Springo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unhappy families

Mary

Please accept our deepest sympathys

Take Care

Julia
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:08 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

We found that because of the long wait for visa's to arrive, most of our family had come to the conclusion we either wouldn't be going, or we would be but months later than we actually did.
Steve's mum was fine until the med request turned up, she burst into tears, it seems that when the medicals start being asked for the family realise you arn't joking after all. So be prepared for hell when you get your med request.
My side of the family did not want us to see how upset they where, although everytime my nan saw me her eyes filled up.
It was so bad with us we decided to spend the night before our flight at the airport. Spending the last night in the uk at the airport was the best thing we have ever done, we woke up excited knowing we would not have to see any family waving us off hysterical and enjoy our journey over here. It worked for us, Bewleys hotel at the manchester airport was nice, has a bus in the morning to take you to the terminal from outside the hotel reception, cheap as well, think we paid £58 for the room, huge beds, clean, couldn't fault really.
Jenny
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

samjam will become famous soon enoughsamjam will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all your replys, theyve been a great help.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by samjam
Hi
Just wondering if anyone had any problems breaking the news they were going to Oz to their families.
Were hoping to go to ACT next year taking four young kids.
Grandparents not happy to say the least,we're trying to convince them that this is a decision which is the best for us and our kids.
Any advice.
For what its worth, my view is: Our parents gave us the gift of life through their love for each other - its up to us not to waste it and to live it the best we can and to seize each opportunity to better ourselves that comes along.

Still hard though, but the world is much smaller than it used to be.

All the best
Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

dundee is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Unhappy families

Hi
Just wondering if anyone had any problems breaking the news they were going to Oz to their families.
Grandparents not happy to say the least,we're trying to convince them that this is a decision which is the best for us and our kids.
Any advice.
hi, know how you feel. we're hoping to go to nz. family refuse to acknowledge, thinking it will pass. remind them its hard for you to but sometimes you have to take a gamble in life. good luck.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

DONBEN is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Unhappy families

Originally Posted by jensteve
We found that because of the long wait for visa's to arrive, most of our family had come to the conclusion we either wouldn't be going, or we would be but months later than we actually did.
Steve's mum was fine until the med request turned up, she burst into tears, it seems that when the medicals start being asked for the family realise you arn't joking after all. So be prepared for hell when you get your med request.
My side of the family did not want us to see how upset they where, although everytime my nan saw me her eyes filled up.
It was so bad with us we decided to spend the night before our flight at the airport. Spending the last night in the uk at the airport was the best thing we have ever done, we woke up excited knowing we would not have to see any family waving us off hysterical and enjoy our journey over here. It worked for us, Bewleys hotel at the manchester airport was nice, has a bus in the morning to take you to the terminal from outside the hotel reception, cheap as well, think we paid £58 for the room, huge beds, clean, couldn't fault really.
Jenny
I JUST WANT TO SAY READING ALL YOUR THREADS HAS MADE ME FEEL MUCH BETTER I WAS REALLY HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT GOING COULDNT STAND THE SILENT TREATMENT AND EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL NOW I REALIZE EVERYONE HAS TO GO THROUGH THIS AND IM NOT ALONE NOW I KNOW I REALLY WANT TO GO THANKS GANG
Old Oct 15th 2004, 10:12 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I am dreading my parents too. My brother died 3 years ago so their only remaining child and grandchild will be on the other side of the planet. But it was his death that persuaded me that life is too short to regret what you didn't do when you had the chance and it is ultimately because of what happened to him and not despite it that we are going. I have done a lot of travelling since he died and it was a trip to Australia 2 years ago that got us thinking of emigrating. I know mum and dad will try and hide their sadness but I am also optimistic they will take it okay. I have always been indepenent and they have had 15 years to get used to only seeing us every 2 months as we live 100 miles away. What gives me most grounds for optimism is that we have dropped hints in the past that we were thinking of doing this ever since we went to Oz. Mum joked that she would have to cover her arm in nicotine patches so she could make the flight to visit. And despite being a total technophobe she has started taking computing lessons last week. She knows!!! My suggestion is to give them as much time as possible to get used to the idea, be open with them and even though they may throw the odd sulk before you go they are your parents, they love you and once you go they will start to deal with things more positively. That Sunday phone call where I half listen / half watch the Simpsons will become a webcam conversation with both sides hanging on every word. I hope I am right!!!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 10:21 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Any advice.

