Water Issues

Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:30 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Water Issues

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
In Australia, yes, but globally no. Overpopulation without adequate resources is a massive problem. It's hardly responsible to go and have 6 kids when the country is in drought and there isn't enough water to go around the existing populace.

And why should a large family have their water cheaper than a small one? If you use more water, you should pay more for the services you use.

S
It's not that they should have it cheaper it's just that these things are usually done on a property basis rather than a per head basis. Whatever the system it's sure to be unfair on someone.

Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:37 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Whatever the system it's sure to be unfair on someone.

I think that's a given!

S
Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:26 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Antney
We live in Brisbane and as most of you are I'm sure are aware, moved to Level Five restrictions yesterday.

My major concern is that the state government doesn't seem to be tackling the water issue with any real urgency, but just keeps asking everybody to use less.

I could just be being thick, but with the Wivenhoe Dam at only 15% it's enevitable that water is eventually going to run out.

What are then general thoughts on this and have any of the newly to arrive migrants considered this major issue?
Does seem very much a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. They still let loads of water run down those massive sluice ways into the see instead of making storage vats in the ground at the end that they could recycle. Councils don't seem to be making any move to try and make new houses put in anything more than small rain tanks and still are allowing town water to be used when you have 3 water saving devices which is a case of you've saved a bit so we'll let you waste some all very strange.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

In Australia, yes, but globally no. Overpopulation without adequate resources is a massive problem. It's hardly responsible to go and have 6 kids when the country is in drought and there isn't enough water to go around the existing populace.

And why should a large family have their water cheaper than a small one? If you use more water, you should pay more for the services you use.

S
Hang on a minute, did you not emmigrate to Australia. So its alright for us to come here and increase the population, but not alright for the Australians to have as many children they want.

Bit hypocritical.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joho
Hang on a minute, did you not emmigrate to Australia. So its alright for us to come here and increase the population, but not alright for the Australians to have as many children they want.

Bit hypocritical.
Difference being the govt doesn't pay us $4k per head to immigrate, whereas they are encouraing higher birth rates while still doing (it would seem) little or nothing about the higher water requirements this will produce. Of course if industry/agri DOES use 85%, then it's all a bit of a pointless debate anyway...
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
Difference being the govt doesn't pay us $4k per head to immigrate, whereas they are encouraing higher birth rates while still doing (it would seem) little or nothing about the higher water requirements this will produce. Of course if industry/agri DOES use 85%, then it's all a bit of a pointless debate anyway...
Why is that a difference. We dont have to move here its our choice.

And they dont get 50 quid a month per child in family allowance which soon adds up to the 1650 quid they get here for a child. The most you get here is something like $70 a fortnight if the woman is at home all the time. The rest is like the family tax credit or whatever its called now.

Jo
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Why is that a difference. We dont have to move here its our choice.

Jo
Er, because paying people $4k to have a child is different to not paying people $4k per head to immigrate? Sorry, not sure which bit of that you didn't get...

I agree it's our choice to move here, but don't see the relevance of that to the issue.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:15 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make. The government are trying to encourage population growth and expansion, but are making no provision for sustainable infrastructure to support it.

S
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Er, because paying people $4k to have a child is different to not paying people $4k per head to immigrate? Sorry, not sure which bit of that you didn't get...

I agree it's our choice to move here, but don't see the relevance of that to the issue.
Bollocks. Letting people emmigrate is doing nothing for the population either. Why cant they look after there own. Even us immigrants are entitled to the 4k if we have children here.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bollocks. Letting people emmigrate is doing nothing for the population either. Why cant they look after there own. Even us immigrants are entitled to the 4k if we have children here.
I'm glad to see you can put together a reasoned argument there...
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:26 am
has lost The Game

Yes, but immigrants arn't effectively a drain on society for the first 15 years are they? The majority of immigrants come here with skills, knowlege and funding that can help to develop the country and its infrastructure.

Also, immigration/emmigration accounts for a very small domestic population change and causes no change in the global population - it's moving the existing people from place to place.

S
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm glad to see you can put together a reasoned argument there...
What has cash got to do with the rights of an Aussie to have 6 children versus a family of 6 emmigrating into the country. My point had nothing to do with money but to do with the population growth. Letting people into a drought ridden country is no different from a children being born to australian family.

If you read swerv-o post that I replied to, we were debating the point I have raised not your point.

Jo

Last edited by joho; Apr 11th 2007 at 9:28 am. Reason: sorry swerv wrong name.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, but immigrants arn't effectively a drain on society for the first 15 years are they? The majority of immigrants come here with skills, knowlege and funding that can help to develop the country and its infrastructure.

Also, immigration/emmigration accounts for a very small domestic population change and causes no change in the global population - it's moving the existing people from place to place.

S
With children.

Jo
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

What has cash got to do with the rights of an Aussie to have 6 children versus a family of 6 emmigrating into the country. My point had nothing to do with money but to do with the population growth. Letting people into a drought ridden country is no different from a children being born to australian family.

If you read swerv-o post that I replied to, we were debating the point I have raised not your point.

Jo
Sorry, I didn't realise this was a single point thread.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

With children.

Jo
Look dont get me wrong, I think the government arent doing enough for the water crisis. As I have stated before we are on level 4 here, but I have water tanks connected to my washing machine and 3 toilets and also have bore water and timers in all my showers.

I cant believe all the rain water goes down the drains to nowhere, its criminal.

I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.