Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted down under - bricklayers

Wanted down under - bricklayers

Old Feb 17th 2007, 12:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Wanted down under - bricklayers

Originally Posted by ohippy
I've been watching this thread with interest - it rears it's head every now and again with the same old stuff, someone knows someone who earns mega bucks a day for only a couple of hours work and long lunch breaks.
I've read this thread twice, and haven't seen a single post in which anyone claims that you can earn "mega bucks a day for only a couple of hours work and long lunch breaks". Are you sure you've got the right thread?

Truth ? You can earn from $290 - $310 approx on day work which is generally what you'll start on. When you get on price (complete with your ute, trailer and full set of tools incl cement mixer etc) you would be looking at $2500 per week before tax. It is good money compared to other wages in Oz but it aint easy. Hubby starts at 6am but finishes by 3/3.30 as it's knackering in the heat and with the flys. You'll need your green card too to work since January.
$2,500 per week gross is very good money indeed. That's $10,000 gross per month; at least gross 100,000 per year; twice the average Australian salary. I'd call that "mega bucks", particularly when compared to what most ex-pats will be earning.

Hard work? Sure. But hey, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

If anyone can earn $4500 or more a week, I'd love to see how.
You're the first person on this thread to say anything about earning $4,500 a week.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted down under - bricklayers

my calcs say that 600 bricks a day at $1.5 a brick is $4500 a week but I'm happy if you can prove me wrong
Old Feb 17th 2007, 4:31 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
I've been watching this thread with interest - it rears it's head every now and again with the same old stuff, someone knows someone who earns mega bucks a day for only a couple of hours work and long lunch breaks.

Truth ? You can earn from $290 - $310 approx on day work which is generally what you'll start on. When you get on price (complete with your ute, trailer and full set of tools incl cement mixer etc) you would be looking at $2500 per week before tax. It is good money compared to other wages in Oz but it aint easy. Hubby starts at 6am but finishes by 3/3.30 as it's knackering in the heat and with the flys. You'll need your green card too to work since January.

If anyone can earn $4500 or more a week, I'd love to see how.

thanks for that ,i worked my finances out yesterday after taking a lot of advise from people on here,,it just so happens that one weeks wages would nearly cover my outgoing for the month..
thats quite an insentive to move to the other side of the world,,it also means we will be out twice a week.a luxury that many can not afford here..
thats with out the wife working as well..

how long did your husband stay on for a subby before moving on for himself?i believe that its more or less the same cavity work as here,are there any differences..

would you ask your husband if he could let me know if you can get profiles as good as blakes out there,or should i bring my own?should i bring a mixer ?there £250 here for a belle.

is that going like a madman,or a nice steady pace for 8 hours..?

jeez it may be time to take it easy for the first 25 years..

thanks for your time.

ast

p.s if your hubby wants anything bringing over and i can get it in my container give me a shout.

Last edited by aston man; Feb 17th 2007 at 4:48 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

$2,500 per week gross is very good money indeed. That's $10,000 gross per month; at least gross 100,000 per year; twice the average Australian salary. I'd call that "mega bucks", particularly when compared to what most ex-pats will be earning.
$2500 a week would be working as a subcontactor, first you need a constant supply of builders to give you the continuitiy of work. Then you have your overheads, petrol, truck, equipment, insurances, the cost of supplies to lay the bricks, plus many subbies on that money are paying a apprentice/labourer out of that. Plus your not going to get sick pay, holiday pay or even superannuation, all come out of that rate. Then deduct income tax and GST.

Its not mega bucks once you take that lot out.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
thanks for that ,i worked my finances out yesterday after taking a lot of advise from people on here,,it just so happens that one weeks wages would nearly cover my outgoing for the month..
thats quite an insentive to move to the other side of the world,,it also means we will be out twice a week.a luxury that many can not afford here..
thats with out the wife working as well..

how long did your husband stay on for a subby before moving on for himself?i believe that its more or less the same cavity work as here,are there any differences..

would you ask your husband if he could let me know if you can get profiles as good as blakes out there,or should i bring my own?should i bring a mixer ?there £250 here for a belle.

is that going like a madman,or a nice steady pace for 8 hours..?

jeez it may be time to take it easy for the first 25 years..

thanks for your time.

ast

p.s if your hubby wants anything bringing over and i can get it in my container give me a shout.
OH says Blakes won't be any good over here as it's a different guage and are awkward to set up. So unless you're a mathematical genius don't bother.
He says if you can get a Belle for 250 pounds then bring it and get one for him as that's really cheap, mixers here are $1,200 new !!
All tools are totally different, no marshall town jointers, barely use a hammer and bolster - all that's the same is that you run to a line and use a trowel. He say bring a stilh (sp) petrol cutter if you can as they are a handy piece of kit but very expensive here.

