Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Want to move back to Aus

Want to move back to Aus

Old May 17th 2021, 11:17 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to Aus

Originally Posted by the troubadour
London is not the relaxed place it once was where a young Aussie could still experience the vibe, sights and sound even if living twenty Colonials to a household, doing what ever job they could find. Bar tending was one as it provided accommodation and was a big pull for young Aussies and Kiwi's. Not so today. I suppose far less pubs, but a different type of Australian going over these days in reduced numbers. They expect to earn well and are university educated for a large part. So it's not a case of London being more than Aussie bar tenders at all. The entire focus has changed. Many that would have once gone to London, now just as likely to go to Canada.

But onto topic. Australia has changed a lot as well. Very far removed from the country of the nineties. Now among the most expensive in the world . Definitely something that requires careful consideration as to the validity of moving from UK these days. If one is doing well over there seems very much tempting fate and attempt to recreate the same success in Australia. There was a time, when it could be almost guaranteed. A lot more luck required these days. I'd say you should be close to owning own home as well to escape a mouth watering debt , if wanting to live in a more desirable suburb.
That's a good point in terms of things being expensive but that is UK wide, IMO. When we moved over here in 2010 we were shocked at the prices of things here compared with the UK like a basket of goods, But things sorted themselves out once we began work because the wages were higher. Fast forward 8 years from moving here and on a trip to the UK the prices there have shot up - but not the wages from what I could tell - they looked to be not much more than when we left.
Old May 17th 2021, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Fast forward 8 years from moving here and on a trip to the UK the prices there have shot up
Every time I go back to the UK I am amazed at how inexpensive it is compared to here.
Old May 17th 2021, 1:17 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Every time I go back to the UK I am amazed at how inexpensive it is compared to here.
Definitely much cheaper for services. I didn't spend a lot of time shopping, but a basket or trolley full of goods seemed to be a fair bit more expensive than it used to be.
Old May 17th 2021, 1:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

After my 3 year stint in NW England, I came to the conclusion that there's not a great deal between there and Perth for day to day goods and services.

Significantly cheaper in the UK - fresh fruit and veg, pork, chicken, bread, household cleaning/personal care stuff and over the counter stuff medications. Also the cost of hiring tradespeople such as painter/decorators and builders.
Somewhat cheaper in the UK - pint of lager, in-home services such as cleaning, supply and installation of home improvements such as built-in wardrobes and flooring, good second hand vehicles.
Significantly more expensive in the UK - anything to do with pets, especially vet surgery fees. Fuel. Council tax (although that may be off-set by less government tax for some people). Natural gas for heating - we paid 3 times as much to heat our home there as we pay to air condition it here.

Just a few examples that come to mind, I haven't done an exhaustive analysis but it just seemed that in the end, day to day costs came out around the same.
Old May 17th 2021, 1:52 pm
Banned

On balance it's probably works out about the same. The price of petrol is great here compared with the UK. We have found that we're paying just a bit more in rates here than we would have been paying for our house in the UK, but income tax is lower and we always get a good chunk back come tax return time. Funny how some news and magazine articles claim we come out as the third highest tax payers in the world but they then say that when you factor in that we don't pay National Insurance here then that that bumps us out to position 25. So glad I gave up smoking within 6 weeks of moving here. I think a pack of 20 is about $40 now. I calculated a couple of years ago that a 20 a day smoker could afford a brand new Kia Picanto for the price of the cigarettes that they burn every year. A crap car but you get the point on the scale of what it costs to smoke here.
Old May 17th 2021, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

On balance it's probably works out about the same. The price of petrol is great here compared with the UK. We have found that we're paying just a bit more in rates here than we would have been paying for our house in the UK, but income tax is lower and we always get a good chunk back come tax return time. Funny how some news and magazine articles claim we come out as the third highest tax payers in the world but they then say that when you factor in that we don't pay National Insurance here then that that bumps us out to position 25. So glad I gave up smoking within 6 weeks of moving here. I think a pack of 20 is about $40 now. I calculated a couple of years ago that a 20 a day smoker could afford a brand new Kia Picanto for the price of the cigarettes that they burn every year. A crap car but you get the point on the scale of what it costs to smoke here.
I suppose different taxes suit different people. Many always moan about the high tax on alcohol/cigarettes but at least that gives you a choice and I'd rather have them tax alcohol before they tax more of my income.
I would also say that food costs, clothing costs are very similar and at the end of the day anyone can buy a cheap bag of rice, or look for a bargain online. The worst tax is property tax and the biggest expense for many these days is housing and kids (you don't have to have them:-). If your mortgage is 300 instead of 1500, then you won't mind paying a bit more for a pair of socks at the local shop.

