Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

unemployment worries

unemployment worries

Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

scampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant future
Question unemployment worries

We have had our visa for two years now, we had to wait til last year to try to go to australia due to childrens educationand gcse and a levels. We put our house on the market last april and then the credit crucnh and property crash. We have lowered it by 70,000 and still cannot sell. we have been talking to out contact in Brisbane and he says hundreds of poeple are being made unemployed. What are others considering doing? we desperatly want to go but are frightened of being homeless, penny less due to having to spend the capital when we get there and no job??
scampie is online now Add to scampie's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice
Default Re: unemployment worries

you should definitely go then. the more the merrier.
australia needs you. that's how the country got by in the last 10 years or so.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:06 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastere
Are you on Crack cocaine or do you just work around the cutting room.

OP You know your finances work here at present is scarce you will take a hit on the money you bring over think car , rent , food, licence fees for all sorts of things.

By all means come over but study every option carefully , you never know news could be good in a few weeks after the January Febuary slump in sales and recruitment.

Dont come here banking on an income coming in straight away.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:37 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lastere
Very irresponsible advice given the current employment outlook in Oz. :curse:
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:11 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Friends of ours arrived in Australia a little over six months ago.

They have not yet got employment.

They have burnt up their $80,000 "float"

They are geeting a bit desperate as they have no income but plenty of outgoings for a family of four.

Do not rush into things lightly. Australia will always be here.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:17 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jayr

They are geeting a bit desperate as they have no income but plenty of outgoings for a family of four.

Us too, coming up to six months, no employment, 2 kids to support
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:28 am

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr

Do there kids eat $50 notes .... geez thats a lot
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:36 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scampie
We have had our visa for two years now, we had to wait til last year to try to go to australia due to childrens educationand gcse and a levels. We put our house on the market last april and then the credit crucnh and property crash. We have lowered it by 70,000 and still cannot sell. we have been talking to out contact in Brisbane and he says hundreds of poeple are being made unemployed. What are others considering doing? we desperatly want to go but are frightened of being homeless, penny less due to having to spend the capital when we get there and no job??
scampie is online now Add to scampie's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message
A year ago I was in the 'just go for it' camp, so much so that I just went for it. Almost 6m on I'm still job hunting. Ecomomy is worse than I ever imagined and not improving. I'm not proud and admit it was a bad decision on timing, and I would hate for others to make the same mistake.

The majority of people who'll tell you to go are probably still in the UK. They have the same dreams and aspirations as I had before I left so I understand their perspective. But unless you have a job lined up it I'd stay put for the time being and reassess later.

Some of us here are now stuck between a rock and a hard place in that things are screwed here, yet no better in the uk - what to do? I can't rewind time but you still have a choice to postpone. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I think its worse than just immigrants looking for work. I am answering the phone to relatives in melbourne who are out of work for the first time in 30 years, plus his son and son in law he employed - Concreting business.

Or blokes who worked for us 5/6 years ago, they are are ringing every contact in their phone book, looking for work. These are experienced aussie tradies with all the right bits of paper and years of experience and contacts.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:56 am

Its odd I find actually

Here in Melbourne and in other big cities you cannot get a Job even in places like Coles. Yet in the Uk I am pretty sure you could get a job in Tescos no bother in a place like London, manchester. So you could almost argue its worse here that the UK.

So anyone in the UK reading this no one here is lying to you and as some have been accused of "Painting a bad picture to stop further expats competing for Jobs". The stories you here are genuine , come to Oz by all means buit avoid planning on assumptions like the below.

"I will get something, as I am prepared to do anything"

"My skills and experience are on the MODL list I will be fine"

"We will tighten our belts for the first few months"

By all means come down but bring a good war fund.

still shocked at $80,000 though that should last at least a year
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MTPockets
A year ago I was in the 'just go for it' camp, so much so that I just went for it. Almost 6m on I'm still job hunting. Ecomomy is worse than I ever imagined and not improving. I'm not proud and admit it was a bad decision on timing, and I would hate for others to make the same mistake.

The majority of people who'll tell you to go are probably still in the UK. They have the same dreams and aspirations as I had before I left so I understand their perspective. But unless you have a job lined up it I'd stay put for the time being and reassess later.

Some of us here are now stuck between a rock and a hard place in that things are screwed here, yet no better in the uk - what to do? I can't rewind time but you still have a choice to postpone. Good luck whatever you decide.
Good advice. For anyone that is planning to give up a job in the UK/elsewhere and having to sell a house at distress, think again.

I hear even casual/temp work that people seem to think they will find and which will meet basic expenses partially, is very hard to come by.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Its odd I find actually

Here in Melbourne and in other big cities you cannot get a Job even in places like Coles. Yet in the Uk I am pretty sure you could get a job in Tescos no bother in a place like London, manchester. So you could almost argue its worse here that the UK.

So anyone in the UK reading this no one here is lying to you and as some have been accused of "Painting a bad picture to stop further expats competing for Jobs". The stories you here are genuine , come to Oz by all means buit avoid planning on assumptions like the below.

"I will get something, as I am prepared to do anything"

"My skills and experience are on the MODL list I will be fine"

"We will tighten our belts for the first few months"

By all means come down but bring a good war fund.

still shocked at $80,000 though that should last at least a year

Our living expenses with no mortage and 2 kids at home are close to $1000 a week. Food and petrol alone are close to $500.

Then the stuff people buy to get set up, cars etc, you could plough through that easily. I know it sounds a lot but temp accomodation, couple of cars, rental bond, bit of furniture, set kids up for school, 6 months rent....

I've seen families arrive and spend $80,000 on just the 2 cars ( not saying this family did, but plenty do )
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:26 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kassy
Good advice. For anyone that is planning to give up a job in the UK/elsewhere and having to sell a house at distress, think again.

I hear even casual/temp work that people seem to think they will find and which will meet basic expenses partially, is very hard to come by.
Yes, I absolutely chuckle every time I see the phrase "I am prepared to take any work to get by initially, even stocking shelves at the supermarket".

The implication here is that this kind of work is a rock solid plan B and that they can just wander up to the local Coles, Safeway or Aldi and pick up this kind of work in 5 mins.

Clearly, the people who make these statements are ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS as to the competition for this kind of work.

Never ceases to amaze me to be honest.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Our living expenses with no mortage and 2 kids at home are close to $1000 a week. Food and petrol alone are close to $500.

Then the stuff people buy to get set up, cars etc, you could plough through that easily. I know it sounds a lot but temp accomodation, couple of cars, rental bond, bit of furniture, set kids up for school, 6 months rent....

I've seen families arrive and spend $80,000 on just the 2 cars ( not saying this family did, but plenty do )
Agree, it's very easy to plough through any cash brought over. It's really expensive to set up again even if you have bought all of your furniture with you. Second hand cars are really expensive here, I have also seen people spend over $50,000 just on a coupleof cars.

If I was in the OP's position I'd stick in the UK for now. At least you have money coming in. We came over nearly 9 years ago in what was a good climate and it still took my OH nearly 4 months to get a job then. A lot of that time was waiting to get the various licenses that he needed to actually work.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:51 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

If you sell the house now you have also lost £70,000 you might have had to use in Oz. Now is not a good time to leave a job wherever you want to go. However I can see that if you wait a year or two your kids may not want to come with you and they'll be old enough to choose for themselves (one is already if he/she is doing A levels).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.