Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under starts again...

Wanted Down Under starts again...

Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all
Default Re: Wanted Down Under starts again...

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good on you, where did you go? I don't know who 'nicky' is, I'd better Google. Actually, I'd better go to bed, I'll google in the morning.
Brisbane ( Redlands ) Nicky Chapman is Matt Lucas from Little Britain (in drag) and yes........get to bed!

Simon x
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steen1976
Looking forward to it mate. Won't see it till Friday night though but. sky+ them while I'm at graft.

Rental options really need to be looked at in this. Anyone moving out would be mad to jump straight into a purchase now - in my opinion of course. Rent and pay way less than the interest on a mortgage while you test the waters. The dip may even just be around the corner too.
My wife only wants to know if her bum looks big in this! Sod the outcome and fall out.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mattbenecci
My wife only wants to know if her bum looks big in this! Sod the outcome and fall out.
Ha ha. Will you accept opinions from viewers on this?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steen1976
Ha ha. Will you accept opinions from viewers on this?
What I will do is watch the show and then never look at another forum ever again from that point lol! Its all new to us as well, we dont get a preview except the F& F video which we were filmed with - haven't a clue how it will pan out. I hope they don't show the bit where I bungey jumped naked with two Ice Cream cones covering important places yelling ...''and my decision is''....
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Like the comments!!

If you can keep going till Friday ( and I dont blame you in the slightest if you dont) that programme may throw up a different slant:

Businessman not seeking employment but business relocation - not seen I don't think before. Professional background to work if business doesn't make it.

Children 3 & 8 - no boyfriends/Girlfriends that I know of.

Living in South East England - house sold - but sensibly renting till move and wanting to rent when out in OZ - so you will see rental options - thats new!!

Not Adelaide - phew!

Wife hates her parents! Has no mates and doesnt give a toffee if they care. kids prefer munching on sweets to crying at tv!! (that might be a lie).

Beach people moving to a coast location

Been there before heaps, so all research done. Certainly aware that it is pricey and getting worse for a relocation.

I cant promise the editing wont be against us, but we gave it our best shot and tried to break free from the shackles. Didn't meet Nicky, but nobody has.

Now Ive said all this, I bet its the worst of the lot lol

Hi

Look forward to it , which part of S.E are you from ? We're moving out next month from Ipswich /Colchester .

If you don't mind me asking what stage are you at with your visa and which one? It always gets us how the visa situation is very rarely mentioned - the very thing that actually might help people .
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

GeordieGeek will become famous soon enoughGeordieGeek will become famous soon enough

Great thread all.

That presenter has the easiest job in TV - read off formulaic scripts in the same location without having to bother speaking to the families she is talking about!

I am about 4 behind (I actually work at 9am here in UK) but looking forward to the one where someone tries to move a business across.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Davesax
Hi

Look forward to it , which part of S.E are you from ? We're moving out next month from Ipswich /Colchester .

If you don't mind me asking what stage are you at with your visa and which one? It always gets us how the visa situation is very rarely mentioned - the very thing that actually might help people .
Hi Dave

Down near Brighton. Its by the Downs but its still bleak!!

Visa declined April 2010 invited to re-apply April 2011. We were borderline on turnover required even though we had enough capital to get in. Its all about shifting goalposts and £ collapsing against the $ as the required turnover is rated in AU$. The more the £ goes down, the more our turnover has to increase! Our business has the relocations and positions all waiting ready for us and is wanted is Australia - we just were not allowed to be with it - crazy but true. Business Visas are a completely different kettle to other types - its all about what money you have and make in the UK.#

Cheers

Simon
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Brisbane ( Redlands ) Nicky Chapman is Matt Lucas from Little Britain (in drag) and yes........get to bed!

