Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Mission Beach?

Anyone in Mission Beach?

Old Oct 11th 2005, 3:07 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone in Mission Beach?

Just wondering if any of you live in Mission Beach area? We are settling down there for a bit and would love to meet up with anyone for a BBQ on the beach...hard life we lead

Sasha
Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

of2oz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone in Mission Beach?

Originally Posted by snappy
Just wondering if any of you live in Mission Beach area? We are settling down there for a bit and would love to meet up with anyone for a BBQ on the beach...hard life we lead

Sasha
Hi Sasha
We would love to join you on the beach for a barbie, but a bit far to drive over , hope you are enjoying the travelling and look forward to seeing you when you get down this way (Dont rush its still cold bbbrrr! )
Paula & Steve
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:35 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Sasha
Thought you were Adelaide bound Sasha ?

Anyway I don't recall anyone other than Freeflyer but unfortunately she hasn't posted since Feb. If all went to plan would have been going there in June.

Try sending her an email through the site.

Failing that check out the skydivers.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:38 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
Thought you were Adelaide bound Sasha ?

Anyway I don't recall anyone other than Freeflyer but unfortunately she hasn't posted since Feb. If all went to plan would have been going there in June.

Try sending her an email through the site.

Failing that check out the skydivers.

Thanks Bix I'll have a look. We were in your neck of the woods a few weeks back staying with some mates. We are still heading South to Adelaide just taking in the views on the way and stopping for a break for our sanity...not fun with two kids on the road!

Hopefully see you soon Paula and Steve for that BBQ

Sasha
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

of2oz is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bix I'll have a look. We were in your neck of the woods a few weeks back staying with some mates. We are still heading South to Adelaide just taking in the views on the way and stopping for a break for our sanity...not fun with two kids on the road!

Hopefully see you soon Paula and Steve for that BBQ

Sasha
Hi Sasha

The weather is much better now, had a few lovely days in the 30's last week, so that barbecue is looking more likely, hope you are still enjoying the travelling, Cairns and Port Douglas are lovely we were up there in August and went to Green Island, fantastic fish/snorkelling etc, catch up with you soon for a drink

Steve & Paula
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:28 pm
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Hi Snappy

Just noticed your thread. We are a family hoping to move to Oz at the end of the year. We have 2 young kids. We want to get away from city life and Mission Beach just looks like paradise to us. Do you and your kids like it there. Do you think it would be a good place for kids to grow up. I would appreciate your comments and will use your advice on our long and arduous search for a good place to live for a young family in Queensland.

Cheers
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:25 pm
I need a beer.....

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox
Hi Snappy

Just noticed your thread. We are a family hoping to move to Oz at the end of the year. We have 2 young kids. We want to get away from city life and Mission Beach just looks like paradise to us. Do you and your kids like it there. Do you think it would be a good place for kids to grow up. I would appreciate your comments and will use your advice on our long and arduous search for a good place to live for a young family in Queensland.

Cheers
It is a great place for young kids as the local school is excellent. The community feel is still here in bucket loads. The only thing is the jobs can be scarce as it is a bit out in the middle of nowehere so it depends on what you do.

I like being here as it feels like you are in a little rainforest bubble on beautiful beaches. They have everything on tap here for kids i.e. scouts, guides, soccer, golf, rugby, dancing, gymnastics etc.

Disadvantages of living here - you have to travel for larger shops, you do get things like stingers/crocs etc, jobs can be scarce, wet seasons.

Advantages of living here - community feel to the place, stunning scenery, great school, amazing mix of people (heaps of Italians here and artisty type people), outstounding islands off shore, privacy.

I think that this place is on the verge of taking off so it is a good investment. The main sewage went in over a year ago so developers have started to arrive. Woolies are building a new shopping centre (meant to be this year), plans for a major resort and golf club are in place.

I don't see us staying here forever as once the kids grow older and if they went to Uni we would be looking at Townsville or Cairns as the nearest ones.

