between people.

G
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:08 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

G
Its called investments... dont have to work hard for your money, just make your money work hard for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.