Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Want to move back to Aus

Want to move back to Aus

Old May 23rd 2021, 6:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to Aus

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
How exciting, I always wanted to learn to fly but couldn't afford it when I was younger and am too ancient now. My nephew's a flight instructor at Bunbury airport, he was just about to be hired for his first commercial pilot job by Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong when the pandemic hit, so that was the end of that. He's pretty happy though, instructing mightn't bring the big bucks but at least he's working and flying.
Never too old! I was in my late 30s, my instructor was in his 80s when he finally gave it up, and there were several others around who were older than me. Obviously the more career minded tended to start younger and progress fast towards their airline goals, but most of us just did it for fun. Serious bank loan territory as far as I was concerned, too years to pay back but well worth it.

Gutting for your nephew, hope he manages to get into the airlines at some point in the future.
Old May 26th 2021, 1:45 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Now, he's probably flying a bus and on $60k
Or flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong
Old May 26th 2021, 2:58 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Old May 27th 2021, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thereandback is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by starlight7
Oh come back here Harri ! Start working towards it right now and that will make you feel better if nothing else. Like you I couldn’t hack the crowds in the UK and the car parking issues and just the general way of life. It is very different as you know . For a few months per year it is ok but the Winter months just drag on and on. Go for it, start looking at realestate.com.au and plan plan plan.
Originally Posted by Harri_delf
Hello everyone,

I'm new here: female, 31, Sussex born and bred, moved to Perth, WA, 10 years ago alone, got citizenship and then, guilt-ridden after the deaths of three grandparents and ageing parents, returned to the UK (Bristol) two years ago with Australian fiance (on partner visa).

We are pretty miserable here. After an initial honeymoon period of say three months, the first year was hard: money here is awful and, even though I earn about as much as I did in Aus (Project Manager in IT), it doesn't allow for decent quality of life or saving like in Australia. My partner (lawyer) took a 40% pay cut which has been devastating for him. We're horrified by the pension schemes here (no wonderful mandatory super!). Despite arriving with significant savings, we're now in debt. So much for buying our English home in 2020!

I thought I was coming back to be closer to family and friends (probably like lots of others). The reality is that life has moved on here and I'm not part of it. People have learnt to live without me and, once the initial novelty of me being back wore off, I barely see people. Even before Covid, my sister had only been to visit me once and my friends are having babies so their priorities are (rightfully) elsewhere. It actually feels very lonely because I put in a lot of effort to see everyone but it isn't reciprocated and I miss my Australian life, routine and friends (who had become my expat family). It's much worse for my partner, especially now during Covid and not being able to visit home and family.

The weather is exhausting. I hated it before and I hate it now. The winters are brutal - seemingly endless, dark, cold and miserable days, exacerbated by the lack of money. The summers are good when the sun shines - and a repetitive game of "when's the sun coming back" when it's raining.

Everywhere, even the countryside, seems to be crawling with people and cars. It's so overwhelming after years in WA. I'm a country girl and had hoped, romantically, before moving back, that we'd get a cottage in the countryside but now, I can't seem to even visit my family home without the sound of traffic on some nearby A road.

I'd wanted to be back here to have kids. The UK offers better maternity leave and undeniably better education. But now... I cannot imagine having kids here. The life here for a child compared to Aus are lightyears apart.

The natural review point for us would be the end of my partner's visa in March 2022. Having said all of this, I'm terrified of moving back to WA and having the resumption of guilt - especially because I'm worried I'll feel as though we didn't give it a "real go" because Covid interrupted what life could have been here.

Does anyone else feel the same? Did anyone else return to the UK just before Covid? How are you coping?

And has anyone else returned to the UK, thinking it would be permanent, but then gone back to Aus? How did it feel? Do you still have the guilt and what ifs?

Thanks for reading - I'm sorry it's such a long whinge.
I moved back to the UK after getting citizenship. The first year was amazing and then I realised what a mistake it had been. Nobody had time for anyone and it was so negative and moaning. I had to stick at it for the kids and now after 14 years have been able to finally return (mid pandemic). I am so pleased to be here (Adelaide) just a shame not all my kids could return but at least we can have great holidays together.
Old May 27th 2021, 11:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Want to move back to Aus

Originally Posted by themerlin
lol

I'm sure he'd probably prefer that to flying a bus!
Old May 28th 2021, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thereandback
I moved back to the UK after getting citizenship. The first year was amazing and then I realised what a mistake it had been. Nobody had time for anyone and it was so negative and moaning. I had to stick at it for the kids and now after 14 years have been able to finally return (mid pandemic). I am so pleased to be here (Adelaide) just a shame not all my kids could return but at least we can have great holidays together.
And do you find Adelaide (Australia) like you remembered? That's a considerable period away. 14 years. Just after the boom kicked off.
Old May 28th 2021, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the troubadour
And do you find Adelaide (Australia) like you remembered? That's a considerable period away. 14 years. Just after the boom kicked off.
It's better than I remembered. I am loving having real fresh air and seeing endless blue skies however its peoples attitudes that I am enjoying the most. I wish I had made the move back years ago or never left in the first place 🤣
Old May 28th 2021, 2:33 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you've had quite a long journey and sacrificed a lot along the way for the good of your family, And then rounded it off by moving back in the middle of the pandemic!

Good on you mate, I hope your dreams come true with your new life again Down Under
Old May 29th 2021, 2:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's better than I remembered. I am loving having real fresh air and seeing endless blue skies however its peoples attitudes that I am enjoying the most. I wish I had made the move back years ago or never left in the first place 🤣
Your post reminded me of this Bill Bailey skit
Old May 29th 2021, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

https://youtu.be/V7d79Knc8p4
Just watched it 🤣🤣 so true
Old May 29th 2021, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 29th 2021, 3:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're happy with your decision and welcome home
Old May 29th 2021, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

2 weeks back in that filthy crowded shithole was enough for me. Enjoy being back in God’s country!
Old May 30th 2021, 12:53 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

So true!

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Edit: I wonder how many of us Poms in Oz still use that stock reply....

Last edited by paulry; May 30th 2021 at 12:59 am.
Old May 30th 2021, 7:05 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by paulry

Edit: I wonder how many of us Poms in Oz still use that stock reply....
Mmmmm.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.