Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unemployment July 2009

Unemployment July 2009

Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:21 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment July 2009

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
So for job security we should work in the Netherlands!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Should we NOT believe that unemployment is actually going up then ?

The newspapers are saying it is, and you say we shouldn't believe what we read ...
I was replying to a post on media, not unemployment.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Of course it has been going up. That's what my earlier figures have been showing...

But the same as the US ?
  • US unemployment 9.5%
  • Australia unemployment 5.8%
Hmm, maybe both going up, but i'd rather be a worker in Australia than in the US. What about you ?
Of course I'd rather be a worker in Aus. My point was unemployment has gone up 50% here and the US in the last 12 months. The US is supposed to be a basket case regarding their economy but the rate of unemployment is the same and our rate is worse than UK. I would of thought the US would of deteriorated faster than Aus, not so.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by northernlights
The US is supposed to be a basket case regarding their economy
Which might explain why the US has almost twice the unemployment rate as Australia.
And it has risen faster over the last two years of this crisis.
  • The Unemployment rate in the USA in July 2007 was 4.6%, it is now 9.5% a 106% increase.
  • In the same 2 year period the Australian rate has gone from 4.3% to 5.8%, a 34% increase.

and our rate is worse than UK.
The UK is quoted as 7.5%
Australia is 5.8%

Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Which might explain why the US has almost twice the unemployment rate as Australia.
And it has risen faster over the last two years of this crisis.
  • The Unemployment rate in the USA in July 2007 was 4.6%, it is now 9.5% a 106% increase.
  • In the same 2 year period the Australian rate has gone from 4.3% to 5.8%, a 34% increase.

The UK is quoted as 7.5%
Australia is 5.8%
I was refering to the chart YOU posted.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:05 am
ABCDiamond

I was refering to the chart YOU posted.
You mean the chart in this article that YOU referred me to earlier...

Bear in mind that these wages are for FULL TIME workers. Here’s a few snippets on what else is happening in Australian employment.

Full-time employment decreased by 16,000 and part-time employment increased by 48,200 in July. So people losing full time work and gaining part time, not a sign of a booming economy.