Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under starts again...

Wanted Down Under starts again...

Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all
Default Re: Wanted Down Under starts again...

Originally Posted by mattbenecci
Hi Ant

I got all excited then!

Went to view the programme as you suggested, but not able to as notice comes up 'this programme is unavailable' Did you actually get to see it? I think it was prepared for I player but not able to be viewed. If anybody saw it can they let me know!!!!! I did see the trailer - some serious out of context editing going on!!

Simon - Wells family
Lol. Mat there was one section in our programme that was totally as you describe out of context editing .

They showed a clip of my misses struggling with her large suitcase walking into her mums house ( where we were staying ) . They then showed a clip of me sipping a beer in the same houses' garden ( taken later in the day! ) and put it all to a clip of David Byrnes ' I'm Wicked but I'm Lazy ' !!
Quite funny but totally not how it happened . Be prepared

Last edited by Davesax; Jan 15th 2011 at 8:31 am.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 457 Temporary Visa requirements and restrictions

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am sorry but you are incorrect on house buying issue. We purchased a house on a 457 visa. It is straight forward and you don't even need FIRB approval now.
Thanks for that info, will look into it but had been informed by Real Estate here of FIRB. Would you mind letting us know when you bought your house please so we can look further into it.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:43 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Temporary Visa requirements and restrictions

Originally Posted by Jenny Hughes
Thanks for that info, will look into it but had been informed by Real Estate here of FIRB. Would you mind letting us know when you bought your house please so we can look further into it.

Many thanks.
Bought our house in 2006. FIRB approval was required but it was straight forward and a formality really. Our Real Estate Agent dealt with it all for us. I have done a bit of research and it seems that they amended the regulations a few years ago and FIRB approval was no longer required. It also appears to have changed back and FIRB approval is now required for house purchase. No need to worry as it was all really easy.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

See here for FIRB rules on "second hand" homes and here for more general information.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
See here for FIRB rules on "second hand" homes and here for more general information.
Thank you so much Louie, I couldn't find that when I was looking.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Thursdays episode was funny especially the section with the valuation of their UK property.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by isgraham
Thursdays episode was funny especially the section with the valuation of their UK property.
Not funny for them but I have to admit we both laughed when we saw the look on their faces. The whole episode was built up to that moment though.

It must have have been an awful shock but they would never have got 800k even at the height of the market for that so really don't understand their thinking.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about
Smile 457 Temporary Visa requirements and restrictions

Originally Posted by northernbird
Thank you so much Louie, I couldn't find that when I was looking.
Thank you to both of you for all your help and I'm sure it will help others too.

Jenny
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

I did'nt see the programme but how much was the house valued at? Oh Will the Mags win on Sunday!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:09 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
Not funny for them but I have to admit we both laughed when we saw the look on their faces. The whole episode was built up to that moment though.

It must have have been an awful shock but they would never have got 800k even at the height of the market for that so really don't understand their thinking.
Have to admit that we were killing ourselves at these two as well...£800K??? What were they on?!

Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
I did'nt see the programme but how much was the house valued at? Oh Will the Mags win on Sunday!!!!
£400k

And no they didn't
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Just watched todays episode - was wondering where they are getting the prices for the shopping from £8.53 for 6 pints of milk
In a panic checked coles website and 3l about $3.40/£2.20
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:45 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

This programme is really taking the mick this year...every couple so far, the man has been up for moving, the woman 'who still lives in her tiny home town and is very close to her mother' bawls for the whole thing, can't possibly consider moving, is really struggling blah blah...then votes to move at the end anyway. Wtf?!

In the initial interviews the women are all ironing...ALL of them! And Nicki Chapman has clearly decided that we're all a bit S-L-O-W and talks like she's waiting for the Sunshine bus to come and collect us (and bring us all to Melbourse...evidently the only city in Australia...)

The husband is now refusing to watch it (can't say I blame him) and I'm only watching the homes bit, to see what will be well outside our budget whem we move

Tx
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Totally agree, although I'd say that Adelaide has been visited the most in this series.

On todays, they looked around a house in Seaford Meadows a few houses away from my cousin's house.

I don't agree with the way that they work out all expenses on the exchange rate - especially bills and shopping. Fair enough you work on the exchange rate for bringing over a lump of savings, but once you're there and working, the price of a lettuce comparative to the UK on the current exchange rate is silly.

Oh, and I hate that Nicky Chapman woman. She talks so slow, and exaggerates everything.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't like this programme. Thought I would watch it (having lived in Aus for a decade) and see why everyone raves.

The presenter is awful and tries to make a drama out of a cup of tea. And how can anyone make such a huge decision based on less than a week to look at houses, schools, jobs, cost of living etc. Surely most people do heaps more research (although generally on the internet).

I prefer Phil Relocation Down Under.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.