Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Update from Badge

Update from Badge

Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:46 am
Badge

Default Update from Badge

Escaped Sydney as it was too full on for us - what with the holiday season I honestly forgot about...(oops)

we're on the NSW Mid North Coast, 1 hr from Port with mates..great to be back.the first few hrs my mates accents were quite strong, and I now realise why I got such a strong accent last year..think it's coming back already...eh..

Bi-Lo - been every day and I can buy everything I could have wanted or needed in the UK so there. (!) ;-) Fresh Coriander is sold better here according to Mrs B - something about the flower / bunch leaf configuration? Got beach gear from Crazy Clarks - or something - bargain.

it is hot - even they are winging, but all you need is 2 showers a day rather than one..I'm still out running every morning, and all the blokes looked peeved when they saw how fit I am these days - not all Pommies are useless at sport is my message? To be fair, lost a bit of weight over Xmas with flu, not eating much yadda yadda. We find our appetite goes down over here, I find. Bought some Fruity and Nut Cadburys - and you know what - I couldn't detect a difference. The big bars were 2.98 on special with the small ones at 3.02 so I went for the BIG one.

Bought a ute on Parammatta Rd - paid pretty much Glasses book price for it, got a year's warranty on it as well and my mate will do an oil service and filter change tomorrow arvo. Driving with Thongs slightly different is all I'll say on that one..

bught a Vodaphone Bring your Own Mobile for 30 bucks (with 30 bucks free credit) - Sim in - we were off.

Houses are cheaper in the areas we are interested in, than we have budgeted for, so that was a pleasant surprise. Saw a few tree frogs on the window sill, had to prise a baby blue tongued lizard from out of the cat's jaws..

RSL clubs still do great feeds. (One RSL had more pokies than I recall, but as I don't use them, who's complaining?) It's all as I remembered..taking a few days to really adjust to the slower pace of life..

Gave my mate a front page copy of a English newspaper about the rugby to put in his bar - he was surprised I hadn't gloated about it earler..as i said to him, Australia had won the League International the same day so he was hardly bothered!

Off to play a bit of indoor cricket Thurs night in trg, they know I'm coming so will no doubt tell me to pad up..and we've got the real thing (well, age grade cricket) Sat arvo! Boys night out Saturday night as well.

Buying a slab of Tooheys Extra Dry was particularly soothing and therupetic - love walking in to the cooler...I did this last year to try to acclimatise for going back to the UK..

Badge

piccys to follow

Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Music to my ears mate. The only problem is it's you who's knicked my life for the while - what are you doing on the mid-north coast! : ))
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:03 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update! All sounds great!
Looking forward to pics!

Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:30 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Badge,

Sounds like things continue to go well for you and Mrs B. Nice area you're in...are you thinking of staying there? I still use our Crazy Clarks towels bought a few years back now - can't beat the old budget stores for speedy necessities.

Just so you know, it's wet and miserable here!

But I've just posted my UK police check, so things are finally beginning to move. Hopefully it won't be many more months before we can experience a bit of the life you have found for yourselves...
Old Jan 6th 2004, 10:57 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic news about the cadburys! Its the only foodstuff I think I'd miss.

Great update, keep them coming.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Badger!
Hope you've got that new ute of yours signed up for RAC coverage - excellent roadside help, amazing admin back-up, car care courses, everything the motorist needs.......
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:47 am
WBB

Originally posted by Pollyana
Hey Badger!
Hope you've got that new ute of yours signed up for RAC coverage - excellent roadside help, amazing admin back-up, car care courses, everything the motorist needs.......

Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Hey Badger!

Hey Pollyana, I must say that the service we got when insuring our cars, boat and house was very good, and a lot less of a drag than trying to do it in the UK, and that is with Tony being in the Insurance Business in the UK.
Another Crabtree recommendation - Try RAC - A lot less hassle.

Whisky
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:20 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Update from Badge

Just shown this post to my aussie wife and she found it incredibly condescending and patronising. Personally have to say the thought of an English bloke just off the plane wearing thongs, driving a ute and desperate to buy a slab of beer seems like they may be taking the proverbial.

Originally posted by badgersmount
Escaped Sydney as it was too full on for us - what with the holiday season I honestly forgot about...(oops)

we're on the NSW Mid North Coast, 1 hr from Port with mates..great to be back.the first few hrs my mates accents were quite strong, and I now realise why I got such a strong accent last year..think it's coming back already...eh..

Bi-Lo - been every day and I can buy everything I could have wanted or needed in the UK so there. (!) ;-) Fresh Coriander is sold better here according to Mrs B - something about the flower / bunch leaf configuration? Got beach gear from Crazy Clarks - or something - bargain.

it is hot - even they are winging, but all you need is 2 showers a day rather than one..I'm still out running every morning, and all the blokes looked peeved when they saw how fit I am these days - not all Pommies are useless at sport is my message? To be fair, lost a bit of weight over Xmas with flu, not eating much yadda yadda. We find our appetite goes down over here, I find. Bought some Fruity and Nut Cadburys - and you know what - I couldn't detect a difference. The big bars were 2.98 on special with the small ones at 3.02 so I went for the BIG one.

Bought a ute on Parammatta Rd - paid pretty much Glasses book price for it, got a year's warranty on it as well and my mate will do an oil service and filter change tomorrow arvo. Driving with Thongs slightly different is all I'll say on that one..

bught a Vodaphone Bring your Own Mobile for 30 bucks (with 30 bucks free credit) - Sim in - we were off.

Houses are cheaper in the areas we are interested in, than we have budgeted for, so that was a pleasant surprise. Saw a few tree frogs on the window sill, had to prise a baby blue tongued lizard from out of the cat's jaws..

RSL clubs still do great feeds. (One RSL had more pokies than I recall, but as I don't use them, who's complaining?) It's all as I remembered..taking a few days to really adjust to the slower pace of life..

Gave my mate a front page copy of a English newspaper about the rugby to put in his bar - he was surprised I hadn't gloated about it earler..as i said to him, Australia had won the League International the same day so he was hardly bothered!

Off to play a bit of indoor cricket Thurs night in trg, they know I'm coming so will no doubt tell me to pad up..and we've got the real thing (well, age grade cricket) Sat arvo! Boys night out Saturday night as well.

Buying a slab of Tooheys Extra Dry was particularly soothing and therupetic - love walking in to the cooler...I did this last year to try to acclimatise for going back to the UK..

Badge

piccys to follow

Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:23 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes well, badgers may be english officially, unofficially he's an Aussie!

I don't get the patronising remark?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dugongs
Just shown this post to my aussie wife and she found it incredibly condescending and patronising. Personally have to say the thought of an English bloke just off the plane wearing thongs, driving a ute and desperate to buy a slab of beer seems like they may be taking the proverbial.
I wouldn't knock him - he sounds genuinely happy to be here, cheerful and obviously fits right in - which makes a great change from a lot of other posts on here!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:33 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious - why did your wife find it so patronising and condescending?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Patronising and condescending to who ?? Doesn't something have to be directed to you personally before you can find it patronising and condescending ??
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:49 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by sjn2003
Patronising and condescending to who ?? Doesn't something have to be directed to you personally before you can find it patronising and condescending ??
Yes, that's what I was confused!!!!!!!!!!!!
(and I don't know the meaning of condescending, but it's probabaly like patronising, and I can't be bothered to look it up )
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:00 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I am terribly sorry if this upsets any NZers but the first things I intent to do upon arrival is buy a pair of thongs, a ute and a slab of beer - in that order!

The we shall set about less important stuff like a home!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.