Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unlimited budget Melbourne move

Unlimited budget Melbourne move

Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlimited budget Melbourne move

What visa are you planning to come over on?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

tabascojazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Skilled occupation list: Pharmacist and wife:Nurse, why?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabascojazz
Skilled occupation list: Pharmacist and wife:Nurse, why?
Maybe that should be your priority then....before where to live etc.

Different visas have different rules re school fees etc.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

There are also requirements that have to be met before you can open a business....If you are using that as a basis for migration
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:11 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Toorak, Malvern, Armadale, Brighton, Elwood, Camberwell, Balwyn, Mont Albert.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:25 pm
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

What does your company do ? - just curious - but if you have an unlimited budget why bother asking, just fly in on a private jet, stay at a 5 star hotel having people peel grapes for you and dropping them in your open mouths as you get you feet massaged and direct some peon to go buy you the most expensive house on the market and go throw abunch of cash at the most expensive private schools, offer to build them a new library if your kids can start at a date of YOUR convenience - who cares what anyone else wants or what their agenda is / you have unlimited funds so just waft in on your golden fleece and let the servants sort it all out.

well that's what old money would do - i guess because you had to ask you have new money and no class and your claim of unlimited budget was a bit overconfident - get over yourself mate.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pomikev
What does your company do ? - just curious - but if you have an unlimited budget why bother asking, just fly in on a private jet, stay at a 5 star hotel having people peel grapes for you and dropping them in your open mouths as you get you feet massaged and direct some peon to go buy you the most expensive house on the market and go throw abunch of cash at the most expensive private schools, offer to build them a new library if your kids can start at a date of YOUR convenience - who cares what anyone else wants or what their agenda is / you have unlimited funds so just waft in on your golden fleece and let the servants sort it all out.

well that's what old money would do - i guess because you had to ask you have new money and no class and your claim of unlimited budget was a bit overconfident - get over yourself mate.

yep surely a troll

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 1st 2013 at 10:39 am. Reason: sorting the quotes
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:53 pm
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Margaret3

yep surely a troll
No wonder you are having an identity crisis lmao

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 1st 2013 at 10:40 am. Reason: sorting the quotes
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pomikev
No wonder you are having an identity crisis lmao
I do that sometimes be accident

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 1st 2013 at 10:40 am. Reason: sorting the quotes
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

University High requires PR, I checked it out when we came. I would say Balwyn if money no object. But there are lovely suburbs further out with great private schools, look at the school stats, bettereducation.com.au that will give you the best suburbs based on school results.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware also, that private schools here can be a lot less than their equivalents in the UK. If you are Catholic, then it's even better.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Yes, our local catholic school is $5000 a year... Christian schools around $10k, then goes up from there
Old Feb 1st 2013, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Yes, our local catholic school is $5000 a year... Christian schools around $10k, then goes up from there
Are Catholics not Christian then?

It's a genuine question btw. I know nothing about religion, except that if we go to Mrs TB's Korean church in Gladesville, I get a free lunch
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabascojazz
I have 3 children and my company wants me to move to Melbourne to set up and operation there 2014. Which area has the best schools and the nicest housing to rent for a couple of years. Budget unlimited, family safety priority, preferably state schools. Cheers.
Firstly, welcome to the Forum. As you've no doubt found out, it can be a pretty ruthless place !

With the greatest of respect though, your first post was set up for a flaming. Take some time to read a few posts and threads and you'll quickly realise that many many folks here don't live in luxury and find the move and life here hard - especially in recent years with the exchange rate, UK house prices and general cost of living over here. Talking about "the best" and "unlimited budget" will simply piss people off, regardless of how innocent it was.

Now, assuming you're not a troll and do need advice. Do some research, narrow down areas to live in and explain what you need. Do you want to be by the beach or rural. How far a commute do you want ? If budget is unlimited then do you want a 6 bedroom house with a pool in the most exclusive suburb ? Do you want BMW's and Mercedes or happy with a Toyota and a Ford ? Private or public schools ? If private then Catholic starts around $5,000 a year. Christian around $10,000 and decent private around $20,000. Top class private is considerably more.

Eastern and south eastern suburbs are generally considered the better options and chosen by most brit expats. North and West will be a lot cheaper but for a reason - longer commute and area not as nice (IMHO).

Mornington Peninsula is fabulous and a lot cheaper but few folks (compared to UK/London commuting) travel in from their even though you can reach the CBD in less than 90 minutes.

I live in Beaumaris which I can highly recommend and know the Bayside suburbs well - all very leafy, suburban and safe. Brighton (very pricey), Hampton, Sandringham, Black Rock and Beaumaris are all excellent and all have very good schools - public and private. All are on the more expensive side due to beach side location.

If you want any more info just PM me or post with more details of what you really want, and be specific.

Col
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:00 am
Just Joined

tabascojazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Col, not come across the concept of a troll before. SamSi gave me some good advice: 2 top suburbs in Melb are Brighton and Toorak. Expect to pay $1500pw + for a truly decent place. Start your search there and broaden out to then include Sandringham/Hampton/Black Rock and Beaumauris (these are Bayside) and South Yarra / Armadale/Malvern/Glenris/Kooyong/Hawthorn/Camberwell for the inner East.

This seems adequate info for now and after my first grilling by someone I did actually refine my initial post to be more specific, if you take a look a bit further down page 1. If you have anything else I can learn from it would be appreciated but my main question now is whether I need private education for primary school aged children or are the standards good at this level anyway.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.