Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average Wages May 2009

Average Wages May 2009

Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:05 am
ABCDiamond

Default Average Wages May 2009

Australian Average Wages May 2009

Figures released on 13th August 2009 show the May 2009 average wages as follows:

Trend Estimates (before the addition of the 9% Super)

Full Time Total earnings
  • Male $1,346.10 pw (69,997 pa)
  • Female $1,074.80 pw ($55,890 pa)
Full-time adult total earnings rose by 5.6% for males and 5.0% for females, in the twelve months to May 2009.

Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Average Wages May 2009

Thanks for sharing this. There aren't many factual posts around here.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Australian Average Wages May 2009

Figures released on 13th August 2009 show the May 2009 average wages as follows:

Trend Estimates (before the addition of the 9% Super)

Full Time Total earnings
  • Male $1,346.10 pw (69,997 pa)
  • Female $1,074.80 pw ($55,890 pa)
Full-time adult total earnings rose by 5.6% for males and 5.0% for females, in the twelve months to May 2009.
Which now puts average Oz wage much higher than the average UK wage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ic-sector.html

That may seem like a real plus point, but long term its a big problem for Australia. I was moved to Oz by my company almost four years ago from the UK because Oz staff were 'cheap'. No longer, and global companies will be looking closely at staff costs in Australia.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Hi ABCDiamond

As usual you alway come out with some thing informative, keep it up mate.

BTW, How about getting average wage info, occupation wise, My interest in in wages for Chef's

thanks
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:41 pm
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

Ditto
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That may seem like a real plus point, but long term its a big problem for Australia. I was moved to Oz by my company almost four years ago from the UK because Oz staff were 'cheap'. No longer, and global companies will be looking closely at staff costs in Australia.
If your company moved its operations to Oz on the basis of cost I would suggest thier management skills are somewhat lacking, to say the least. An aberration given their otherwise excellent decisions in choosing staff, I'm sure
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James516
If your company moved its operations to Oz on the basis of cost I would suggest thier management skills are somewhat lacking, to say the least. An aberration given their otherwise excellent decisions in choosing staff, I'm sure
Depends on the industry. IT staff were about 15-20% cheaper here in Oz than the equivalent people in the UK. Could have been worse... we could have seen it all go to India.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Which now puts average Oz wage much higher than the average UK wage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ic-sector.html

The figures I am quoting are the Full Time average wages. Not sure what the UK rates are quoted as, but possibly an average of all workers, including part time ?
The average wage in Britain, including bonuses, fell by 0.4 per cent in the three months March to £24,000
It is often said that Australia has a lot more part time workers than the UK, so a Full Time v Full Time wage comparison is more relevant to most people.

I may be wrong about the UK rates, looking at this from statistics.gov.uk, it seems they may be quoting full time after all.
In April 2008, UK Full Time wages were reported as being £479 pw or [x$x] £24,908 pa (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285)
The current Australian all persons Full time rate conversion is:
Thursday, August 13, 2009
64,662 Australian Dollar = 32,464.0 British Pound
If this FX rate stays as it is, expect to see more Australians on holiday in the UK soon

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Aug 13th 2009 at 10:13 pm. Reason: $ to £ sign correction

Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:08 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

The figures I am quoting are the Full Time average wages. Not sure what the UK rates are quoted as, but possibly an average of all workers, including part time ?

It is often said that Australia has a lot more part time workers than the UK, so a Full Time v Full Time wage comparison is more relevant to most people.

I may be wrong about the UK rates, looking at this from statistics.gov.uk, it seems they may be quoting full time after all.
In April 2008, UK Full Time wages were reported as being £479 pw or $24,908 pa (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285)
If this FX rate stays as it is, expect to see more Australians on holiday in the UK soon

Top post ABC but should the highlighted read £ not $ ??

Its great to see though that a half decent wage can be had in Oz compared to England lets hope they can keep it that way

AGian thanks for a informative off the cuff thread

Dougie
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE

Its great to see though that a half decent wage can be had in Oz compared to England lets hope they can keep it that way

AGian thanks for a informative off the cuff thread

Dougie
I would not be impressed to be paid dollars in the UK.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:18 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kporte
I would not be impressed to be paid dollars in the UK.
Me niether thats why its been edited

Dougie
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

In April 2008, UK Full Time wages were reported as being £479 pw or [x$x] £24,908 pa (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285)
I've got a couple of questions:

1. Do you know what the updated household income is? I assume that adding the two would be too crude...?
2. Any idea how 'inflated' the exchange rate is?

For 2, I suppose I'm talking about PPP - from my experience I doubt that an Aus equivalent wage of 32KGBP can actually buy 32KGBP worth of goods in the UK....?
Is the Big Mac index the only option...?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:37 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

The USA average weekly wages in 2008 Q4 was $USA 918 or $USA 47,736 per year.

At the then exchange rate of ~$US 0.67 / $A 1, $A 71,247.

At today's exchange rate of ~$USA 0.84 / $A 1, $A 56,828.

The USA publicizes median and mean (average) wages.

To compare, the variously defined "average wage" in different contries, exchange rates and time need to be considered.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:38 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are too many vagaries for anything sensible to be drawn

The Telegraph article was based upon an error http://www.ons.gov.uk/about/newsroom...se-of-lms.html

The correct ONS stats they got them from says "Average earnings, both excluding and including bonuses, increased by 2.5 per cent in the
three months to June 2009 compared with the previous year. The excluding bonuses growth rate is the lowest since comparable records began in 2001."
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/lmsbrief0809.pdf

As it is, you aren't sure if the ABS and the UK ONS stats are even remotely comparable - whether they measure full-time or all-time and whether they are median or mean. Until you can get stats from a similar date and ensure they are based upon the same samples using the same statistical measurement then you are comparing apples with oranges.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Yep Now fixed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.