Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under 2010

Wanted Down Under 2010

Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wanted Down Under 2010

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yesterdays were nice family. I thought the woman the day before was in cloud cukoo land, 4 bed 2 bath house with swimming pool on a budget of £200k or something and an income of £25! Also very odd that she aspired to her husband not needing to work and live on her salary. I have the opposite hope :-)

I am finding it a bit samey now. It is like watching the same program every day. And why are they all low income families, I don't think I have seen any expect an income over £30k yet! It would be nice if they had used a more diverse group of families or even couples.
I agree - what a lovely family. I was all teary when the brother was crying and the other brother put his arm around him and went and got him some tissue - bless him! What a lovely, unassuming family.

As you say though, lets have a little more diversity with the families ;-)
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:32 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to apply to present WDU next year. Only requirements seem to be:

Purchase 4 dresses and a white and black top, wear repeatedly. Shoes not required.

Learn to say:

'Well that all looks very inviting'

'So, very different to their life back in the UK' and

'Will this throw the whole move into doubt?' with all the expression and interest of someone reading a recipe for porridge.

Find random houses well over participants budget and claim they are 'something to aspire to'.

Sorted! Easiest money every made and i can hang out with my family in Oz while I'm there.

Tx
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
I'm going to apply to present WDU next year. Only requirements seem to be:

Purchase 4 dresses and a white and black top, wear repeatedly. Shoes not required.

Learn to say:

'Well that all looks very inviting'

'So, very different to their life back in the UK' and

'Will this throw the whole move into doubt?' with all the expression and interest of someone reading a recipe for porridge.

Find random houses well over participants budget and claim they are 'something to aspire to'.

Sorted! Easiest money every made and i can hang out with my family in Oz while I'm there.

Tx
I'd do Nicki Chapman.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice
Talking Re: Wanted Down Under 2010

RedT totally agree on that one...... you never know she could be presenting it in a cold warehouse in London somewhere and that beautiful background is nothing but a blue screen LOL .... hmm maybe not!

Yeah variety would be nice on this programme, there seems to be loads of families on it this year, but what about the couples!!!

To be honest they are being paid to make a programme thats entertaining and pulls at the heart strings, so in reality would they really choose one of us lot to go on it.......a family or couple that are in the process of getting a visa, who want to seriously go......I suppose it wouldnt be good tv if both people said, yeah we love Oz, we are going and we aint going to cry over the F&F as everyone knows were making the move....and we aint going to argue in front of the camera crew as it's what we both want. They don't want people on there like that, they want mixed views, emotions and kids who tell there parents they're not moving! ....Lets hope that new programme on channel 4 is more informative

Right, I'm off to fill out my job application for WDU presenter
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:19 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BonnieH
RedT totally agree on that one...... you never know she could be presenting it in a cold warehouse in London somewhere and that beautiful background is nothing but a blue screen LOL .... hmm maybe not!

Yeah variety would be nice on this programme, there seems to be loads of families on it this year, but what about the couples!!!

To be honest they are being paid to make a programme thats entertaining and pulls at the heart strings, so in reality would they really choose one of us lot to go on it.......a family or couple that are in the process of getting a visa, who want to seriously go......I suppose it wouldnt be good tv if both people said, yeah we love Oz, we are going and we aint going to cry over the F&F as everyone knows were making the move....and we aint going to argue in front of the camera crew as it's what we both want. They don't want people on there like that, they want mixed views, emotions and kids who tell there parents they're not moving! ....Lets hope that new programme on channel 4 is more informative

What's the new programme on C4? Must get my CV up to date....

Tx
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

I don't know, look at all the drama with DIAC changing rules and requirements every few months/weeks.

The excitement of formfilling, the ruthlessness of trying to find a cheap solicitor to verify documents, the wondering if something shows up in the medicals!!

Plenty of cliffhanger endings

Pick 4 people who wish to go through the visa system and follow them from start to finish (of course that may be 2013).

It would be better than some stuff on TV at the mo.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
What's the new programme on C4? Must get my CV up to date....

Tx
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/r...es-1/episode-1
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:21 am
not sure...

Smashing! Something else to make my husband watch just to torment him Hopefully this one will be slightly more realisitic, he refuses to watch WDU now and all he sees are the houses which I show him in the evening after he's been fed (and therefore he's more pliable). Thank the lord for Sky+!

Tx
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:23 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Wasn't todays WDU fab. I'm seriously considering CAIRNS. I want to work at Cairns base hospital on "tropical shirt friday".
Easily impressed me!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Anyone notice that none of the families ask "where can I buy fish n chips or a decent curry?"

Is it edited out or do these become pressing questions when one becomes an expat?

I did my homework, I know where I can get Tayto crisps in Melbourne ($2.50 a bag!!)

Maybe instead of inviting friends round for a barbie, expats invite everyone round for a curry night instead

Just wait and watch it will be mentioned in one programme at least and maybe curry instead of steak and prawns.

Jane
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:02 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyx
Wasn't todays WDU fab. I'm seriously considering CAIRNS. I want to work at Cairns base hospital on "tropical shirt friday".
Easily impressed me!
Yes it was a good episode. And what a great view from the hospital ward! The husband had a bit of a hard time with the boss at the restaurant though. That part put my hackles up actually . The second house looked great .

Also, something which has changed in the format of this latest series is the presenter is never seen with the family. I reckon she only does one trip to Aus with her three frocks and records the commentary for all of the episodes in just a few "shoots". And the editors reuse a lot of her comments.

Last edited by paulry; Jan 14th 2010 at 11:07 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

........ Right, I'm off to fill out my job application for WDU presenter
Good idea, no qualifications needed but you do have to evoke the following response from the average male viewer

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'd do Nicki Chapman.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertC
Good idea, no qualifications needed but you do have to evoke the following response from the average male viewer
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely family yesterday, but what an arse of a chef - I felt so sorry for the chap. Given that he admitted he hadn't worked in the kitchen for a few years, I think it was all a bit harsh. Having done waitress work in the past, and therefore seeing kitchens in all their glory, it didn't surprise me that the only work snapshot on this programme I've seen where the boss was downright rude was in that environment. I know they are stressful places, but trying to bring someone down in front of the cameras is plain rude. Loved the second house and it was obvious to me early on that they would vote to go. I really felt for the girl though, it's a lot for a teen to take on board and credit to her for voting as she did.

The format this time is pants in my opinion and Nicky Chapman isn't adding anything to the mix, especially changing "the all-important" prefix to everything ie, all-important barbie, all-important pool, etc. Apart from that I'm enjoying the series and I think the families have so far been really nice.

Good luck to them.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'd do Nicki Chapman.
But would she say "Well that all looks very inviting"

Where would she prefer, the city,coast or country....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.