Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this true when you buy new TV in QLD,

Is this true when you buy new TV in QLD,

Old Dec 11th 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Tamworth U.K.- Brisbane Very Soon Now Visa Granted!!
Graff will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is this true when you buy new TV in QLD,

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Interested to hear you can surge protectors for the phones too.
Yes you can, click on this link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Surge-Protec...&node=10392481
or do a google search.

Originally Posted by Dicko
I would question the price ? but since when does lightning travel thru' washing powder???
It would do if the powder was damp
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks graff!

Until I read this thread, it had never entered my head that you could get them. I will be purchasing some asap as we have been hit twice by lightening. Although it only took the phones out the second time. Don't want a repeat of this!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Ok now you are all scareing me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:07 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Ok now you are all scareing me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope your not moving to the Gold COast, last years storm ( prehaps yr before ) i think, 22,000 strikes in 1 hr !
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:57 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they would do much against a lightning strike.

Best thing would be to go and buy a flux capacitor

Originally Posted by cresta57
We have a couple of UPS's they have surge protection built in & protect against brownouts as well. They were < $100 each.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:16 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
We just bought TV in the GC, well the sale person told my OH, people who buys TV in QLD need to buy this extension, for their TV, DVD, Ariel, PC, & their satellite, he said when you get the storms & lighting, it would go through your Ariel which would burn your TV & all other things connected to your TV, he said doesnt even have to be on.
Is this right has any of you burned your TV during the lighting storm.
The extension is only $545. dead cheap.
Hey
I have a surge protector for my TV,DVD,PS3 etc and also one for my PC / Modem.

They are both Belkin bought from Harvey Normans for around $150.00 but they GUARENTEE protection for your equipment. If your gear is damaged during a storm they will replace.....well worth the cost when you consider cost of replacing individual items
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:17 am
Precociously Stupid

TsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant future

our telly blew up in a lightening storm. Had a bit of a problem with the insurance company (are you SURE it was the lightning that blew up your tv? Yes you bloody idiot, there was a big bang, lots of light, a little smoke and then the TV stopped working!) but got a much nicer one from them in the end.

Surge protectors are worth it, but they're only $50 - $100 usually! They won't SURVIVE the storms but whatever they're protecting should.

Best protection is to unplug everything really - whenever you go out during storm season if you return late at night (most storms are late afternoon) or just whenever a storm hits

and yeah, that includes the phone lines.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:23 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

[Put em back on the new appliances and they will all be fused independantly !!!

Only the Live was fused in a UK plug top. Lightning goes thru the lot(Live , Neutral and Earth)

Best way is to install a surge protector at the main switch board(via a licensed electrician like me) then you dont need all the extension this... extension that.. around the house everywhere.

Can get them fitted from $190+GST .

Darren
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tillysmum
we have just bought a new tv and computer chap in shop recommended a single surge protector for high voltage strikes about $50 not forgetting one for telephone socket if you have computer connected. He had recently lost loads of white goods when lightening hit his local sub station and wasnt covered on insurance as seen as act of god
our washing machine blew up a couple of weeks ago after an electrical storm/power surge. the lady at harvey norman said they see it all the time, even if there's not a storm there are these energex power surges that can cause your equip to blow up -mainly washing machines and fridges. i never knew (she said most people don't realise and energex don't like to admit it).

anyway, any equip damage should (hopefully) be covered on your insurance. mine was and they paid up straight away (had to get the repair guy out to verify first) - NRMA.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:06 pm
Precociously Stupid

TsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rabsody
our washing machine blew up a couple of weeks ago after an electrical storm/power surge. the lady at harvey norman said they see it all the time, even if there's not a storm there are these energex power surges that can cause your equip to blow up -mainly washing machines and fridges. i never knew (she said most people don't realise and energex don't like to admit it).

anyway, any equip damage should (hopefully) be covered on your insurance. mine was and they paid up straight away (had to get the repair guy out to verify first) - NRMA.
Oh wait. If you live in a richer neighbourhood, you prob won't need one, because the power grids are better there

Yet another thing Energex don't like to admit!