My family was quite the opposite, they seemed pleased to get rid of me, I'm sure they would have bought the ticket for my flight if they had half the chance, although I have spoken to them on the phone for the 18 months I have been away now and it does seem that they are missing me more and more each time I speak to them.. I am so confused as to their opinions??!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:49 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
I am dreading my parents too. My brother died 3 years ago so their only remaining child and grandchild will be on the other side of the planet. But it was his death that persuaded me that life is too short to regret what you didn't do when you had the chance and it is ultimately because of what happened to him and not despite it that we are going. I have done a lot of travelling since he died and it was a trip to Australia 2 years ago that got us thinking of emigrating. I know mum and dad will try and hide their sadness but I am also optimistic they will take it okay. I have always been indepenent and they have had 15 years to get used to only seeing us every 2 months as we live 100 miles away. What gives me most grounds for optimism is that we have dropped hints in the past that we were thinking of doing this ever since we went to Oz. Mum joked that she would have to cover her arm in nicotine patches so she could make the flight to visit. And despite being a total technophobe she has started taking computing lessons last week. She knows!!! My suggestion is to give them as much time as possible to get used to the idea, be open with them and even though they may throw the odd sulk before you go they are your parents, they love you and once you go they will start to deal with things more positively. That Sunday phone call where I half listen / half watch the Simpsons will become a webcam conversation with both sides hanging on every word. I hope I am right!!!
Hi really good post Worzel and good on yer Mum for taking computer lessons i think thats brill as for the sunday phone call half listen half watch tv thanks for that too thought i was the only one guilty of it i dont feel so bad now

Kay
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:54 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I've got the opposite problem - my parents are more than happy for me to go, but it is they who are wallowing in guilt because my mum has been very ill and it's not possible to leave unless she stages a miraculous recovery. We've kicked it about a bit but with things as they stand, there is no way I can leave my parents at this time, or for the foreseeable future. Add to that an aussie boyfriend who, after 4 years here with me, is homesick and wants to get back asap and I've got myself a pretty impossible situation.

I guess you can't have everything.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 2:03 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bundy
I've got the opposite problem - my parents are more than happy for me to go, but it is they who are wallowing in guilt because my mum has been very ill and it's not possible to leave unless she stages a miraculous recovery. We've kicked it about a bit but with things as they stand, there is no way I can leave my parents at this time, or for the foreseeable future. Add to that an aussie boyfriend who, after 4 years here with me, is homesick and wants to get back asap and I've got myself a pretty impossible situation.

I guess you can't have everything.
Sending you big Karma Bundy keep your chin up if i were in your shoes i wouldnt leave either but only you can make that decision try not to be influenced by others go with your heart

Kay
Old Oct 17th 2004, 12:37 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the same thing we're going through too. Seeing your children/grandchildren starting a new life on the other side of the globe is a very emmotional time.But as I say to my parents, It's a big world out there, and there's more to life than England, and with the technology we have these days, internet,web cams, phones, there will still be so much contact, and probably more to talk about than ever before. Wish you all the best, and keep positive.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

I agree with what everyone has said here- It is our life and parents should be supportive but in reality it doesnt always seem to work out that way does it ? !!

My husband told his mum and sister a couple of weeks ago and actually they took it quite well- Ofcourse they were sad but I had a long chat with my sister in law yesterday and she was saying that given half a chance they would do the same thing.

My father is a different matter- He is coming to stay next weekend with my step mum so that I can tell him- They live 3 hours away so it wasn't something I felt I could say over the phone- The house is now on the market and there is a big sign out front so the minute they walk in, they will see the sign and the whole thing can be said !!!!

My father has diabetes which is now really bad and he has been told that he cant fly that far so basically he will probably never be able to visit me.

Plus he keeps nagging me about having kids and being the last chance for grandchildren in this country ( sister is in Tasmania with 2 kids, brother is in germany with one kid) So not only do I have to break it to him that we are leaving , i also have to tell him that he will hardly ever see his grandchild ( if we ever get round to having one !)

Anyway knowing my father, he will probably put a brave face on it and my step mum will probably cry !!! I hate the thought of hurting them but I know they would want whats best for me.

Also small problem of a mother ill with a mental illness - havn't got a clue about how to tell her- aaahhhh

Sorry to go on !!!!

I am sure it will be OK for us all in the end
Old Oct 17th 2004, 11:51 am
Just Joined

netandneil is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey, it is good to hear that everyone feels in the same boat when it comes to the family. My parents on the face of it seem very supportive, but I know that they will miss us dearly when we go and visa versa. But my Husband's Dad, in particular though, is quite upset by the idea of us emigrating to Oz, and we haven't even set the Visa application in motion yet! (Husband needs to get his skills assessed by the TRA first, but all being well, should be okay). We recently visited Oz for the first time, and fell in love with the place, as we knew we would do before we even went. No kids as yet, but we are planning to have a family and so there is the heartbreaking thought that their grandparents will then miss out and that we and our future family will not have our own parents there with us. Although, to be honest, the way the UK is at the moment and the way it is headed, we do not know if we would want to have a family here (not that we could afford to here!). All in all, there is so much to think about, but we do know that we would not want to look back in 10 or 20 years time and think 'what if?'. Just hope we can get there and live the life that we are dreaming of.....