Water Issues

Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:25 am

aliread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Water Issues

The bit that never seems to amaze me is that i live in Cleveland (25k's From Brisbane CBD) and we are on level 2
I can still wash my car with a hose. And fill the pool without water saving devices. And hose the garden every other day.
Also was talking to a counciler the other day that said Redland Council is on level 2 as a token , and does not really need it. We are pouring water into the sea because we have too much. Our water comes from Straddy and it is over flowing at the moment.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:46 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Regarding your second point;
I edited my first post to remove the figures I'd found for water consumption by industry as the website I found them on is no longer functioning. Approximate figures were however that private consumption of the potable supply were only a mere 15% of the actual water supplies the rest a massive 85% were used by industry. That seems to me to be a very high almost inconceivable figure hence my reluctance to post. I'll do some more digging around to see just how accurate the claim is.
Ms Nosworthy, the Queensland Water Commissioner seems to think
"Households consume 70 per cent of the region's water". So poles apart from your figures. Sourced from the Courier Mail, that bastion of truthful reporting, but unfortunately, the only paper we've got.

Jane
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:17 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside to this I've just come back home from downtown and the road is up just short of Mona Vale where part of the carriageway has collapsed downwards... again... This last happened no more than a couple of months ago and again it has burst a water mains which is now happily pumping huge quantities of water out onto the road for 50 metres before it disappears down a storm drain...
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:24 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't hate me BUT.... We've just paid $30,000 for a pool to be built that was supposed to have been finished ages ago but will finally be finished tomorrow. ( tradies here aren't very reliable). The quandry now is that we will have to buy water to fill it. Does anyone know where we can buy the water?
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:34 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Ms Nosworthy, the Queensland Water Commissioner seems to think
"Households consume 70 per cent of the region's water". So poles apart from your figures. Sourced from the Courier Mail, that bastion of truthful reporting, but unfortunately, the only paper we've got.

Jane
That's a lot closer to the figures I would have guessed at. Much more believable
For the life of me I can't think what kind of industry could possibly use so much water here in Brisbane..............then I thought of Fourex ; it's just like making love in a canoe......................
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:37 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meelie
Don't hate me BUT.... We've just paid $30,000 for a pool to be built that was supposed to have been finished ages ago but will finally be finished tomorrow. ( tradies here aren't very reliable). The quandry now is that we will have to buy water to fill it. Does anyone know where we can buy the water?
There's a company advertising deliveries to Brissie from Caloundra check out the white pages for "water carriers" Cost expected to be in the region of 4k for the average pool
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:39 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I was just going to reply to your PM! We used Brookfield Water to part fill ours. They're in the White Pages. However, the pool filling restrictions don't come into effect until July, and this guy just goes to the nearest fire hydrant anyways so, for now, he's using town water, same as you would if you used a hosepipe!

Jane
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

That's a lot closer to the figures I would have guessed at. Much more believable
For the life of me I can't think what kind of industry could possibly use so much water here in Brisbane..............then I thought of Fourex ; it's just like making love in a canoe......................
Agriculture in the 85%/15% is classified as industry.

I work in industry and both water and waste water charges here in SA are ridiculously low. (This is the dryiest state in Oz).

Industry is using huge amounts of water and there is no financial incentives to reduce this.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:43 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Some local fire services offer this for a fee I am given to understand also.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:46 am
Born to be ignored

Today's Courier Mail has a story about a report commissioned by Mr Beattie which recommends building the worlds biggest desalination plant on Bribie Island. The same Bribie that is currently attracting incomers by stating "85% national park, so you can never be built out!". How happy are they going to be? He's also just commissioned another $7m report into whether cloud seeding will work. You can't say he's not trying, he's just left it too late.

Jane
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:49 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps somebody should explain the theory of pissing in the wind to Pete? as long as he does it over the dams!!!

Today's Courier Mail has a story about a report commissioned by Mr Beattie which recommends building the worlds biggest desalination plant on Bribie Island. The same Bribie that is currently attracting incomers by stating "85% national park, so you can never be built out!". How happy are they going to be? He's also just commissioned another $7m report into whether cloud seeding will work. You can't say he's not trying, he's just left it too late.

Jane
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:53 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Perhaps somebody should explain the theory of pissing in the wind to Pete? as long as he does it over the dams!!!
Yes. Cloud seeding FFS. That only works in damp, mountainous environments, like Wales - usually the places that have an abundance of natural rain anyway.

Like Wales.

S
Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, it seems you might be ok. Whilst under level 5, filling new pools from town water is not permitted, having read the rules again, if you have entered into a written and binding contract prior to 10 April for the construction of a pool, then you should be able to fill it with town water. If not, then the water has to be brought in from areas outside level 5.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:19 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chels
1. Encourage people to reuse, recycle and save water by increasing grants for water tanks, grey water systems, dual flush converters etc.
2. Incentivise businesses to use water more efficiently
3. Insist that all new homes and bathroom / kitchen renovations install water efficient devices
4. Actually carry out enforcement measures / fines (and maybe publish offenders details in the local papers to shame them?)
5. Lead by example, and install water efficient devices and encourage water saving and reuse in government buildings, schools, hospitals, social housing etc.
6. And the biggie - increase water prices (eg staggered pricing systems so heavy water users pay more).

Along with the Federal government, the state governments should be working together to tackle the issue on a national basis so that areas with water shortages get the water they need, and areas with plenty of water don't get penalised.

I'm in favour of introducing water recyling nationally, improving the storm water drain systems, building dams in areas where the rain falls, but all this will cost money and will Australian taxpayers be prepared to pay extra taxes to pay for all new infrastructure and remedial work on current systems?
All 6 of those points are happening to some degree where I live, which is good for the future, but has not created any water to solve the immediate problem.

I guess some people (not you specifically) wont be happy until the government has authorised the use of the magic wand

Last edited by MartinLuther; Apr 11th 2007 at 6:22 am.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:27 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Back when the Gold Coast was in drought, a pipeline was built from Wivenhoe so that the Gold Coast had water. Wouldn't you have thought they would have had the foresight to make it 2 way? Apparantly we're still sending water down your way because of contractual obligations from back then!

Jane
Sounds like the UK in 1976. Welsh Water was running out of the wet stuff while Birmingham had an abundant supply from their dam in Wales.

Just for the record I couldn't see a problem with the Brummies having the water as it was their water authority that built the dam. Welsh Water needed their bums kicked. How can you run short of water in a country so wet and with such a small population.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.