No insulation in cavities used here and a liquid damp course is used which is put in the 'mud' (muck). It is a totally different way of building but is easy enough to pick up. OH worked with a gang for a couple of months before teaming up with a UK brickie who'd been here a while, but if you're going out completely on your own or teaming up with another newbie you'd probably need to work with another gang for a bit longer than that.

BTW, he does work flat out for that money but it's obviously an average some weeks much better, some worse depending on the stage.

Sick pay, holiday pay, super etc is the same as the UK - none so no change there. He no longer works weekends though and finishes Friday lunchtime which is all good. He does have a labourer but lays much more that way and the guy pays for himself as they should. No shortgage of work, he works for Dale Alcock now but worked for En vogue before but they had a delay in bricks so just moved on, easy done, works a plenty.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Hi Aston

I am also a brickie and was just wandering if the tools that you are taking over are all brand new? Was going to take disc cutter but heard somewhere that you have to get all tools professionally cleaned!

Good idea about us brickies keeping in touch. Nice to have someone on the other side to report back to us on what to expect when we get there (if we get there)!

Cheers

Marc
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

colin05 will become famous soon enoughcolin05 will become famous soon enough

hi from colin +carole wee are heading to perth w.a. in june july 07. im a brickie ,carole is a n aromatherapist .were from sunny fife we have a ten year old laddie .(mad on soccer) any good advice welcome please. cheers
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
After spending a whole week unable to work because of bad temperature in Scotland , at least got the chance to watch Wanted Down Under this morning - in Perth and it was about bricklaying (my trade).

Did anyone see it???? Cant wait to get there - good opportunities, good wages.

It looks fab!

Laura and Gordon (be there July!)
when are yez thinking of going to perth?my family are going july 07.expect to start on 300 bucks a day until ye ken what yer doing.im a brickie fae fife soon perth
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys

It is Perth that we are going to - heard the cash is much better than anywhere else in Oz.

Can any bricklayers from Perth confirm this??????

Gordon
i was out in perth last october .theres loads o work .the daily rate is aboot 300 bucks a day no so good in comparison to scotland but hey wheres the sun
Old Feb 21st 2007, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by billybaba
All us brickies should keep in touch so we know where the work is when we get there if any of you know of employers that will sponsor qualified brickies from uk give us a shout am desperate to go,especially to get away from this freezin scottish weather for once and all- Billy
allright baba ?im colin 05 and heading out to perth in july .im a brickie from dunfermline(nae mickey please) get in touch bud
Old Feb 21st 2007, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

billybaba is an unknown quantity at this point

How you doin colin,as long as you dont support the pars ill keep in touch pmsl
where in perth u off to? im jst gettin stuff together for TRA so at least ive got it should anythin come up
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by colin05
when are yez thinking of going to perth?my family are going july 07.expect to start on 300 bucks a day until ye ken what yer doing.im a brickie fae fife soon perth
im ALSO GOING OUT IN JULY 07 HOPE TO DO DAY WORKS FOR 3 MONTH THEN GET ON A PRICE AS SOON AS $300 A DAY COMES IN AT $37 AN HOUR $1 PER BRICK YOU CAN PUT DOWN A LOT MORE THAN 37 IN A HOUR
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by billybaba
How you doin colin,as long as you dont support the pars ill keep in touch pmsl
where in perth u off to? im jst gettin stuff together for TRA so at least ive got it should anythin come up
aye a pars fan 4 my sins.....were going to north o the river (loads o scots there) good luck with t r a .its some hassle getting all you need to suit them but worth it .whats yer team ?
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

billybaba is an unknown quantity at this point

Am a Teddy Ber thru an thru colin and we wont mention the game a few weeks ago lol, we didnt get started this mornin cause o the rain on facing brick so no point in buildin it in this weather so am home to write a reference for my employer so he can put it onto his letterheaded paper for me
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:46 am
Just Joined

im ALSO GOING OUT IN JULY 07 HOPE TO DO DAY WORKS FOR 3 MONTH THEN GET ON A PRICE AS SOON AS $300 A DAY COMES IN AT $37 AN HOUR $1 PER BRICK YOU CAN PUT DOWN A LOT MORE THAN 37 IN A HOUR
what part of perth you going to?we are going north o river .have you got work lined up yet? the west australian paper has jobs onwednesdays .like daily record but tons more . mandurah has got plenty work too and 350 bucks a day.ive been advised to take out mixer and stihl saw; are ye rained off today ?pelting doon here. cheers colin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.