Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info & Positivity Needed Urgently!!!

Info & Positivity Needed Urgently!!!

Old May 22nd 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Julian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really nice
Default Info & Positivity Needed Urgently!!!

Hi all,
Can anyone enlighten me with an honest and balanced opinion/experience of the employment situation in Oz (WA in particular).
I am very keen to hear from anyone on a student visa with its 20 hrs restrictions. I assumed it would always be more difficult to find work with these limitations at the best of times, let alone in this climate.
I am studying horticulture and landscaping in Perth in Feb 2010 but will be in Oz Dec 2009. Is this industry suffering like the rest, or has it miraculously escaped the recession?
Some of the stuff i have read on here has made two very positive people very anxious, stressed, confused and negative.
Cant believe after overcoming numerous hurdles in the last 18 months to reach a point where we are almost, there and "were" so excited by the thought of a fresh start, that its all coming apart after reading a very sobering thread on here!
We have started to talk about forgetting the whole thing and just getting on with our lives here instead. It would definitely be the easy option and we would feel a whole lot better in the short term....but the long term.... who knows?
Feel free to shower me with positivity!

Thanks in advance
J01 ::
Old May 22nd 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info & Positivity Needed Urgently!!!

Not going to shower you with positivity, although many of those to follow will doubtless advise you to 'go for it' and to 'have an adventure' .. as well as trotting out the 'you only live once so you might as well do it ', etc.

It's up to you, isn't it ? How much research have you undertaken ? What have you learned about employment in your chosen study-field, short, long and medium term ? How many firms exist in Perth who might offer you employment ? Have you contacted them to ask basic questions, such as how many people do they employ -- what is the staff turnover rate -- what's the average salary for people already doing what you hope to do ?

I gather you'll be attending TAFE if you proceed with your move to Perth ? TAFE generally claims that a high percentage of graduates have found employment within x-number of months, years. But how many actually end up employed in the field they studied at TAFE ? And how many only manage to find part-time employment, even after 2 years ?

What you need to bear in mind is that TAFE and Australia, are selling themselves. They're 'industries, just like any other. They want customers and like all salespeople, they're going to talk themselves up, not down.

Are you studying horticulture at the moment ? If so, what are your prospects re employment in the country in which you currently reside?

People sometimes become so caught up in the migration process that they forget to look at what's at the other end of all their determined struggle to be accepted. They keep a vision firmly at the front of their mind -- see themselves tanned and laughing like something out of a tv-commercial, surrounded by 'friendly Aussies' and drenched in permanent sunlight and tropical fruits. And they tell themselves that 'everything will all work out, once we get there'. But, of course, Australia has unemployment, the same as anywhere else. It has a small population -- 21 million. So that's your employment base. A bit of research wouldn't go astray, would it ?

' Grass is always greener ' they say. Meaning, it's not necessarily greener at all .. it just appears to be.

The other thing to bear in mind is the very old adage: ' When in doubt .. don't'.

Oh .. and ' Rolling stones gather no moss' (two out of three sound as if they were coined with horticulture as their theme :-) )
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. Honestly I do. We've decided to give it a try but we have family in Perth with contacts in the building industry. That however, is no guarantee that work will come my way but the way I see it is that I'd rather give my family 2 years in Perth and say we gave it our best shot (even if that means begging for a job or receiving very little cash in wages) than sitting it out here in the UK with a whatif attitude.

As I have said in a previous thread time is against me as I am 42 so it is now or never. We've got other deciding factors like redundancy pushing us towards giving Oz a try.

I can't tell you to go or to stay. You need to weigh up all the pros and cons for you and your family.

I don't know how things will be in the next few months yet alone for you at the end of the year. It all depends on you and your personal circumstances.

It's such a hard decision to make. Good luck with your decision. You don't need to apply for your visa until 4 months prior to the course starting so you don't have to make a rushed decision.
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what the situation is like in WA but there is definitely no shortage of gardening work in Northern QLD. Hopefully the same in Perth.
Can the TAFE not give you any contacts?
Lots of luck
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:27 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Julian01
I am studying horticulture and landscaping in Perth in Feb 2010 but will be in Oz Dec 2009. Is this industry suffering like the rest, or has it miraculously escaped the recession?
The world recession has hit the confidence levels in Australia, but hasn't affected the country as badly as the others. In fact, we are still not in an official recession yet.

Employers are nervous, and reluctant to employ where it can be avoided.

Once the recession ends.. in theory, things will pick up again, in the same way that they have, following past recessions.

There is talk that 2010 will be the recovery.

You still have 6 months before you arrive. My gut feeling is that you 'may' just arrive at the right time.

Old May 23rd 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Julian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really niceJulian01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by folic
Not going to shower you with positivity, although many of those to follow will doubtless advise you to 'go for it' and to 'have an adventure' .. as well as trotting out the 'you only live once so you might as well do it ', etc.

