Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WDU - Revisited.

WDU - Revisited.

Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future
Default Re: WDU - Revisited.

So now that WDU revisited is finished what other programs about Australia is on or coming on soon??
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wanttobedownunder
So now that WDU revisited is finished what other programs about Australia is on or coming on soon??
Isn't the Oz relocation program still on is it channel 4??? think thats on a Friday isn't it?

Other than that can't help you
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future

Yes, but it is the last In the series tonight This was probably the more informative of the two and more realistic.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

piglet74 is on a distinguished road

My family and I have been planing to relocate to Melbourne next year but after seeing the Melbourne (one with the Physio and co ) episode of WDU im feeling abit unsure of ourr choice
All the house they looked at were awful and the city looked, well not as green and lovely as i imagined AND it was raining and everybody had scarfs and warm coats. I know that Melbourne had four sesons and all but didnt think it was going to be downright freezing!
Looks like its back to the drawing board for me
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aussiedreamer
Hi

Agree with CalnGary on this we really enjoy it here however we have explained that things aren't as easy as some people think and it's the daft things you miss. But we are definately not fed up and enjoy our life here. But we are in the hands of the editors

j
Hi Jane, watched your revisited tonight - funny how they kept showing the bit where you were mounting the horse and landed on your backside on the box over and over again!!! Know what you mean about mercy of the editors now!

Would you please PM me if you get chance with any contact details for the builder your OH works for as I'd like to start building my sunshine coast contacts b4 we get there, is OH still getting plenty of work?

He certainly looked to have got better work than the joiners shop in Adelaide building Ikea units for Subway!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by piglet74
My family and I have been planing to relocate to Melbourne next year but after seeing the Melbourne (one with the Physio and co ) episode of WDU im feeling abit unsure of ourr choice
All the house they looked at were awful and the city looked, well not as green and lovely as i imagined AND it was raining and everybody had scarfs and warm coats. I know that Melbourne had four sesons and all but didnt think it was going to be downright freezing!
Mellie really isn't that bad, yes you get some rotten weather sometimes, ask the poor soles who had the storms and flooding, but potentially you can get some freak weather in any part of Oz, Sydney dust storms will be legendary from last year.
I think what people easily forget is Melbourne is a major city like London, if you want to live in or VERY close to the city as he did because of his sight problems then you do have to take into account the house prices will be much more and there will be less green areas although you can still find reserves and parks in the city - I believe more so than London.
Melbourne can be cold in Winter but unless your in the moutains you unlikely to need to de-ice your car or get any snow. In the summer it can get very hot, and you get a lot more blue skies than the UK, on the whole I think you get quite a nice mix of weather after the heat of the summer some people want a few months where it's cooler and I think summers tend to be longer than in the UK and the cold weather your talking about doesn't last that long out there.

If you can be more amenable with regards how far you're prepared to live from the city you are likely to get much more space and more for your money.
There are some really lovely houses out there and even better the land isn't too expensive further out so if you can buy a piece of land you can pick what house you want on it, and you would have wide price range of properties to choose from as well as styles.

Its one of the reasons I don't like these programs is cause for the week that they were there it lets people base they're opinions on what could just be bad week of weather and they're restrictions meant they were reduced to some pretty shocking houses but that may not apply to you.

I am biased cause I love Melbourne, I don't think we'll live there but when we go there I feel like i'm home which is nice.

In all honestly I think you should short list where you want to live based only on where you want to be and not on WDU or any other program and then do a reccie and at least visit one or two of those so say you picked Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth I'd try and visit at least 2 of those in your reccie.

Best of luck
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

I'm absolutely positive that if the family who tried Melbourne (physio & family) had been able to live out in a more rural area they would have made the move to Aus.

They were very restricted on their budget and his degenerating sight thus the need to live in the city and have less of a choice of where they could afford to live and what they could afford to buy. Shame.

Originally Posted by piglet74
Even Perth feels 'freezing' in winter, especially indoors as most places don't seem to have any form of central heating - we were horrified at how cold it was in our rental brrrrrrrrrrr. Even the rellies shut off most of their house in the winter and hole up in the family room/kitchen area with a gas fire for the cold months - seems a big waste of a big house to me!!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 2plus3
I'm absolutely positive that if the family who tried Melbourne (physio & family) had been able to live out in a more rural area they would have made the move to Aus.

They were very restricted on their budget and his degenerating sight thus the need to live in the city and have less of a choice of where they could afford to live and what they could afford to buy. Shame.

Even Perth feels 'freezing' in winter, especially indoors as most places don't seem to have any form of central heating - we were horrified at how cold it was in our rental brrrrrrrrrrr. Even the rellies shut off most of their house in the winter and hole up in the family room/kitchen area with a gas fire for the cold months - seems a big waste of a big house to me!!
LOL
We arrived at Sydney in June and the first 2 weeks we thought we'd arrived in the wrong country cause it rained almost constantly and I felt frozen. But then we had 4 weeks solid with no rain, sun every day and by midday most days we were in t shirts and shorts lol. Same in Melbourne we had 2 weeks in Feb/March one year and it only rained once rest the time was nice blue skies and was very hot most the time. But when we went in August 2008 half the week was quite cool, 2 of those days were jumpers and coats and we had a couple of days where it was t shirt weather.

I also think that regardless of how hot Australia gets once you've aclimatised it will then feel cold in winter although i've watched a couple of the QLD revisiteds and they were in summer stuff in winter lol

I dunno maybe some people are better suited to Dubai or sahara desert? does it cold there? LOL
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 2plus3

I forgot to add that it rained for almost the entire 4 weeks that we were in Perth too!! According to friends and relatives the weather the following winter was even worse!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

When they do a series of revisited do they take an entire WDU series and go back to them or just a select few ? For instance,the oneS that you guys are just finishing up with were from what original series? TIA
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shirlw
When they do a series of revisited do they take an entire WDU series and go back to them or just a select few ? For instance,the oneS that you guys are just finishing up with were from what original series? TIA
The recently revisited spanned different families from 2006 up to 2008 I think and I'm pretty sure it didn't cover everyone from those years.
I suppose some don't want to do an update etc.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
LOL

I also think that regardless of how hot Australia gets once you've aclimatised it will then feel cold in winter although i've watched a couple of the QLD revisiteds and they were in summer stuff in winter lol

I dunno maybe some people are better suited to Dubai or sahara desert? does it cold there? LOL
That's why we're going there!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JenJen
The recently revisited spanned different families from 2006 up to 2008 I think and I'm pretty sure it didn't cover everyone from those years.
I suppose some don't want to do an update etc.
Thanks JenJen that helps.