Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

weird driving rules in Oz

weird driving rules in Oz

Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weird driving rules in Oz

Has no-one mentioned 'undertaking' yet?

Up until a few months ago it was perfectly legal to go past a car in the right hand land by switching into the left hand lane and accelerating past them.

But just recently in Queensland they outlawed it. Of course 99% of drivers don't read the driving laws, or care, so its as prevelant as ever. So you can still be sitting in the outside lane, doing the speed limit, and someone comes screaming up the inside lane and passes. I haven't heard of anyone being stopped for 'undertaking' yet.

But further to my previous post. I was driving in a right hand lane a few weeks back, when I spotted the guy behind me switch into the left lane to 'undertake' me. I also knew the left hand lane disappeared in 200 metres, so I didn't help him (*ahem* ). He got to the end of the left hand lane couldn't get back into the right hand lane, and had to sit there with his indicator going as 10's of cars streamed past him.

Moral of the story. Don't even think about undertaking someone unless you know the road, and where the left hand lane runs out. And its supposedly illegal now, so don't do it.

JTL
Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:26 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Melchels
Also, the left hand lane that is ending has right of way over the right that is continuing, or so I am lead to believe, maybe wrong someone may correct me!

It depends.

If there is a dotted line (which is usually the case) the left lane does not have right of way. If there is no dotted lines then the car furthest ahead has right of way.

A
Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I got one question wrong in the written driving test.

It asked : 'when merging onto a new road (eg freeway) who should give way- the joiner, or traffic on the freeway'?

judging by the way people drive I thought it had to be different here and said 'the joiner' - apparently it is not! Surprise surprise - all the drivers ignore the road rules and do whatever they want instead!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well, on alot of roads, the left lane tends to disappear. You get a sign saying 'merge into one lane' about 100 metres before the left lane disappears, which means you then have to beg the cars in the right lane to let you in. Which of course is a joke Indicate, wave, smile, point etc "Let you in.... forget it 'mate'?".

So its much easier just to stay in the right lane, especially on roads you don't know.

JTL
You know there's a 1 in 8 chance that the other driver is a Brit

But further to my previous post. I was driving in a right hand lane a few weeks back, when I spotted the guy behind me switch into the left lane to 'undertake' me. I also knew the left hand lane disappeared in 200 metres, so I didn't help him (*ahem* ). He got to the end of the left hand lane couldn't get back into the right hand lane, and had to sit there with his indicator going as 10's of cars streamed past him.

Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Pomster
I also love freeway driving. Most people sit in middle lane at 80kmph, to save having to move out for anyone, and instead block the whole traffic flow!
Ahh...memories of the M25
Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:40 am
ABCDiamond

Well, on alot of roads, the left lane tends to disappear. You get a sign saying 'merge into one lane' about 100 metres before the left lane disappears, which means you then have to beg the cars in the right lane to let you in. Which of course is a joke Indicate, wave, smile, point etc "Let you in.... forget it 'mate'?".

So its much easier just to stay in the right lane, especially on roads you don't know.

JTL
"So its much easier just to stay in the right lane"

That's about right

The polite drivers who stay in the left lane are the ones who get caught out, and not let back in, by the ones who know what will happen and jump straight into the right lane, to avoid it happening.

Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:42 am
ABCDiamond

Has no-one mentioned 'undertaking' yet?

Up until a few months ago it was perfectly legal to go past a car in the right hand land by switching into the left hand lane and accelerating past them.

But just recently in Queensland they outlawed it. Of course 99% of drivers don't read the driving laws,
Did the the laws get changed ? oops

Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:51 am

Back to the OP, here's a few good ones (from Victoria):

- If a separate lane exists you are allowed to overtake on the left as well as the right. (Note that there are a lot more right turns off dual carriageways here than in the UK - this is a common reason for slow cars in the right hand lane)

- You are allowed to go into a bus lane (tram lane) temporarily to overtake a car that is blocking the road while trying to turn right.

- You are allowed to go into a bus lane 100m before doing a left turn (50m for a bike lane).

- You can park your motocycle on the pavement (for free) as long as it does not cause an obstruction.

Some unusual ones for Melbourne (including the Hook Turn).
- You must stop to let passengers board or disembark a tram. This means you have to stop as the trams generally run in the centre of the street and the stops are on the side. The passenger is allowed to step into the road and hold up the car if the tram is coming.

- You can only pass a tram at a certain speed (I think it's 10k) - when it is stopped (and not picking up or unloading passengers).