It's up to you, isn't it ? How much research have you undertaken ? What have you learned about employment in your chosen study-field, short, long and medium term ? How many firms exist in Perth who might offer you employment ? Have you contacted them to ask basic questions, such as how many people do they employ -- what is the staff turnover rate -- what's the average salary for people already doing what you hope to do ?

I gather you'll be attending TAFE if you proceed with your move to Perth ? TAFE generally claims that a high percentage of graduates have found employment within x-number of months, years. But how many actually end up employed in the field they studied at TAFE ? And how many only manage to find part-time employment, even after 2 years ?

What you need to bear in mind is that TAFE and Australia, are selling themselves. They're 'industries, just like any other. They want customers and like all salespeople, they're going to talk themselves up, not down.

Are you studying horticulture at the moment ? If so, what are your prospects re employment in the country in which you currently reside?

People sometimes become so caught up in the migration process that they forget to look at what's at the other end of all their determined struggle to be accepted. They keep a vision firmly at the front of their mind -- see themselves tanned and laughing like something out of a tv-commercial, surrounded by 'friendly Aussies' and drenched in permanent sunlight and tropical fruits. And they tell themselves that 'everything will all work out, once we get there'. But, of course, Australia has unemployment, the same as anywhere else. It has a small population -- 21 million. So that's your employment base. A bit of research wouldn't go astray, would it ?

' Grass is always greener ' they say. Meaning, it's not necessarily greener at all .. it just appears to be.

The other thing to bear in mind is the very old adage: ' When in doubt .. don't'.

Oh .. and ' Rolling stones gather no moss' (two out of three sound as if they were coined with horticulture as their theme :-) )
Balanced opinions are what i need not blind faith, and that is what you have given me, so thank you for that.
I dont believe we fall into the 'everything will all work out, once we get there' camp (which is a valid point), if we did i dont think i would have posted this thread in the first place.
I cant argue with any of your points.
What has become clear to me is that i thought i had done loads of research, and i have, but not in all aspects of the move. More will be done before a final decision either way.
Thank you again.
Old May 23rd 2009, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eeksy
I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. Honestly I do. We've decided to give it a try but we have family in Perth with contacts in the building industry. That however, is no guarantee that work will come my way but the way I see it is that I'd rather give my family 2 years in Perth and say we gave it our best shot (even if that means begging for a job or receiving very little cash in wages) than sitting it out here in the UK with a whatif attitude.

As I have said in a previous thread time is against me as I am 42 so it is now or never. We've got other deciding factors like redundancy pushing us towards giving Oz a try.

I can't tell you to go or to stay. You need to weigh up all the pros and cons for you and your family.

I don't know how things will be in the next few months yet alone for you at the end of the year. It all depends on you and your personal circumstances.

It's such a hard decision to make. Good luck with your decision. You don't need to apply for your visa until 4 months prior to the course starting so you don't have to make a rushed decision.
Your situation sounds very similar to ours.
I will pm you.
Old May 23rd 2009, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I don't know what the situation is like in WA but there is definitely no shortage of gardening work in Northern QLD. Hopefully the same in Perth.
Can the TAFE not give you any contacts?
Lots of luck
Thats encouraging.
A lot more research on my part is to be done.
Thank you.
Old May 23rd 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The world recession has hit the confidence levels in Australia, but hasn't affected the country as badly as the others. In fact, we are still not in an official recession yet.

Employers are nervous, and reluctant to employ where it can be avoided.

Once the recession ends.. in theory, things will pick up again, in the same way that they have, following past recessions.

There is talk that 2010 will be the recovery.

You still have 6 months before you arrive. My gut feeling is that you 'may' just arrive at the right time.
Thats my feeling/hope too.
I read things on here and it paints an awful picture (worse than the UK!), but then i speak to fiends who live all over Oz and they tell a different story. Ok some will paint a more positive picture because they a keen to get us out there with them, but others will tell us as it is. Either way none of them make me feel as bad as some of the posts on this site.
I have a new mantra..... 'research,research,research!!!'
Thank you
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:33 am
ABCDiamond

some will paint a more positive picture because they a keen to get us out there with them, but others will tell us as it is.
There is a definate third group that you have not mentioned... the ones that mention only the negatives, and expand those negatives...

It does become difficult to really know what to believe, but you have to try to read between the lines at times.

When I went through my own negative phase, I didn't have anything good to say about this country, but my attitude/opinions and circumstances have now changed by a good 180 degrees.

Old May 23rd 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There is a definate third group that you have not mentioned... the ones that mention only the negatives, and expand those negatives...

It does become difficult to really know what to believe, but you have to try to read between the lines at times.

When I went through my own negative phase, I didn't have anything good to say about this country, but my attitude/opinions and circumstances have now changed by a good 180 degrees.
'this country'..... UK or Oz?
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

'this country'..... UK or Oz?
Oz.....the clue is in his "location" (below his avatar)
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Oz.....the clue is in his "location" (below his avatar)
Good job its not like yours (Oz, UK/San Diego) that would really fox me
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Good job its not like yours (Oz, UK/San Diego) that would really fox me
LOL - it confuses everyone!