Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tipping in Singapore

Tipping in Singapore

Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tipping in Singapore

Hi, a quick question for all you seasoned travellers who have been to Singapore. What's the form regarding tipping for services ?
Is it similar to the US where you tip for pretty much everything or more like in the UK ?
Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping in Singapore

Originally Posted by PHIZA
Hi, a quick question for all you seasoned travellers who have been to Singapore. What's the form regarding tipping for services ?
Is it similar to the US where you tip for pretty much everything or more like in the UK ?
Officially it is discouraged.

Usually apprecited though.

Some people starting to expect it.

Tipping is not the norm.

Have a good trip.

G
Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:31 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Most places add a 10% "gratuity" to the bill but the Singapoeans are too polite anyway to stand with their hands out like they do in the US. I'm told it's not unusual to leave the very small change on top of the included 10% but it's more to do with saving your trousers!

Taxis tend to be tipped sparingly: make the meter up to the next "reasonable" amount. IOW if the meter says $14.60 ask for $4 change from $20.

Question I've been meaning to ask for ages: What's the tipping scene in Oz like? I've been there many many times but I've never really worked it out! I know that in NZ it is considered not quite the done thing. In Japan of course it most certainly is not the done thing - and the service is impeccable! In the UK a tip is expected whether service is bad or merely also-ran. In the US of A it's compulsory with the aid of a sub machine gun if necessary. But Oz? I just don't know if you tip for haircuts, etc!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:33 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere in the middle!
Tip about 10% for good service.
It will be apprecaited when you give it.
It won't be unapprecaited if you don't (unlike the US that expect tips no matter the quality of service).

Andrew
Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, I was a bit worried about offending the locals if it was frowned upon!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

No its not the norm to tip in Singapore. As said above - its already on the bill. Taxis - again only to round it up and if I had a crazy driver -no tiP!
IMO - If a visitor tips in Asia it might have a knock on effect for the locals who earn a lot less than you. show gratitude with a smile and be friendly. The Singaporeans are keen to attract tourists they want to come across as hospitable not money grabbing.