Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

unemployment worries

unemployment worries

Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:11 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: unemployment worries

Originally Posted by chuckie76
jeez this sounds as grim as home! one question - does a company who sponsors me under a 457 visa shell out much money in getting me over to oz? What i am getting at is whether i could go over on a 457 and be given the bulet in 6 months if finances keep slipping?

also 457 visa holders arent entitled to any dole or welfare?
Sorry but a 457 does not protect you from being let go.

And even a 175 PR visa denies you the dole for 2 years.

As for grim we are all quite accepting the facts and just stating them so no one comes over here because their Aunt Nellie heard a news story on the BBC in 2005 that Australia was desperate for workers.

The moral of the story is that if you are coming to Australia thinking you will get a job easily, you could not be more self-deluded if you had access to the latest self - deluding machine on the most self deluded day of your life.

If you are coming over well prepared for a lack of immediate work you should be right.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

chris39 is an unknown quantity at this point

what was not mentioned in this rant which is a good one is !! most people who emigrate were not told that our nvqs were no good once in aus ,.if they would have bothered to attain an australian qualification before hand they would have stood a better chance of getting a job.Ive researched every avenue even down to where new water mains are being fitted to scrub areas as eventually new building will start also researched expanding towns. Some people think lets go and live where the sun shines all year round ,but they seem to forget they still have to work in order to survive!!

Some people think the jobs will find them or i will just dazzle them with my cv thats a load of bull.Show the aussies that you respect them gain their qualifications at great expense!!! and they might just show us immigrants some respect!! There are jobs out there!!! research!!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:20 pm

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris39
what was not mentioned in this rant which is a good one is !! most people who emigrate were not told that our nvqs were no good once in aus ,.if they would have bothered to attain an australian qualification before hand they would have stood a better chance of getting a job.Ive researched every avenue even down to where new water mains are being fitted to scrub areas as eventually new building will start also researched expanding towns. Some people think lets go and live where the sun shines all year round ,but they seem to forget they still have to work in order to survive!!

Some people think the jobs will find them or i will just dazzle them with my cv thats a load of bull.Show the aussies that you respect them gain their qualifications at great expense!!! and they might just show us immigrants some respect!! There are jobs out there!!! research!!
Hmm yes ranting is bad isnt it.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

And another thing !! I think the time to start really worrying is when migration agents start shutting up shop!!! I bet DIAC wont be making cuts !!!!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:15 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
The moral of the story is that if you are coming to Australia thinking you will get a job easily, you could not be more self-deluded if you had access to the latest self - deluding machine on the most self deluded day of your life....
...... and if that self-deluding machine was sold to you by the most self-deluded salesman who came top of his self-deluded class
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Not to scare people but this article;
No Insulation against bitter reality is well worth reading.
The upshot is that the full force of the global recession has yet to hit Australia fully.
If you're coming over now you really need to;
- have done your research as to areas, skills, likely local employers, living costs
- have all the savings you can possibly beg, scrimp and borrow
- have your CV and educational / professional certificates all ready and good to go
- be realistic as to what you might get

I personally would agree with those saying that, unless you have a job already lined up here, you don't come over just yet.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

And just for the sake of balance:
Online job ads fall 12% in January
But there are still 200,000 job advertisements on the major employment online sites indicating organisations are still hiring, Mr Olivier said.

"Candidates shouldn't get dragged down by the gloom."
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice

i think the bottom line is that there is a problem with the economy worldwide , this is due to many factors , goverment [ goverments ] , banks etc , but i feel that the press, media are a lot to blame in the slow recovery of this situation , they are forever going on about how bad things are in the uk / worldwide , and instead of painting a doom and gloom situation maybe they should do something constructive , they really p--s me off , the economy will eventually pull right later than sooner , THANKS TO THE PRESS .
Fact is that we are not going to die , some of us are going to go through some kind of hardship but will come out alright , because of determination , the fact that we have children , friends and family who will help , basicly we pull together in crap situations and get through because that is basic human survival instinct . so all the people who read this who work in the media industry please take note and stop making the situation worse than it actually is .
i am sure that everybody will achieve their goal , just dont give up .

Last edited by 571090; Feb 8th 2009 at 2:27 am.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Give this man a medal that is exactky the way i see things. Ive been thinking exactly the same for about 6 months so much so i dont think ive bought a newspaper for about 3 years!!! their the ones who should be left on the scrap heap !! DOOM MERCHANTS!!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Sorry about spelling usually quite good
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:18 am

No one is saying don't go, just be carefull.

If someone warns you your about to drive into wet weather do you slow down or speed up cause if you crash the fire brigade will come pull you out.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Post Re: unemployment worries

job situation is going to get worst the world over.... got no real solution
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

I don't believe it! I have spent the best part of a year trying to convince my wife that moving to Aus will be a good move. Now after reading this thread she does not want to go. This is not a complaint by the way but thanks for truth. My last chance - what about teaching jobs in WA are they difficult to get as well because I thought they had a huge shortage??
Keep smiling
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
I don't believe it! I have spent the best part of a year trying to convince my wife that moving to Aus will be a good move. Now after reading this thread she does not want to go. This is not a complaint by the way but thanks for truth. My last chance - what about teaching jobs in WA are they difficult to get as well because I thought they had a huge shortage??
Keep smiling
Less of a shortage now that superannuation funds have been shafted and the mines are collapsing. This time last year there were 180 or so vacancies in WA schools. This year there were 8.

Having said that, the Dept for Ed might still be recruiting - I'd give them a call and ask them if it is worth putting an application together.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:48 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Applications by employers for 457 visas for prospective employees are down about 23%.

Anyone on a 457 visa does not qualify for state handouts. Worse, if they are made redundant they essentially have 28 days to a) get a new visa b) leave the country or c)become an illegal immigrant.

My wife's contract has rcently come to an end and she is unemplyed for the first time in 4.5 years. The reduction in income means all our previous expenditure on things like going out, takeaway food, short domestic holidays, new clothes are all on hold.

This is the first time in my 16 year career that I am genuinely concerned about losing my own job and the prospects of being employed elsewhere.

New arrivals without jobs to arrive to will find it more difficult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.