Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

weird driving rules in Oz

weird driving rules in Oz

Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:46 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: weird driving rules in Oz

Originally Posted by jond
When in Port Douglas I saw someone get pulled up because he did not indicate when going round a bend that had a turnoff on it, even though he was just going round the bend.
My brother in Law also got in a bit of bother when he moved to Melbourne because he kept edging out into the traffic, a bit of a hard habit to break when you are used to driving in the East End of London.

John
What's that one all about? I don't remember it when I sat my test here.
We think everyone is loopy, indicating to go round the bend. Where the hell else are they going to go? and why aren't people as good at indicating when they are going to turn off the main flow of traffic? grrr!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:55 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
They have rules??? coz I sure didn't notice many when we were over there

D D

I'm pretty sure that if you have a Toorak Tractor you are exempt from obeying any driving rules.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

From my memory don't one way carriageways have a wrong way go back sign? That should be enough to suggest the general standard of driving!

Swapped jobs and homes with an Aussie a few years back - you can imagine what they thought of our country lanes!

Bezza
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:16 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Valid for 3 months - then sit the test - but its not practical, just theoretical, and supposed to be quite easy.

This is certainly the case in QLD, but not sure about other states. I assume its the same
In NSW, ACT, WA & Victoria a UK Car licence holder no longer has to do any Test, all other States require a us to do a Theory Test, before getting their Australian State Licence.

Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Roundabouts can be dodgy as the rule used to be 1st on it had right of way till early 90's now its give way to right but will still be some old school drivers out there , beep beep :scared:

Roundabout Rules They are beginning to advertise it again as so many people get it wrong

From the NRMA
Do roundabout rules leave you feeling dizzy and confused?
Many people are unclear about who has right of way and when is the appropriate time to indicate when using a roundabout. Here we unravel the roundabout mystery:

Take special care when you approach a roundabout. Slow down and prepare to give way to any vehicle in the roundabout. Only enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic.
The current rule from the Queensland Transport

Who gives way at a roundabout?
A vehicle approaching a roundabout must give way to any vehicles that are already on the roundabout.

Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:30 pm
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marie197500
hi
does anybody know whether our english license will suffice over their or do we need to retake test

marie
In WA your UK licence will be valid for 12 months if you are on a visitor visa, if you are on a permenent visa you will need to change it to a WA licence within 3 months, there are NO tests at all, costs about $85, and is done there and then at the licencing centre.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

How's this meant to help?

http://www.hobbiesplus.com.au/signsp...goback0197.JPG

By the time you've read it ...... crash!

Bezza
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:40 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Roundabout Rules They are beginning to advertise it again as so many people get it wrong

They could do with doing that in the UK.

What's that indicating left when going straight across a rounabaout, thing about

A
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:05 am

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by marie197500
hi
does anybody know whether our english license will suffice over their or do we need to retake test

marie
Valid for 3 months in NSW then you simply exchange it for NSW licnece, no test no theory no drama, you can purchase (I think this is right) a 1 , 3 or 5 year licence then.

Truck liceneces aren't recognised for some reason though ???
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:17 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
Valid for 3 months in NSW then you simply exchange it for NSW licnece, no test no theory no drama, you can purchase (I think this is right) a 1 , 3 or 5 year licence then.

Truck liceneces aren't recognised for some reason though ???
I don't think you can immediately buy the 5 year licence, I believe you have to have held an oz one for a number of years before they let you? A 3 year NSW one cost us $94 last year.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

My advice is drive quite aggressively and don't let any one in turning from a junction etc, because thats how they drive here. Don't speed, because the speed cameras are invisible and they will always catch you, even if you break the limit for a second. I've been done FOUR TIMES NOW. Also learn the parking signs like your life depends on it, because your car can only be left for a couple of minutes and you will still get a ticket. I've been done THREE TIMES FOR THIS TOO. Careful with drink/drugs because the cops do regular random breath tests, too. When I was learning the driving rules handbook to take my test in Victoria (just before they relaxed the rule - bloody typical!) I didn't notice anything about turning left at red signals if it is safe, not for Victoria anyway.
I'll stop rambling on now.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nick11
Are there any weird driving rules in Oz - like the one in USA where you can turn at a red light if there's nothing coming.Just thought I'd ask
Nick
There are a couple of strange unwritten rules when driving in OZ:

1. drive as close to the car in front of you as possible :scared:
2. stay in the outside lane for as long as you can, driving at the slowest possible speed
3. never park within a parking bay, always park over the line
4. never let another car out at a junction or slip road
5. never freely give up right of way

Sam
Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:57 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam&molly
There are a couple of strange unwritten rules when driving in OZ:

1. drive as close to the car in front of you as possible :scared:
2. stay in the outside lane for as long as you can, driving at the slowest possible speed
3. never park within a parking bay, always park over the line
4. never let another car out at a junction or slip road
5. never freely give up right of way

Sam
You could add to that....

When in a multistory car park don't wait for a car doing a parking maneuver. Just squeeze past and block.

When looking for a space in a multistory don’t let people leave a space or block them trying to exit. It must be easier to find a space if you block people actually in the spaces.

When approaching a roundabout don’t bother to give way and if you do make sure its at the wrong time, like if someone wants to get on from the exit to your left!

When on the number 1 pacific highway make sure you stay in the left hand lane that is about to run out for as long as possible then without looking behind to see if its safe pull out into the fast or overtaking lane.

Remember to be blissfully unaware of your surroundings and leave your cruise control on set to 10kph less than the speed limit. Now its safe to fall asleep.

Also be extra courteous to fellow road users by always speeding up to match an overtaking car.

When overtaking on a freeway do so as slowly as possible and carefully adjust your speed to 1kph faster than the car you are overtaking, take as long as you can to pass the car and ignore the cars now running up your backside.

Hoot as much as possible when you see someone else do a U turn at a set of lights that they are not supposed to. HOOT HOOT TELLING!

Save fuel by getting within 3 feet of the car in front and use his slip stream to reduce drag on your car.

Oh and one last thing always lock you car or get a fine.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

On entering a car park with plenty of empty spaces, pick a car at random and place your car close behind it. Be prepared to wait until the owner returns from shopping and moves their vehicle, then you can nip into the space. Much easier than parking in all the empty places around......

(I kid you not, they all do it here! WHY!!!!! Good game to play if you see someone waiting for you to move - get into your car and just sit there for several minutes without moving - winds people up no end as they rev their engine, waiting to move in on that favourite space...... )
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

gotthevisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nick11
Are there any weird driving rules in Oz - like the one in USA where you can turn at a red light if there's nothing coming.Just thought I'd ask
Nick
The wierdest one i've discovered (not to mention most dangerous) appears to be unwritten but it goes like this.....................

Drive as close to the rear bumper of the car in front, as close to, or over the permittaed speed limit, until you have intimidated the driver in front so much that they pull over and let you past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.