Simon x
I'm really looking forward to your show Simon - just to heap on more pressure We will definitely be renting when we move out so good to hear that your story will feature rental options for a change. I didn't realise that you didn't get a preview of the entire edited version prior to airing - you must be excited/terrified to see it on Friday! Hope you're happy with the final outcome and that things work out with your visa application.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mazza12
I'm really looking forward to your show Simon - just to heap on more pressure We will definitely be renting when we move out so good to hear that your story will feature rental options for a change. I didn't realise that you didn't get a preview of the entire edited version prior to airing - you must be excited/terrified to see it on Friday! Hope you're happy with the final outcome and that things work out with your visa application.
Thank you Mazza

Its feels like a birthday when you are a child kinda feeling. Still cant believe that we went and did the show. I hope it gives a few different angles and I hope that it is sensibly edited! 10 days filming into 45 mins is a worry!

Simon
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Best of luck with reapplying Simon- i'm no expert but hopefully the exchange rate has to improve
We were on another programme and I don't think i've watched it all the way through It was quite funny how they edited it for etertainment .

Cheers
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all

Hi Dave

Down near Brighton. Its by the Downs but its still bleak!!

Visa declined April 2010 invited to re-apply April 2011. We were borderline on turnover required even though we had enough capital to get in. Its all about shifting goalposts and £ collapsing against the $ as the required turnover is rated in AU$. The more the £ goes down, the more our turnover has to increase! Our business has the relocations and positions all waiting ready for us and is wanted is Australia - we just were not allowed to be with it - crazy but true. Business Visas are a completely different kettle to other types - its all about what money you have and make in the UK.#

Cheers

Simon
We are from Brighton and off in a couple of months to where you were filming, so we will watch with interest!
Good luck!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Brisbane Floods - WDU programme resheduled

Hello all

Just received a phone call from the BBC who have informed us that they have pulled all the future Queensland episodes of Wanted Down Under from the schedules due to the floods and deaths rising in that area.

Our show which was due for airing tomorrow has been rescheduled for 28th - last day of the current series. Other families will have the same situation. The TV listings now do not count as they are swapping programmes about.

The BBC said that it would be very bad taste to air this holiday area given the recent tragedy.

We may have done the show for nothing!! Unless a big improvement. A little gutted!

Simon - Wells family
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brisbane Floods - WDU programme resheduled

Hello all

Just received a phone call from the BBC who have informed us that they have pulled all the future Queensland episodes of Wanted Down Under from the schedules due to the floods and deaths rising in that area.

Our show which was due for airing tomorrow has been rescheduled for 28th - last day of the current series. Other families will have the same situation. The TV listings now do not count as they are swapping programmes about.

The BBC said that it would be very bad taste to air this holiday area given the recent tragedy.

We may have done the show for nothing!! Unless a big improvement. A little gutted!

Simon - Wells family
That's a shame, Simon. I get where they're coming from but I'd have thought that Queenslanders would want people to still consider the area. The cleanup will soon begin and a dip in tourism/immigration would be pretty damaging. Of course a daytime tv show won't single-handedly affect these things but everything adds up.

In my experience Aussies are very practical people (alright, massive generalisation but there it is) and would want their area showcased to skilled people who are considering a move. But of course the production company don't want to be accused of insensitivity and I get that too. I hope the eps get shown, please keep us updated!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

MissyB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeordieGeek

That presenter has the easiest job in TV - read off formulaic scripts in the same location without having to bother speaking to the families she is talking about!
I agree, much preferred it when Nadia Sawalha was the presenter.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:11 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I think the format is better now.

They are filming Australian summer /UK winter which makes Australia a lot more appealing. In previous series' you'd see people in the sun in the UK and then in fleeces in Aus

They are looking more at cost of living now. It's funny though - a few family's have decided cost of living is more expensive in Aus, but when the time came to vote on COL -they voted Aus

Today's programme said it was a change to the originally advertised show, so I'm assuming they were going to show Brisbane originally but decided in light of the floods they had better not, and showed Melbourne instead.

Edit: Just seen mattbenecci's post re: Brisbane. I think they could still show Brisbane at the end of the series but maybe mention the floods and perhaps show a number for donations of money.

Last edited by Kapri; Jan 13th 2011 at 10:15 pm. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.