- Although not a rule, VicRoads rules try to encourage road sharing (to varying degrees of success and failure), which can take a bit of getting used to. On a roundabout if you are in the right lane turning right someone may join in the left lane as you go around (i.e. they didn't join the roundabout on the same entrance as you). Because of this you should always do a quick check over your left shoulder when you come off (a bit like Hyde Park corner.) On a dual carriageway, someone pulling out from the left may cross straight into the right hand lane - they will frequently do this if they are going to be turning right soon after. Because of this you need to be careful moving into the right hand lane to allow someone out from the side like you would in the UK. If you are entering a dual carriageway and the left lane is clear then the cars on the main road generally stay in the right hand lane. They don't tend to drift to the left like they do in the UK without indication.

You'll get used to it very soon and you'll learn to use your indicators again.
A
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:32 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I drove from Melbourne to Adelaide and all the way from Cairns to Sydney with very few problems.

I didn't enjoy being a pedestrian though. Especially in Sydney. Very scary!

The hook turn was okay so long as you knew you were heading for a hook-turn junction. Otherwise you approach in the right lane, see the sign at 50yds then have to get over left PDQ.

Sure, there are a lot of slow drivers but there are crawler lanes every couple of miles on the main roads- I would love those on the A41 from Brum to Chester or the 50 miles from the motorway into Bridlington.

I only recall one idiot up my exhaust like so many mentioned. I raced her for about 50 miles, accelerating slightly at every crawler lane and slowing down afterwards. She wasn't prepared to go 10kmh faster than the limit to pass me. Great fun! You have to do something to beat the boredom on those long drives.

The hardest thing is sticking to those slow speed limits. 110kmh is about 65mph I think and the cops hide everywhere so you have to stick to it. I started each day relaxed but when I saw signs saying the next town was 150km away I got bored and started going faster and faster. When I go to my parents I use the M6 toll and can drive at 170kmh+ without any fear of getting caught. Even normal motorways 140kmh+ is unlikely to get you a ticket.

Maybe what I am saying is that I should fit right in!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

I read that if you have a driving license for the state you live in, lets say, Queenlands, and you move to another state, then its only valid for 3 months, like a UK license and you will need to get another one. So if its NWS to QLD then a theory test is required!!

Could this be still true?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by manxfamily
I read that if you have a driving license for the state you live in, lets say, Queenlands, and you move to another state, then its only valid for 3 months, like a UK license and you will need to get another one. So if its NWS to QLD then a theory test is required!!

Could this be still true?
No it isn't, its just a straight swap, when its State to State.

Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:48 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
"So its much easier just to stay in the right lane"

That's about right

The polite drivers who stay in the left lane are the ones who get caught out, and not let back in, by the ones who know what will happen and jump straight into the right lane, to avoid it happening.
Hi....

My name's Rob

And I'm a serial undertaker

I started undertaking in the UK when I realised there were inconsiderate gits who wouldn't get out of the right hand lanes.

It started pretty innocuously - the odd undertake here, another one there.

I considered installing a 'GET OUT OF THE MIDDLE LANE LOSER!' neon light in my car's rear window, that's when I knew I was suffering the side effects.

Then I came to Australia....

Middle lane driving is a national past time and so my habit has been fuelled. I have an addiction.

...next week, Mispronunciation anonymous (seriously, it's 'Go the maroons' not 'mar-own-s')

R
Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by samnrob2
I started undertaking in the UK when I realised there were inconsiderate gits who wouldn't get out of the right hand lanes.

Careful Rob, you may be undermining a few tenets here, by suggesting these sort of things happen in the UK
Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:31 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
They have rules??? coz I sure didn't notice many when we were over there

D D

Maybe you were recognised and word spread and every one kept out of your way..............
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:33 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
You could add to that....

When in a multistory car park don't wait for a car doing a parking maneuver. Just squeeze past and block.

When looking for a space in a multistory don’t let people leave a space or block them trying to exit. It must be easier to find a space if you block people actually in the spaces.

When approaching a roundabout don’t bother to give way and if you do make sure its at the wrong time, like if someone wants to get on from the exit to your left!

When on the number 1 pacific highway make sure you stay in the left hand lane that is about to run out for as long as possible then without looking behind to see if its safe pull out into the fast or overtaking lane.

Remember to be blissfully unaware of your surroundings and leave your cruise control on set to 10kph less than the speed limit. Now its safe to fall asleep.

Also be extra courteous to fellow road users by always speeding up to match an overtaking car.

When overtaking on a freeway do so as slowly as possible and carefully adjust your speed to 1kph faster than the car you are overtaking, take as long as you can to pass the car and ignore the cars now running up your backside.

Hoot as much as possible when you see someone else do a U turn at a set of lights that they are not supposed to. HOOT HOOT TELLING!

Save fuel by getting within 3 feet of the car in front and use his slip stream to reduce drag on your car.

Oh and one last thing always lock you car or get a fine.

All this stuff happens in the UK too mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.