Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

weird driving rules in Oz

weird driving rules in Oz

Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:32 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: weird driving rules in Oz

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Valid for 3 months - then sit the test - but its not practical, just theoretical, and supposed to be quite easy.

This is certainly the case in QLD, but not sure about other states. I assume its the same
In SA, its 3 months after you get PR.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:46 am
Badge

Originally Posted by gotthevisa
The wierdest one i've discovered (not to mention most dangerous) appears to be unwritten but it goes like this.....................

Drive as close to the rear bumper of the car in front, as close to, or over the permittaed speed limit, until you have intimidated the driver in front so much that they pull over and let you past.
Truckies do this. Cars can just overtake.

This is what people do in Europe as they won't overtake (yet) on the inside, they even indicate RIGHT - 'off' the highway.
The Germans love it especially. I always give them the bird and a salute and wave as they overtake on the inside.

Badge

Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:48 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gotthevisa
The wierdest one i've discovered (not to mention most dangerous) appears to be unwritten but it goes like this.....................

Drive as close to the rear bumper of the car in front, as close to, or over the permittaed speed limit, until you have intimidated the driver in front so much that they pull over and let you past.
I'm glad I don't live in QLD.

A
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I'm glad I don't live in QLD.

A
Don't go to Sydney then I moved up from Sydney, and the traffic here is much more relaxed

Unfortunately it has been getting worse, as more and more people are moving here from places like Sydney and London The old slow style is becoming faster and faster, and impatience is building up.

Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Roy Edward Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point

This is my experience in Victoria:

If on a 457 visa you don't need to get a driving license. Only when you get permament residence.

Don't get it earlier than you should, as they can't apply speeding points to your Uk license, you'll just get a fine.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

The Aussie driving experience is not the best facet of life down under, especially in Sydney anyway.

Forget all that flashing your lights to give your fellow motorist in a tight spot a break to be rewarded with an appreciative wave. The famous Aussie 'mateship' is left on the pavement when they get into a car.

Pedestrians are afforded little respect either. Even the 'green man' at traffic lights has it in for you. Walkers don't get exclusive right of way at the 'green man'; cars can do a left-turn if it is clear - ie. in practice, as soon as they have enough time\space to whizz in front or behind you.

At roundabouts, be prepared to get out of the car to pull straws to see who goes first. Many drivers don't have a clue! Amongst those who at least try, you'll see all sorts of attempts to use indicators to show where they are exiting. Indicators and circles...all too confusing.

The use of indicators is fairly selective; a kind of if I get away with not bothering approach..I won't. However, I do agree, I have seen amazing observance of using indicators at a sharp bends in the road! Must be something in their history.

In general, the old 'mirror, signal and manouvre' routine is afforded all sorts of variants. Usually 'manouvre...can't be arsed..can't be arsed...beep horn...swerve...what are you doing there behind me?'

There is a sense that there used to not be so much traffic around when many of these guys started to drive. It's kinda all crept up behind them.

Finally, think twice about riding a motorbike or scooter. The motorist's 'blind spot' is exactly that - blind! By the way, riding a scooter is not some cool Mod thing over here. You're an eccentric and as such other sort of 'eccentrics' can swerve in front of you, shout abuse and throw objects at you. I've had it all on my Vespa including glass bottles.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:01 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Don't go to Sydney then I moved up from Sydney, and the traffic here is much more relaxed

Unfortunately it has been getting worse, as more and more people are moving here from places like Sydney and London The old slow style is becoming faster and faster, and impatience is building up.
I drove from Melbourne to Sydney when we first arrived (and I agree with your comments on the driving in Sydney). It was very noticable, and being new to Aus, surprising, that there was a big difference in driving style between VIC and NSW. In VIC the driving is not that different to the UK (wrt London) whereas NSW was more like France.

Of the many differences, one was that the NSWs drive 10k over the limit whereas the VICs drive on the limit. However, for a similar road, the speed limit tends to be 10k higher in VIC.

Cheers
Al
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:50 am
Badge

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I drove from Melbourne to Sydney when we first arrived (and I agree with your comments on the driving in Sydney). It was very noticable, and being new to Aus, surprising, that there was a big difference in driving style between VIC and NSW. In VIC the driving is not that different to the UK (wrt London) whereas NSW was more like France.

Of the many differences, one was that the NSWs drive 10k over the limit whereas the VICs drive on the limit. However, for a similar road, the speed limit tends to be 10k higher in VIC.

Cheers
Al
Some nice empirical observations. On the South Eastern around berwick after 6pm everyone does 10pc though - the only place I have noticed.

One of my "BIG TOP 10 HUGE" differences in Australia is people do not generally let people in with lights - but when I do, the tradies tend to acknowledge you.

badge

Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:02 am
ABCDiamond

We should all drive with courtesy, maybe it will rub off

Do you know WHY most people drive in the right lane ?

Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:23 am

gedge has disabled reputation

On the roads around Sydney I can understand why people drive in the middle or right lane. If you get in the left lane, you are bound to come round the corner and find someone parked there.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Roy Edward Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point

In Victoria, you find that when country roads reduce the number of lanes, say from two to one, then the left one is the one that ends. Unlike the UK, in which the right most one will end. This really catches me out!
The Australian system is stupid, it encourages people to stay in the right hand lane. I suppose the system is based around the Austraians inability to follow the road rules.

This won't be why they drive in the right lane, I think that's just because of the god awful Australian "No Worries" attitude to any kind of road rules.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Roy Edward Taylor
In Victoria, you find that when country roads reduce the number of lanes, say from two to one, then the left one is the one that ends. Unlike the UK, in which the right most one will end. This really catches me out!
The Australian system is stupid, it encourages people to stay in the right hand lane. I suppose the system is based around the Austraians inability to follow the road rules.

This won't be why they drive in the right lane, I think that's just because of the god awful Australian "No Worries" attitude to any kind of road rules.
Also, the left hand lane that is ending has right of way over the right that is continuing, or so I am lead to believe, maybe wrong someone may correct me!

I find driving in Oz stressfull. It is the only place I have ever had a speeding ticket (in 20 years of driving) and now I spend most of my time looking at the speedo and trying to work out the limit whenever I see a police car. How paranoid!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Well, on alot of roads, the left lane tends to disappear. You get a sign saying 'merge into one lane' about 100 metres before the left lane disappears, which means you then have to beg the cars in the right lane to let you in. Which of course is a joke Indicate, wave, smile, point etc "Let you in.... forget it 'mate'?".

So its much easier just to stay in the right lane, especially on roads you don't know.

JTL
Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roy Edward Taylor

Yeah, that 'left hand-lane ends' happens in NSW, for instance up in The Blue Mountains. My Australian girlfriend tried to excuse it by saying that it was due to the nature of the terrain. Aye...that'll be right...along with the Drop Bear sanctuary!!
It certainly doesn't help the habit of driving in the overtaking right-hand lanes. The RTA seems to be trying; I noted signs warning of fines for not driving to the left. I just think that, particularly in Sydney, the roads have suddenly got busier in recent years, whereas before there was less need to 'optimise' the driving space. Roads are so busy in the UK, discipline is a necessity.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I love the hook turns in melbourne...best way to approach them is to follow the car in front, who has pulled over left but has his right indicator going (and hope he really is turning and has not just forgotten about indicator).
If there is no-one in front, find a different route to get to your destination!

I also love freeway driving. Most people sit in middle lane at 80kmph, to save having to move out for anyone, and instead block the whole traffic flow!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.