Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unlimited budget Melbourne move

Unlimited budget Melbourne move

Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:17 am
Just Joined

tabascojazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unlimited budget Melbourne move

I have 3 children and my company wants me to move to Melbourne to set up and operation there 2014. Which area has the best schools and the nicest housing to rent for a couple of years. Budget unlimited, family safety priority, preferably state schools. Cheers.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlimited budget Melbourne move

Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Really and truly unlimited?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabascojazz
I have 3 children and my company wants me to move to Melbourne to set up and operation there 2014. Which area has the best schools and the nicest housing to rent for a couple of years. Budget unlimited, family safety priority, preferably state schools. Cheers.
I hope I haven't got shares in your company
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I hope I haven't got shares in your company
I'll try to be serious....

If your company has sufficient resources to allow you an unlimited housing budget, best thing to do is ask them to pay for you and the family to come over for a month and do a reccie.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:13 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'll try to be serious....

If your company has sufficient resources to allow you an unlimited housing budget, best thing to do is ask them to pay for you and the family to come over for a month and do a reccie.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/pic...9726440?page=1
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Doing a reccie next year and as its my own company I wanted to know which areas I should look for so I can budget. I only need 4 bedrooms but would like to be in a nice location so I can try and persuade my wife to stay. Doesnt need to be a fancy house just the posher end of the market. Cheers.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:41 pm
Concierge

Doing a reccie next year and as its my own company I wanted to know which areas I should look for so I can budget. I only need 4 bedrooms but would like to be in a nice location so I can try and persuade my wife to stay. Doesnt need to be a fancy house just the posher end of the market. Cheers.
Sorry mate, you've lost me. You said your company wanted you to move, but it's really your own company. You have an unlimited budget but you need to budget. It has to be in posh place but you prefer state schools.

I'll leave it to cleverer posters than me.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, sorry new to this forum concept and not good at explaining myself.

I want to expand our UK operation to OZ. For the year we plan to be there initially I would like to find a house in an area which is nice. By needing to budget I mean forecast how much I need to put aside for accommodation whatever that may be. If there are no top state schools comparable to independent schools then I will obviously choose the latter but in the UK you have to be in a catchment area for a state school so I would like to rent near that school if it exists. One friend said St.Kilda another said Fitzroy and availability of houses in either are not great so I would like some other opinions if possible.

Have I explained myself any better and could you help? Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Toorak and There was another....

Don't know about the schools, but when my mate who lived in peppermint grove took a posting to Melbourne there were (I believe, but don't quote me on it) only two burbs she would consider.. Based on some fairly in-depth research she commissioned....

If you are seriously interested Perhaps you should commission some research... Write it off as a tax deductible or expense of some kind
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:37 pm
Concierge

Yeah, sorry new to this forum concept and not good at explaining myself.

I want to expand our UK operation to OZ. For the year we plan to be there initially I would like to find a house in an area which is nice. By needing to budget I mean forecast how much I need to put aside for accommodation whatever that may be. If there are no top state schools comparable to independent schools then I will obviously choose the latter but in the UK you have to be in a catchment area for a state school so I would like to rent near that school if it exists. One friend said St.Kilda another said Fitzroy and availability of houses in either are not great so I would like some other opinions if possible.

Have I explained myself any better and could you help? Thanks
Sorry about that tabascojazz, I jumped the gun a bit because I thought your first couple of posts were a wind up, mainly because you posted on the Barbie board. It does take a while to find your feet here but now that you have and your questions are on the right board, you'll get heaps of useful information.

Not from me I'm afraid, because I'm in Perth. But Melbourne is my favourite place in the whole country and I'm sure you'll be really happy there. If your wife likes terrific shopping, a fantastic array of restaurants, intimate bars etc, and (in my opinion) the only city in Australia that has got the mix of old and new bang on, then she'll love Melbourne too. Good luck!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Camberwell.... But it truly is expensive.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...well-408890259
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...well-409551047
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on whether you're talking high schools or primary. One of the best high schools in Melbourne is Balwyn High, which has some pretty nice houses around it. Primary's I would recommend McKinnon, but you have to be in the area to get in - that applies to most schools though. Check our www.myschool.edu.au and bettereducation.com.au for school info. Check out www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au for rentals. If you're wanting the better suburbs look at Camberwell (as already suggested), Toorak, Brighton (by the beach), Kew, Balwyn, Surrey Hills and areas near there. Be aware though that many of the residents of these areas send their kids to the private, not state, schools.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Really good info so far, never expected this depth of advice. Children are all primary school age/below, so should I still go private.

Also, what was the barbie section anyway? I assumed BBQ.

Happy with areas so far just need this schooling issue sorting.

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

University high is the best state high school in Victoria....Well and truly competes with most private schools....thats in Parkville.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.