British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tipping in Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tipping-singapore-249946/)

PHIZA Aug 20th 2004 1:20 pm

Tipping in Singapore

Hi, a quick question for all you seasoned travellers who have been to Singapore. What's the form regarding tipping for services ? :confused:
Is it similar to the US where you tip for pretty much everything or more like in the UK ?

Grayling Aug 20th 2004 1:25 pm

Re: Tipping in Singapore

Originally Posted by PHIZA
Hi, a quick question for all you seasoned travellers who have been to Singapore. What's the form regarding tipping for services ? :confused:
Is it similar to the US where you tip for pretty much everything or more like in the UK ?

Officially it is discouraged.

Usually apprecited though.

Some people starting to expect it.

Tipping is not the norm.

Have a good trip.

G

Wol Aug 20th 2004 1:31 pm

Most places add a 10% "gratuity" to the bill but the Singapoeans are too polite anyway to stand with their hands out like they do in the US. I'm told it's not unusual to leave the very small change on top of the included 10% but it's more to do with saving your trousers!

Taxis tend to be tipped sparingly: make the meter up to the next "reasonable" amount. IOW if the meter says $14.60 ask for $4 change from $20.

Question I've been meaning to ask for ages: What's the tipping scene in Oz like? I've been there many many times but I've never really worked it out! I know that in NZ it is considered not quite the done thing. In Japan of course it most certainly is not the done thing - and the service is impeccable! In the UK a tip is expected whether service is bad or merely also-ran. In the US of A it's compulsory with the aid of a sub machine gun if necessary. But Oz? I just don't know if you tip for haircuts, etc!

andrew63 Aug 20th 2004 1:33 pm

Somewhere in the middle!
Tip about 10% for good service.
It will be apprecaited when you give it.
It won't be unapprecaited if you don't (unlike the US that expect tips no matter the quality of service).

Andrew

PHIZA Aug 20th 2004 1:52 pm

Thanks for the replies, I was a bit worried about offending the locals if it was frowned upon! ;)

helinuk Aug 20th 2004 8:53 pm

No its not the norm to tip in Singapore. As said above - its already on the bill. Taxis - again only to round it up and if I had a crazy driver -no tiP!
IMO - If a visitor tips in Asia it might have a knock on effect for the locals who earn a lot less than you. show gratitude with a smile and be friendly. The Singaporeans are keen to attract tourists they want to come across as hospitable not money grabbing. :)