Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too Early to Jack It All In????

Too Early to Jack It All In????

Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too Early to Jack It All In????

Originally Posted by spartacus
Totally agree. Tuesday today . . . you could home in time for Eastenders on Thursday.
Have a stopover in Singapore and catch the Omnibus edition at the weekend.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

We came over in March and I have to say I found it extremly hard the 1st 6months. We didnt know a single soul and also came from a smaller city.

I forced myself to get out in the community by going to playgroup and joining clubs I was interested in so I and my kids could meet people.

Last night my hubby and I just said that we feel now we have made the right decision by coming here, he is doing really well with the job he is in and we have now made friends and are being invited places which always makes things better.

The thing we like the most is the weather and all the things that we can do with the kids. I have a 10y girl and nearly 2 year old and we live in the nth of Brisbane, if you want to meet up and meet some new ppl then pm and we can get in touch, always makes it better when you have people to talk to who have recently been in the same situation as you.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:50 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everyone else. After 25 years I just realised this place is the pits. Endless sun, no recession, no Corrie, hard to get fish and chips. No ice on the car windscreen. I cant even watch Crossroads.

Having read the thread “Is Australia Overrated” I have set my mind on going back as well.

What is Eastenders?
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I agree with everyone else. After 25 years I just realised this place is the pits. Endless sun, no recession, no Corrie, hard to get fish and chips. No ice on the car windscreen. I cant even watch Crossroads.

Having read the thread “Is Australia Overrated” I have set my mind on going back as well.

What is Eastenders?
Lol
What is Crossroads?
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

What is Eastenders?
If you take everything that's shit about the UK, gather it all up into a huge stinking mire, and then compress it, under enormous pressures, until it is a fraction of its original size . . . a tiny foul nugget so to speak . . . and then broadcast that foul nugget on prime time tv, every weekday evening with an omnisbus edition on Sunday afternoons . . . that is Eastenders . . .
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:12 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmralston
Lol
What is Crossroads?
Crossroads.

Meg Richardson and her motel staff!!! Amy Turtle, Miss Diane, Carlos the Chef, David Hunter, Shughie McFee, and of course the 'village idiot' Benny .

Used to be on TV every night. Crap like that made me leave the UK, but people loved it. Hope it is still on.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Crossroads.

Meg Richardson and her motel staff!!! Amy Turtle, Miss Diane, Carlos the Chef, David Hunter, Shughie McFee, and of course the 'village idiot' Benny .

Used to be on TV every night. Crap like that made me leave the UK, but people loved it. Hope it is still on.
You've been away for some time I see . . . sadly it went off . . . but then came back on again . . . but then went back off again . . .
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:30 am
Not allowed opinions.

If you take everything that's shit about the UK, gather it all up into a huge stinking mire, and then compress it, under enormous pressures, until it is a fraction of its original size . . . a tiny foul nugget so to speak . . . and then broadcast that foul nugget on prime time tv, every weekday evening with an omnisbus edition on Sunday afternoons . . . that is Eastenders . . .
Thanks, but I don’t understand. Why would anyone want to watch that?

Cant they see that by opening the front door?

Any why are they watching TV anyway? They can be out in the sun, playing sport, sailing, having a BBQ with friends, tennis, in the pool, down on the beach.

This isn’t making a lot of sense to me.

Next you will be telling me petrol is more that 2 pounds a gallon and beer more than 1 pound a pint.

You are pulling my leg in the time honoured English humour way.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

We arrived in October 2004, both the children were waiting for Grade 1 and preschool in the January, it was hard, I used to wander around the local shopping centre with the kids knowing I wouldn't bump into anybody I knew and that was hard, however we started going to the local parks, christmas came and went and the kids started school, I made friends the kids made friends and now been here just over 5 years and wouldn't consider ever going back.

It is so hard the first few weeks, the first New Year I could have easily have jumped on the next plane home, but things get better and life moves on and the friends you have in the UK will still be there, give it another few months, wait till the kids go to school, your wife will find work and will find friends and life will seem a little bit brighter.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks, but I don’t understand. Why would anyone want to watch that?

Cant they see that by opening the front door?

Any why are they watching TV anyway? They can be out in the sun, playing sport, sailing, having a BBQ with friends, tennis, in the pool, down on the beach.

This isn’t making a lot of sense to me.

Next you will be telling me petrol is more that 2 pounds a gallon and beer more than 1 pound a pint.

You are pulling my leg in the time honoured English humour way.
No leg-pulling on my behalf . . . I'm as confuddled as your goodself . . .
Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That has to be the best description of Deadenders I've ever heard. Karma for that.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

liamandsaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That has to be the best description of Deadenders I've ever heard. Karma for that.
Hi There,
We'd lived in New Zealand and France before coming here. I knew by 2 weeks that france wasn't for me and dragged it out for 9 months because i thought we had to give it a fair go. It cost us a bloody fortune!!! Even though that first year was tough in NZ and we've had similar experiences here - We knew we were where we wanted to be and both places were the right places to be at that time. It really is a tough question - how long? I think you have to try to seperate the general level of homesickness , missing friends and family, work, support systems etc that you would clearly expect to feel on arrival in a new country from do you think this is a place where you could be happy once you've got over all those other things? Hope that makes sense. I wish at times we'd listened to our gut instincts in France (though we had some wonderful experiences there). Fortunately we'd had our very positive NZ experience to compare it with and knew that it wasn't a matter of time.
Best of luck with your decision
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Actually real Eastenders are not a bad sort...friendly bunch.

Used to walk into the local with a mate and all the girls would say 'Hello Boys!'.

If they forgot, they said 'Bye Boys' when we left..
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Actually real Eastenders are not a bad sort...friendly bunch.

Used to walk into the local with a mate and all the girls would say 'Hello Boys!'.

If they forgot, they said 'Bye Boys' when we left..
I entirely agree.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

spence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nice

I returned to the UK after 7 months. There were one or two things not going right but my wife wanted to return especially. I knew as soon as I got on the plane I was making the wrong decision and have applied for a 175 and hope to return sometime. Been an expensive mistake but it took coming home for my wife to realise we were better where we were. I just wish I listened more to myself at the time and stuck it out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.