Reload this Page >

unemployment worries

unemployment worries

Old May 22nd 2009, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: unemployment worries

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But you originally said it is non-existent, yet it actually carries about 400,000 people each day. And it appears that it may now be about 400,001.

It may well be a poor service, but it does exist.
I was being facetious.
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Deancm
For Police yes permanent resident is required, citizenship for Military. Getting into the Vic Police takes ages and is very competitive. They are recruiting right now. Not a job I would want to do again. Military is better. How long you stay in the mil depends on the role you do. 4 years for general entry, 6 years for trades, 6 years for officer. (used to be 10 years for pilot in the Air Force). Once you are in you are in. No leaving after 2 years unless you can get a discharge on medical grounds.
Yea i cannot see myself in the army after looking more into it. I thought the police would be tight to get in alright, ill still be giving it my best shot as Job security is no. 1 on my list these days. Sparking is to fickle for my liking
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulg1770
Yea i cannot see myself in the army after looking more into it. I thought the police would be tight to get in alright, ill still be giving it my best shot as Job security is no. 1 on my list these days. Sparking is to fickle for my liking
Police Constable - c$50K

Sparky - my cousin is a sparky in Melb and he earns over $100K.

Actually, the Police are overworked and underpaid. I enjoyed myself for a while but it takes it's toll, especially on relationships.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

lovetv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Be aware that it may well be harder than you think.

I am normally pretty confident on living relatively inexpensively, once you know where to shop etc, but your figures for a new arrival especially, give me the shudders.....
Yep ABC, i am counting approx. and average but it may be increase.

OK, so $500/mth rent. That leaves you $300 for food and bills. A cycle? How far do you intend to ride to work? Public transport is non-existent. Cabs cost a fortune.

There is no way you will get by on $800/mth.
Deancm, as i am calculating approx and average values through internet and as i am single, i thought 300$ for grocery is ok but it may be increase, i agree.

I still need to confirm about transportation will see how pub. trans is working and if not good services thinking of buying a cycle. i am sure that my australian employer will be only concerned with time puncuality rather then mode of transportation i am using i.e. public, car or cycle.

You could exist on it but I would hardly call it living.
Well in the case of hard time like current recession, i would prefer to avoid misc. expenses like enjoying in night clubs, watching movies etc and will adjust with the conditions. I just seen today a site where it is mentioned that, now people in australia is using home entertainment methods to avoid expenses like Computer games, visiting relatives etc. a company harvey noman manager told that they have high number of interested clients came to buy home entertainment items.

Anyway, thanks guys for u r valuable suggestions. pls. keep suggesting.
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

Police Constable - c$50K

Sparky - my cousin is a sparky in Melb and he earns over $100K.

Actually, the Police are overworked and underpaid. I enjoyed myself for a while but it takes it's toll, especially on relationships.
I didnt know the police earn so little, surely there are added bonuses not reflected in the wages.
I worked as a spark in sydney before for a big company on large site installs and nobody was making $100K, thats not to say it cant be done but your cousin must be working OT to beat the band or is self employed. Correct me if im wrong. And who does he work for if hes not selfemployed, Ill defo be sending them my CV
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:17 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Ah you see you are too used to looking at the Gardai by western standards they are paid a small fortune. I know of no other country that pays there police more. Its easy to spot why no-one leaves the Gardai. whereas there are loads of ex vicpol knocking about.
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zambia
Ah you see you are too used to looking at the Gardai by western standards they are paid a small fortune. I know of no other country that pays there police more. Its easy to spot why no-one leaves the Gardai. whereas there are loads of ex vicpol knocking about.
lazy buggers alright! Still I think there is alot to be said for job security, plus someone on another thread somewhere was bragging about having 7 weeks off a year paid as police man in vic
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:06 am
Account Closed

I didnt know the police earn so little, surely there are added bonuses not reflected in the wages.
I worked as a spark in sydney before for a big company on large site installs and nobody was making $100K, thats not to say it cant be done but your cousin must be working OT to beat the band or is self employed. Correct me if im wrong. And who does he work for if hes not selfemployed, Ill defo be sending them my CV
Yeah, Police earn bugger all. You get overtime pay and shift allowances but don't expect to take home more than about $55K gross. They used to also get free McDonalds, don't know if that's still the case.

He's a sub-contractor now. Self employed is the only way to go.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:09 am
Account Closed

lazy buggers alright! Still I think there is alot to be said for job security, plus someone on another thread somewhere was bragging about having 7 weeks off a year paid as police man in vic
Yeah, you get good holidays. You need it.
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, Police earn bugger all. You get overtime pay and shift allowances but don't expect to take home more than about $55K gross. They used to also get free McDonalds, don't know if that's still the case.

He's a sub-contractor now. Self employed is the only way to go.
Well that is an option (subcontracting but a year or two down the road).

so would $55k be a poor income? Like would I have trouble getting a mortage on that kind of money? again this is in a few years time im talking. I like the look of frankston from what ive seen, it is reasonably priced about $400k for a nice sized house close to the beach