Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future
Default Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Originally Posted by JAJ
With respect it was a waste of your time because no-one knows the answer to that question until the revised text of the Bill is available.

As has already been said - WAIT AND SEE. Or plan to validate before 26 Jan 2007 anyway, but be prepared to find out this may not be enough to guarantee you the 2 year wait.
The problem is if I have to WAIT AND SEE then I also have to rearrange jobs, schedules, children, home plans and so on, therefore I was just trying to get a headsup on this. If only I could hang around to see then I would be so much happier and lessed stressed about it.
The embassy replied and that is good enough for me. I am going to try and validate before Jan. I really just put the reply from them on here to maybe help others and to stop them from having to email the embassy themselves.
Thanks again for the input.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karmagirls
The embassy replied and that is good enough for me. I am going to try and validate before Jan. I really just put the reply from them on here to maybe help others and to stop them from having to email the embassy themselves.

But the Embassy (High Commission) don't know the answer! How can they when the text of the legislation is not available?

If you read their reply again you'll see they haven't answered you at all!

By all means plan to validate before January - it may well work - but there is a chance that it won't, so don't be overly disappointed in that case.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 3:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Update on the new citizenship residence requirement:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...irementsQA.htm

Highlights are:

- FOUR years lawful residence in Australia immediately preceding the application
- absences of up to 12 months in total will be allowed, with no more than a total of 3 months in the final year
- at least ONE year of the four years must be as a permanent residence. (in other words up to THREE years temporary residence can count).

It seems that current permanent residents will be exempted:

"The new residence requirements will apply to people who become permanent residents on or after commencement of the legislation. Current permanent residents will not be affected by these changes."

Commencement day for the new laws is still scheduled to be 26 January 2007.

Thanks a lot, Jeremy. We would have been caught just in the middle with what I understood to be the proposed changes, coming up as we are now to the two year point. I could see us chasing residence requirements year by year as they raised the bar!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
OMG!!!!!

Surely not....I've interpreted it as if you're a PR at 26th Jan 07, then when you do get around to applying in 2 years after taking residency, you'll get get citizenship.

If this isnt' the case then surely it would have been simpler for the government to state " All applicants for citizenship after 26th Jan 07 will have to have had 4 years of residency"..simple as.
I wrote to my local MLA for guidence on this: The Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, Andrew Robb states:

"People who are already permanent residents will only be required to meet the current two year residential qualifying period provided they apply for citizenship within three years of the commencement of the Act,"

I interpret this as:

a) in possession of a PR Visa and b) currently living in Australia

I would say that provided you validate your visa BEFORE the new law comes in AND you manage to clock up 2 years residency in Australia, including 12 months in the year prior to applying you will be assessed under the old rules. BUT you MUST apply within 3 years of the new rule coming into force, this still gives you 2 years of coming and going into Australia, provided the whole of the third year is spent here and you accumulate another 12 months from the first two years to-ing and fro-ing. I'm not an expert so please dont ask me to answer personal circumstance questions, cos I wont be able to. Just thought I'd add my thoughts on the subject.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JIVEBABE
I interpret this as:

a) in possession of a PR Visa and b) currently living in Australia
"Permanent resident" is defined differently in the Australian Citizenship Act 1948 compared to the Migration Act 1958.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Hi,
I received this email this morning. Think it clarifies the entire thing. I'm actually going in January now anyway so I only need to wait the 2 years, on the assumption this will go through.

"Dear Ms Whitelaw

Thank you for your email of 19 September 2006 to the Parliamentary
Secretary to the Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, the
Hon Andrew Robb AO MP, concerning the new residence requirements for
Australian citizenship. Your email has been referred to the Department of
Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (the department) for response.

The new residence requirements for Australian citizenship, which were
announced on
17 September 2006, will require changes to the legislation and are not
expected to come into effect until 26 January 2007 at the earliest.

If you make your initial entry to Australia before the date of commencement
of the new legislation, you will only need to meet the current requirement
of a minimum period of two years as a permanent resident in Australia in
the five years before application for citizenship, including at least 12
months in the two years before the application. This is provided that an
application for citizenship is made within three years of the changes
coming into effect.

If you make your initial entry after the commencement of the new
legislation, the new residence requirements will apply.

Further details on the new residence requirements can be found on the
department’s citizenship website,
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/news/index.htm. The website will be updated
as developments occur.

I trust the information provided is useful.

Yours sincerely

xxxxxx
Assistant Secretary
Citizenship and Language Services"

Glad that I found out for definite, it's actually made things more exciting for me as now I only have a few months to get ready!
Tracy

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 5th 2006 at 9:28 am. Reason: removal of name of department staff member
Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

nawab1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did you actually read the announcement? If not, strongly recommended to do so. Pay special attention to what the Minister says about existing permanent residents.

Thanks JAJ I m feeling ok now.
Thanks
Old Oct 5th 2006, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

What an absolute bummer.

We were going to book our flights for validation this weekend - got a great deal with Singapore Airlines. We were going middles of March for 3 weeks.

Just checked the fares - there are very few seats left for January and it will cost us an extra £1000 !!!!!! just for two uf us.

Bloody typical.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

rubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
What an absolute bummer.

We were going to book our flights for validation this weekend - got a great deal with Singapore Airlines. We were going middles of March for 3 weeks.

Just checked the fares - there are very few seats left for January and it will cost us an extra £1000 !!!!!! just for two uf us.

Bloody typical.
January's school holidays.... hence the extra $1000! come in Feb!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

rubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of light
Angry Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

I've got the tom tits about this! I've lived here for 6 years -only been out of the country for a month here and there yet I have to wait until next year before I can become a citizen (only got my PR last June - it took over 3 years to get!).

My partner's an aussie, which makes my daughter half aussie but they still wont let me!!! I wanted to start uni this year but need a student loan - which I cant get until I am a citizen - Perhaps not the best reason for wanting it? Hmmmmmph!

Oh well .....
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubyredlips
IPerhaps not the best reason for wanting it? Hmmmmmph!
I reckon it's one of the best reasons for having it. Better than the folk who get it "just in case" only to piss off back to the UK.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

It said on the immigration website that it could come in as early as Jan 26th, if it is passed through the next sitting of parliment.

Does anyone know when the next sitting is?

Thanks.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

It said on the immigration website that it could come in as early as Jan 26th, if it is passed through the next sitting of parliment.

Does anyone know when the next sitting is?

Thanks.

It's OK - I found it:-

9th to 12th October – Both Chambers sit

They actually sit quite often, so if it doesnt go through this time - it wont be long after I should think.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

shaakq is an unknown quantity at this point

It's OK - I found it:-

9th to 12th October – Both Chambers sit

They actually sit quite often, so if it doesnt go through this time - it wont be long after I should think.

lets cross our fingers and see what happens at this sitting !!!!
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:56 am
Just Joined

booyip is an unknown quantity at this point

First post warning!

Think this has already been asked, but not answered yet...

Will time on a Working Holiday Visa (417) count towards the new citizenship requirements?

I have been in Australia since March 2004 (on a WHV), then converted to a 457 in Jan 2005 which I'm still on. I think this new rule will work in my favour (if the WHV counts!), so should I delay my PR application? Was looking to apply in the next month or so...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.