Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Asked DIMIA ( London office) about the changes and when you are classed as a permanent resident...their reply follows:

''We do not know whether the changes will affect those who have been granted a permanent visa, or those who have been granted a permanent visa AND have activated it. Until the legislation comes into effect we cannot provide additional details.''

And also contained the information:

''Permanent residency is granted when the visa is granted subjected to visa holder complying to the visa condition 8504 from the migration regulation which states that:

'The holder must enter Australia as the holder of the visa to which the condition applies before a date specified by the Minister'

The visa will be subjected to cancellation if this condition is not complied.''

I hope it is clearer to you than it was to me.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_w
Asked DIMIA ( London office) about the changes and when you are classed as a permanent resident...their reply follows:

''We do not know whether the changes will affect those who have been granted a permanent visa, or those who have been granted a permanent visa AND have activated it. Until the legislation comes into effect we cannot provide additional details.''

And also contained the information:

''Permanent residency is granted when the visa is granted subjected to visa holder complying to the visa condition 8504 from the migration regulation which states that:

'The holder must enter Australia as the holder of the visa to which the condition applies before a date specified by the Minister'

The visa will be subjected to cancellation if this condition is not complied.''

I hope it is clearer to you than it was to me.
It basically means that they aren't committing themselves to answering the question just yet
Old Nov 8th 2006, 12:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vb2
i heard along the grapevine that children born after 1980 something, do not automatically obtain dual citizenship alongside their parents anymore
That's absolute rubbish. Your son will keep his British citizenship when he becomes Australian.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 12:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
It basically means that they aren't committing themselves to answering the question just yet
The draft legislation is in the public domain for anyone who wants to read it. Just be warned, it's complex.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The draft legislation is in the public domain for anyone who wants to read it. Just be warned, it's complex.

I'm not even going there :scared:

I'm so glad that I really don't care if it takes 2 years or 20 years to get citizenship
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:56 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

thanks for that, i simply wanted my son to have a choice as to where he lives when he is old enough, now it appears he will have that luxury.
thanks
regards
vb2

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's absolute rubbish. Your son will keep his British citizenship when he becomes Australian.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sagacity is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I'd come out of my permanent lurkdom to post this:

On 2 November 2006, the Australian Government tabled amendments to the Australian Citizenship Bill 2005 for consideration by Parliament.

The amendments included changes to the residence requirements for Australian citizenship announced by the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, Andrew Robb, on 17 September 2006.

The proposed residential requirements would not apply to people who become permanent residents before the new Act commences. They would only be required to meet the current two-year residential qualifying period provided they apply for citizenship within three years of commencement of the new Act.

Consideration by the Parliament of the changes to citizenship legislation currently before it is not now expected to be completed until at least the Autumn Sittings in 2007. Accordingly it is not expected that the new Act would come into effect before 1 July 2007.
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...6-announce.htm
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:34 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sagacity
Thought I'd come out of my permanent lurkdom to post this:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...6-announce.htm
Excellent. This is good news.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 1:36 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Excellent. This is good news.
Good news for me too!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent News.

But have you noticed the typo?

It says that on the 2 November they tabled amendments including changes tabled on 17 November.

Now that's a forward thinking Government!

Last edited by marco121068; Nov 22nd 2006 at 10:14 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

John J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marco121068
Excellent News.

But have you noticed the typo?

It says that on the 2 November they tabled amendments including changes tabled on 17 November.
They must have read your post and corrected it! It now reads as follows:

"The amendments included changes to the residence requirements for Australian citizenship announced by the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, Andrew Robb, on 17 September 2006."
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
This reads like a Microsoft license agreement....

Are you a lawyer?
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

rustyspanners is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if any body can tell me how this is going to affect me. I was planing to apply under 136 visa when Iam 44 and validate this in the next year. Then we would all go out when I turn 47. Is this still possible, i have already passed TRA as general electrician. Also does anyone know what the licencing is like in qeensland. Do I need to have a logbook of work etc.

thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
ask all your questions on another thread of your own so you will get more answer mate.

yes you can btw as the visa for 136 is valid for 5 years, this thread is answering how long til your a citizen not pr. if you plan to stay forever then you can do so as a pr, you dont need to be a citizen. other visas have diff rules but what you want to do is the same as we have.

al
I'll copy the query by rustyspanners to a thread of its own - as Al says you will have a better chance of an answer that way
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is now closed. The thread has been merged with its companion in the Immigration forum, and I have moved posts with effect from December 2006.
Please see the continuing discussion here -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396979