Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Old May 28th 2003, 11:33 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Paul, Julie, Zoe and Sam,

At last today I saw the programme, thanx to my mum who posted it over!
It brought all sorts of emotions flooding back and I sobbed into my Fantastic noodles I was having for my lunch! Julie - having been there and done that myself I think you coped brilliantly. I also spent the first few weeks being in awe at how clean it is here. Our kids also watched it when they came home from school, our son said "they are a family just like us!" It was great to show him that we are not the only ones doing this!
We wish you all the best for the future for your family and your business.

Paula & co
Old May 29th 2003, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks both,
i think there are quite a few copies of the tape floating around new zealand now.
yes the business is legal and it's not keep fit. no mystery really but if any of you own dogs then we are the people to see.
thanks for your support.

paul.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by firing1
we took the house off the market for a week and then put it up with a new agent and we actually increased our asking price! we had three viewings in the first week with this agent and an offer.
it's a long way to go before the money gets in the bank though so we're not get too excited yet.
we have probably made about $30,000 on our house already over here though as prices are soaring at the moment.
They did say how much you paid for the house, was it $104,000 or £104,000?

4bed detached with a decent garden I believe.

Hope you don't mind the question
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
They did say how much you paid for the house, was it $104,000 or £104,000?

4bed detached with a decent garden I believe.

Hope you don't mind the question
The programme mentioned £104,000. I assume that rates were about 2.9 at the time, making the house NZ$300,000, which seems about right. This was the price they agreed to pay within the year.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sofistek
The programme mentioned £104,000. I assume that rates were about 2.9 at the time, making the house NZ$300,000, which seems about right. This was the price they agreed to pay within the year.
Thanx.

So 10% profit already, not bad
Old Jun 4th 2003, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

yeah, your right the house is $300,000 we have been told it would sell for about $340,000 but we haven't had it properly valued yet. well it's make or break time for us at the moment. the house hasn't sold yet and the business is growing but too slowly for us to live off the money. so if something doesn't change in the next couple of months we may be coming back to the uk. we don't want to but if the business can't sustain us then we have to sell up and go back. we are under massive pressure at the moment and it's putting a huge strain on all of us. i've just got to keep pushing at it and hope that we can get through winter which are quieter months business wise anyway.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

yeah, your right the house is $300,000 we have been told it would sell for about $340,000 but we haven't had it properly valued yet. well it's make or break time for us at the moment. the house hasn't sold yet and the business is growing but too slowly for us to live off the money. so if something doesn't change in the next couple of months we may be coming back to the uk. we don't want to but if the business can't sustain us then we have to sell up and go back. we are under massive pressure at the moment and it's putting a huge strain on all of us. i've just got to keep pushing at it and hope that we can get through winter which are quieter months business wise anyway.
That doesn't sound good. I thought you had had two good offers on your house? Why have they fallen through? I guess selling your house would be the key at this stage so I assume that you accepted at least one of those offers.

On your NZ house. As you've committed to buying it, presumably you'd still have to go through with that, even if you came back. Although you could sell it for more than you paid, it might still mean that you have to find over £100,00 from somewhere, for a short time.

I really hope something breaks for you and you can stay over there. Having tasted the good life, I'm sure you don't want to go back to the things you wanted to lose.

Are there more ways to advertise the business? Would Car Care come up in business searches on the Net? Are you in the equivalent of Yellow Pages? Perhaps you could valet a few cars regularly for free in return for discrete "Cleaned by Car Care" adverts on the car.

All the best.

Tony
Old Jun 4th 2003, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worst comes, can you sell the franchise on?
I ask as the pair of you seem to me to be pretty business savvy(the recording studio profit you made was damn good ), and now that you've been there a while you know the area and may have spotted a potential business opportunity in something else.

I can only imagine the pressure at the moment but don't give up on the dream yet, from a crisis something can appear, but don't flog a dead horse(the franchise) if its not going to happen. Didn't you say they had a load of interest from the programme?
Old Jun 5th 2003, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

thanks everyone,
i was just a bit down yesterday with financial pressure but the business will be fine we have to stick at it til we get permanent residence but we are looking at other things. we have accepted the offer on the house but they have to sell their house first so we could be waiting a while. we can sell the franchise but we have decided to dig in and try to work even harder. we wouldn't have to buy this house if we decide not to we just lose the $5000 deposit we put on it. once our house sells in the uk we will be ok we have the support from the master franchisee so i don't think we will be going back to the uk but i suppose me email yesterday shows that it isn't all plain sailing and emigrating is definately the hardest thing we have done.
Old Jun 6th 2003, 3:50 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Keep the house for sale just in case or why not try asking for a deposit, say to cover your $5k. It's still abit slow here so may be worthwhile keeping your agent on his toes, if it becomes protracted someone will be chewing ya nuts, you can bet on that. Good Luck.
Old Jun 6th 2003, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Jon&Ann is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure you'll move forward Firing1

The stress of selling a house in the UK and building a business
is exhausting enough, you have moved to the other side of the
World so you'll have the down times. I'm sure they'll make you
and your Family stronger in the long term, and hope so..

On the Business side: Have you tried Chrome Polishing, especially
goes down well with Motorcycles and classics. If your not doing this already it may well be of benefit to look at this. To add, also
Yacht/Boat cleaning Re-Finishing...

Keep your chin up mate

Jon & Ann
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

hi everyone,
we have just found out the bbc are coming out to new zealand later this year to do an update on how we are getting on! i don't have any details yet but it's going to be linked on to the new series they are filming. we are ok we just changed banks as the one we were with were less than helpful. the business is still building slowly but we have met more people here now and are making friends. The homesickness isn't as bad now either. it's bloody cold at night though so we will be buying a fire as soon as we get the money from the house sale. Sam's starting swimming lessons next week as we plan on spending more time at the beach this summer.

bye for now

paul
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi everyone,
we have just found out the bbc are coming out to new zealand later this year to do an update on how we are getting on! i don't have any details yet but it's going to be linked on to the new series they are filming. we are ok we just changed banks as the one we were with were less than helpful. the business is still building slowly but we have met more people here now and are making friends. The homesickness isn't as bad now either. it's bloody cold at night though so we will be buying a fire as soon as we get the money from the house sale. Sam's starting swimming lessons next week as we plan on spending more time at the beach this summer.

bye for now

paul
It's good to hear from you, Paul. It seems that you've gotten over the bad patch now, which is great.

I'll be looking out for that programme. Make sure you tell it like it is.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

no problem, hopefully it will be a more balanced view this time with some shots of us actually enjoying ourselves. I suppose it depends how the next few months go for us but yes things do seem to be getting better.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul,
super to hear from you and glad that the home sickness has eased a bit and that things are settling down generally!!

what about the house in England? Has the sale gone through for you yet? I really hope so as I know how frustrating it is trying to sell our house and we're still living in it!!

Wishing you all the very best and looking forward to the TV update! As Tony says keep us informed as to dates etc.