Last edited by Moses2013; May 17th 2021 at 2:31 pm.
Old May 17th 2021, 3:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I suppose different taxes suit different people. Many always moan about the high tax on alcohol/cigarettes but at least that gives you a choice and I'd rather have them tax alcohol before they tax more of my income.
I would also say that food costs, clothing costs are very similar and at the end of the day anyone can buy a cheap bag of rice, or look for a bargain online. The worst tax is property tax and the biggest expense for many these days is housing and kids (you don't have to have them:-). If your mortgage is 300 instead of 1500, then you won't mind paying a bit more for a pair of socks at the local shop.
It's all swings and roundabouts, I suppose. Pay more on one thing and less on another. Talking of alcohol, wine is nice and cheap here (thanks to low taxes on it) and excellent quality, hard to beat.
Old May 17th 2021, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all swings and roundabouts, I suppose. Pay more on one thing and less on another. Talking of alcohol, wine is nice and cheap here (thanks to low taxes on it) and excellent quality, hard to beat.
We usually fill the boot on the way back from Spain to Ireland. I can imagine that they will probably reduce the amount you can bring back in the future but as it stands now 90 litres wine per person. Port another 20, so more than enough.
Old May 17th 2021, 10:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
We usually fill the boot on the way back from Spain to Ireland. I can imagine that they will probably reduce the amount you can bring back in the future but as it stands now 90 litres wine per person. Port another 20, so more than enough.
Ah, you're in Ireland

Wow, that's a lot of wine!

I remember doing the booze and fags cruise, taking the ferry from Dover to Calais. I suppose duty free shopping is back now that Brexit has happened. I wonder what what the duty free prices of things are on those ferries these days.

Old May 18th 2021, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It's all swings and roundabouts, I suppose. Pay more on one thing and less on another.
Yes. And how do you figure out where is expensive and where is not when exchange rates and local salaries come into play. It all swings and roundabouts as you say. 'Nuff said really.
Old May 19th 2021, 2:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience, there's not much in it - Australia probably a but more expensive overall

Incomes ARE, on average, higher here though
Old May 19th 2021, 2:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, you're in Ireland

Wow, that's a lot of wine!

I remember doing the booze and fags cruise, taking the ferry from Dover to Calais. I suppose duty free shopping is back now that Brexit has happened. I wonder what what the duty free prices of things are on those ferries these days.
We used to go 6-10 times a year via the tunnel. From my house in Surrey, driving to the terminal in Folkstone, driving onto the train to driving off in Calais - about 2 hours. We loved it. Find a nice place for lunch, go to the beach (they're much nicer on that side of the Channel), loads of shopping. We were renovating properties back then and I found that hardware, gear and tools were much cheaper, so spent a lot of time in Leyroy Merlin (their version of B&Q/Bunnings). Before my son arrived, we'd often stay a night too. The deals on the tunnel were great and we also had their version of frequent flyers, which also had loads of discounts.

What's the thing I miss most about the UK? France
Old May 19th 2021, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We used to go 6-10 times a year via the tunnel. From my house in Surrey, driving to the terminal in Folkstone, driving onto the train to driving off in Calais - about 2 hours. We loved it. Find a nice place for lunch, go to the beach (they're much nicer on that side of the Channel), loads of shopping. We were renovating properties back then and I found that hardware, gear and tools were much cheaper, so spent a lot of time in Leyroy Merlin (their version of B&Q/Bunnings). Before my son arrived, we'd often stay a night too. The deals on the tunnel were great and we also had their version of frequent flyers, which also had loads of discounts.

As a former inhabitant of France, no argument there. England is a wonderful country for long weekends, better music scene than Paris , but nice to return to France after getting a London spell out of the system. . Both have pro and con's but these days would prefer France far more, or even Rotterdam (very underrated city) than lingering too long in England.
Old May 19th 2021, 9:22 am
Banned

I used to hate that slip road in Calais where if you weren't paying very careful attention (which is very easy when you're concentrating on driving on the other side of the road, in the pre-satnav days, and without a good navigator), you would find yourself entering the motorway bound for Paris and would be forced to drive something like 25kms before you could turn off and travel back the other way. That happened to me twice over the years!
Old May 19th 2021, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It certainly is an advantage and the whole area around Dover/Folkstone is a mess although even Calais felt a bit depressing. The beaches further out from Calais are good and the town centre wasn't too bad but some very ugly parts on the outskirts and the migrant crisis probably didn't help. It's been a while since I was there though and I must admit that I often try to get through France as quickly as possible. We usually arrive in Cherbourg and then drive down past Toulouse but will probably use the Bilbao route instead now it's cheaper to get there. France has a lot to offer if you're France fan and like the language but just feel more at home when I cross the border to Alt Empordà.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.