We did head down South again only to return and it did feel like home on our return so that is a good sign but that said work wise is proving a problem for my hubbie at the moment so we may just build our house, make some cash and move on. It's not because of the place so much as it is wonderful and I do enjoy living here I just like to keep options open

I've typed up a few notes I made during our travels through Queensland on this forum if you want a read

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Queenslan...ex.php?act=idx
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:07 pm
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Thanks so much for you great reply. Mission Beach sounds exactly as we image it to be. Our kids are 3 and 6 and we think it sounds like a wonderful place for them to grow up. We come from Glasgow and want to get away from big city life. We have seen some land advertised and also thought it would be a good investment to buy just now. I have a few questions I hope you dont mind me asking
- Are there many children there?
- I am a social worker. Are there any big hospitals or social work buildings nearby?
- Can it still be dangerous during the summer swimming in the ocean even if you are within the stinger nets?
- Is there a municipal swimming pool?
- What is the croc problem?
- Do the locals welcome immigrants?

Thanks for all your time
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:25 am
I need a beer.....

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox
Thanks so much for you great reply. Mission Beach sounds exactly as we image it to be. Our kids are 3 and 6 and we think it sounds like a wonderful place for them to grow up. We come from Glasgow and want to get away from big city life. We have seen some land advertised and also thought it would be a good investment to buy just now. I have a few questions I hope you dont mind me asking
- Are there many children there?
- I am a social worker. Are there any big hospitals or social work buildings nearby?
- Can it still be dangerous during the summer swimming in the ocean even if you are within the stinger nets?
- Is there a municipal swimming pool?
- What is the croc problem?
- Do the locals welcome immigrants?

Thanks for all your time
The high school where I work we have just had the latest head count at 667 students, at Mission Beach State School I think there must be around 300 odd students, so yes there are plenty of kids around

There is a hospital in Tully (about 20 minute drive) but it is quite a small one, the other nearest one is in Innisfail which is about a 40 minute drive. Not too sure on how much work there is for social workers but maybe you could contact the hospitals directly for that one.

Any local stays out of the sea during stinger season as it is just not worth risking it. Most houses though have their own pools even the rented ones. Tully has just had a massive refurbishment of their pool which has a great kiddies section. My two also go to lessons in Mission beach with a qualified Aus swimming instructor. If you don't have a pool then the locals tend to head up to the Horizon hotel and use theirs as it has great views over looking the islands and the beach.

Mission beach Lions etc are raising money for Mission Beach to build their own pool. Every year we have an Aquatic Festival where all the profits go towards the pool fund.

There are a few rivers and creeks around here all of which have crocs. The Hull river which is behind us is full of them and this is where you can go croc spotting on a tour (the only time we have seen a wild crocodile here!) There are two major creeks that run into the sea both either side of Wongaling. You may find the odd croc sitting out at the mouth of these creeks but mainly this is when the stingers also come out. I would say I used to go outrigging and never saw any crocs in the ocean, rumours have it a coupe of years ago a metre croc was found in the stinger nets. Just use your sense ie don't go swimming in creeks or rivers, pay attention to warning signs and listen to locals as they know the best swimming holes aorund this area and there are some really great places to go!

The locals are very welcoming here, Tully can be a bit funny as they do tend to have the type of people who have been born and bred there and have never been anywhere else in Australia let alone the world! I have had no problems though so long as you are friendly, welcoming, and smile most will chat away like there is no tommorrow I also volunteered for tuckshop etc when I first got here to meet more people and now I also help run the local Guides so I generally have met heaps of people here.

You will get the odd one that is a bit strange but that is life in general. You also get a lot of hippies here as Bingil Bay is a bit arty farty and have heaps of circus people living there. It is great when they all come out at the festivals though as it brightens up the place. So be openminded as some of the most welcoming people have been from this crowd of people......had a great time Boxing day at someone's house in Bingil Bay as they had an amazing jamming session with a load of people

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

300 odd students
Is it the water???????

WW
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:06 am
I need a beer.....

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Is it the water???????

WW
I hope not